• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Ghestem style problem

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-January-28, 11:30

2D was alerted and explained as both black suits as per the convention card. EW are relatively inexperienced and call you to the table asking for a ruling on this hand.

What do you say? Any other information required?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 12:12

I would ask South why he bid 2. I suspect this is going to turn out to be a misbid, in which case, unless I'm missing something, the result stands. Laws 20, 21, 75, 16, and 12.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 12:38

i would ask north why he only bid 3. noone who plays bridge would content himself with preference with 6 card support to an ace at green.

i would suspect north has prior experience of south's forgetting the methods.

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 13:12

View Postwank, on 2012-January-28, 12:38, said:

i would ask north why he only bid 3. noone who plays bridge would content himself with preference with 6 card support to an ace at green.

i would suspect north has prior experience of south's forgetting the methods.

Agree.

There is still some detective work to do. It is not so much the fact that the South hand doesn't match the explanation. It is the fact that the North hand didn't match his own explanation. That is a strong indication that North didn't believe his own explanation.

So, the question would be: What would have happened if North would have said: "It shows the black suits, but it has happened quite often that he has the majors [or whatever he would have had]." I am afraid that EW would still end in 3NT.

Do you think that the play would have gone differently with a better explanation?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-28, 14:11

View Postmr1303, on 2012-January-28, 11:30, said:

What do you say? Any other information required?

What was the result in 3NT? What result do EW hope for if they had been differently informed?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 16:10

View PostRMB1, on 2012-January-28, 14:11, said:

What was the result in 3NT? What result do EW hope for if they had been differently informed?

Presumably 3N made but they were rather hoping N would not field and bid 5 or 4 at this vulnerability first time. I wonder if there was body language when the explanation was given.

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-January-28, 17:24

In fairness, they said they weren't particularly damaged in the play, just thought that only bidding 3C with the North cards was "odd"

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 17:44

View Postmr1303, on 2012-January-28, 17:24, said:

In fairness, they said they weren't particularly damaged in the play, just thought that only bidding 3C with the North cards was "odd"

i suspect the ultimate answer depends to some extent on where you are. in england we've got a regulation to cover fielding partner's misbids: the table result would get thrown out and 60/40% awarded (unless the table score was already better for EW).

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 18:03

One view is that the English regulation simply gives specific guidance so that the director can avoid mentioning the dreaded CPU and just refer to the regulation, including "I don't have a choice, the regulation says it's gotta be 60/40". Other jurisdictions don't have the crutch, but a "fielded misbid" is still illegal under the law, and the director can still adjust where there is damage. If there was no damage, however, there should be no adjustment.

It sounds like EW just want NS "educated" about the laws. Fair enough.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-29, 04:16

unless I'm missing something, the result stands

For North to bid only 3is more than a bit surprising and I would be sharpening my PP axe as well as adjusting the score.

What would have happened if North would have said: "It shows the black suits, but it has happened quite often that he has the majors

For North to bid only 3is more than a bit surprising and I would be sharpening my PP axe as well as adjusting the score.

masters of understatement.

There is a high frequency of Ghestem misbids the most typical being a jump to 3 with a load of clubs. I find players more often seek to cater for a misbid of this convention than almost any other.

In this particular case I would be investigating the number that arose from 5x -7 as well as the PP. In a perfect world(which probably wouldn't include Ghestem at all) I would log on to the EBU database to find out how often this had happened before in this partnership and tailor my penalty to the number of occurrences. It might also include writing out 100 times "To bid only 3 opposite a hand that has shown a two suiter with clubs makes me guilty of unfair play"

If the bad bidding police are in town they could then have a go at South not for forgetting his own convention but imagining that this hand is suitable to show both majors

#11 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-29, 04:48

I don't see how we can adjust the score to 5x-7, at least in the EBU, since as wank says the regulations prescribe 60/40 for a fielded misbid (WB 90.4.2). Of course, there is nothing stopping us giving a swingeing PP.

#12 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-29, 13:52

There are lots of players who bid their better minor at the three level in response to an unusual 2NT unless they have substantial values. If you ask them why they didn't bid 5 they just look at you blankly. Perhaps this shows they don't really trust partner to have what he has shown, or perhaps they are uncomfortable bidding "on their own" when partner has only shown the suits artificially, not bid them.

For such players, 3 is not a red fielded misbid.

I guess I mean: 3 is not red fielding of the 2NT misbid.

