• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mechanic mistake Bridgelaws

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-27, 22:54

Playing a teamgame the declarer made a crazy mistake. My partner had doubled a staymanbid so I led against 3NT. In the end of the game the declarer put my
parner in with a . I had already discarded a when he discovered what he had done and said "Oh no, what did I do". He shud make the contract but went one down. Tournamentdirector changed the result to contract made as he said it was a mechanical mistake. Now I wonder if that was correct since I already had discarded.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-27, 23:54

Errors in play are not mechanical errors. Played cards are played cards, period.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 02:40

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-27, 22:54, said:

Tournamentdirector changed the result to contract made as he said it was a mechanical mistake.

Perhaps you could have asked him to read out the appropriate part of the law book?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-28, 21:59

View Postgordontd, on 2015-March-28, 02:40, said:

Perhaps you could have asked him to read out the appropriate part of the law book?

Law 47. Retraction of card played
C. To Change an Inadvertent Designation
A played card may be withdrawn and returned to the hand without further rectification after a change of designation permitted by Law 45.C.4(b).
Law 45. Card Played
C. Compulsory Play of Card
4(b) Until his partner has played a card a player may change an unintended designation if he does so without pause for thought. If an opponent has, in turn, played a card that was legal before the change in designation, that opponent may withdraw the card so played, return it to his hand, and substitute another.
Comment: John's misplay was the result of a "mechanical error," (as in "What the hell is this card doing on the table") not an error in thought or judgement. Therefore, Law 47 would appear to apply here. The mistake made on the part of all of us was not to recognize the situation immediately and take the appropriate action at the time.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 02:19

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-28, 21:59, said:

Law 47. Retraction of card played
C. To Change an Inadvertent Designation
A played card may be withdrawn and returned to the hand without further rectification after a change of designation permitted by Law 45.C.4(b).
Law 45. Card Played
C. Compulsory Play of Card
4(b) Until his partner has played a card a player may change an unintended designation if he does so without pause for thought. If an opponent has, in turn, played a card that was legal before the change in designation, that opponent may withdraw the card so played, return it to his hand, and substitute another.
Comment: John's misplay was the result of a "mechanical error," (as in "What the hell is this card doing on the table") not an error in thought or judgement. Therefore, Law 47 would appear to apply here. The mistake made on the part of all of us was not to recognize the situation immediately and take the appropriate action at the time.

None of this applies: he didn't designate a card, he played one.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   SteelWheel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 06:40

Take a look sometime at this:

http://www.bridgehan...ouver0399_8.pdf

The reader's attention is directed to page 4(?)--the infamous "Oh s---" incident and subsequent committee ruling. The majority decision of the committee was wrong then, and this decision is remarkably similar. The Laws are meant to protect players from true mechanical mistakes--not from "forgetting".

You wuz robbed.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-29, 07:42

The relevant laws are 48A:
Declarer is not subject to restriction for exposing a card (but see Law 45C2), and no card of declarer’s or dummy’s hand ever becomes a penalty card. Declarer is not required to play any card dropped accidentally.

...and 45C2:
Declarer must play a card from his hand if it is
a. held face up, touching or nearly touching the table; or
b. maintained in such a position as to indicate that it has been played.

There is a very similar thread in the Laws section and I would suggest that is more appropriate than the I/A forum.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 09:42

I tend to agree with Denny above, assuming the Director is competent.

Apparently a mechanical mistake is one where player wanted to (for example) play a low Diamond but instead led an adjacent Club from his hand.

So the question is whether that is the case.

It sounds like he meant to lead the Diamonds. After the hand was over, the Director must have determined that was the case. Diamonds were meant to be led. The club lead was a mistake, similar to a mis-click online. Hence, Director awarded the hand to Declarer.

It makes sense to me assuming the Director judged correctly.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 10:03

View PostTrump Echo, on 2015-March-29, 09:42, said:

Apparently a mechanical mistake is one where player wanted to (for example) play a low Diamond but instead led an adjacent Club from his hand.

No, that's not the question, since "mechanical mistake" doesn't appear in the Laws.

One question is "did he designate a card?" Since the answer to that is "No", all the quoted material from 47C & 45B4 becomes irrelevant.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 13:40

Can i be clear are there any laws which mean an undo is compulsory, or can imps chasers always refuse?

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-29, 15:07

View PostTrump Echo, on 2015-March-29, 09:42, said:

I tend to agree with Denny above, assuming the Director is competent.

It sounds like he meant to lead the Diamonds. After the hand was over, the Director must have determined that was the case. Diamonds were meant to be led. The club