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2012-January-30, 02:17

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#13 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 04:44

I don't see how we can adjust the score to 5♣x-7

No. It was only a pious hope together with helping to form a view as to the size of the PP. I agree with Robin's comment that poor players often don't think of bidding 5 unless they expect to make it but at least a part of the reason for this is to cater for partner forgetting earlier in the auction. It is similar to holding a decent hand with 4 and hearing partner wade in with 2 hearts and another over 1NT. If you bid lots of hearts you will find partner has a single suiter in clubs after all, not that they advertise the possibility.

#14 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 07:36

View PostRMB1, on 2012-January-29, 13:52, said:

There are lots of players who bid their better minor at the three level in response to an unusual 2NT unless they have substantial values. If you ask them why they didn't bid 5 they just look at you blankly. Perhaps this shows they don't really trust partner to have what he has shown, or perhaps they are uncomfortable bidding "on their own" when partner has only shown the suits artificially, not bid them.

For such players, 3 is not a red fielded misbid.

I guess I mean: 3 is not red fielding of the 2NT misbid.

Surely failing to save over 3NT cannot be construed as other than fielding?

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-30, 08:28

I know that this approach to misbids is how EBU directors are taught to rule, but I think it's ridiculous.

When you rule that a misbid has been fielded, you are ruling that there is an undisclosed partnership agreement.

If you gave the North hand to any bridge player, and told him that EW play a natural system without Canape, 2 showed the black suits, West's double showed what it normally shows, and West's alternatives included ways to show hearts and ways to show diamond support, what would he say?

He would say "Partner has misbid." You can infer this without ever having played a board with your partner, indeed without knowing anything about him - it's just obvious. Therefore North's actions do not provide any evidence of an undisclosed partnership agreement, and, in the absence of any other evidence, it's absurd to rule that they have such an agreement.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#16 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 08:36

View Postgnasher, on 2012-January-30, 08:28, said:

If you gave the North hand to any bridge player, and told him that EW play a natural system without Canape, 2 showed the black suits, West's double showed what it normally shows, and West's alternatives included ways to show hearts and ways to show diamond support, what would he say?

He would say "Partner has misbid." You can infer this without ever having played a board with your partner, indeed without knowing anything about him - it's just obvious. Therefore North's actions do not provide any evidence of an undisclosed partnership agreement, and, in the absence of any other evidence, it's absurd to rule that they have such an agreement.

I completely agree. The opponents' bidding is part of the authorised auction. There is a school of thought, which is more prevalent in the fielding of psyches, that one has to assume the opponents are randomly bidding two- or three-card suits, or bidding 3NT with a singleton club in each hand. This is not what the Laws say. Mind you there are plenty of players at my local club, and every club across the country, who would not even be aware that partner has misbid. They are bidding only 3C because they have "only four points, partner". Jeremy, "forgive them, for they know not what they do".
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#17 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-03, 14:57

I know that this approach to misbids is how EBU directors are taught to rule, but I think it's ridiculous.

When you rule that a misbid has been fielded, you are ruling that there is an undisclosed partnership agreement.

Are you suggesting that EBU TDs are taught to misjudge hands deliberately? That's ridiculous.

According to you, this hand was not a fielded misbid: fine, if it is not a fielded misbid, then you do not rule it a fielded misbid.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#18 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-03, 15:59

If North (an expert playing with this partner for the first or second time) said "I had so many clubs and so few hearts that I decided partner had forgotten the methods", would you believe him?

If North (a beginner) said "Partner had shown the black suits so I bid my longer black suit; I didn't bid more than three because I had a bad hand and they'd doubled 2", would you believe him?

If North (an expert playing with this partner for the thousandth time) said "I bid 3 so that when I later bid 5 over 4, they would be more likely to double me than to bid 5 or 6; when they bid 3NT I knew that either he'd forgotten or they'd gone crazy and 3NT would go down several on a club lead", would you believe him?

That is: I agree strongly with the notion that I would like to know why North acted as he did. But I would reserve judgement until I had an answer to the question.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 00:07

Why would he say that partner has misbid? There are three other players at the table, two of which are his relatively inexperienced opponents. If I would not have any previous experience with partner messing up a Ghestem auction, I would be sure that one of the opponents misbid. Only if partner has a history of forgetting the system in this situation, I would conclude that partner has misbid. But then I have a CPU.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-February-04, 06:47

View PostJeremy69A, on 2012-January-29, 04:16, said:

In a perfect world(which probably wouldn't include Ghestem at all) I would log on to the EBU database to find out how often this had happened before in this partnership and tailor my penalty to the number of occurrences.

It would be nice if such information were available.

I wonder what percentage of the time a convention has to be forgotten before you can say that the partnership are not actually playing it, and rule misinformation. Again though, you will never know how many times they have forgotten.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users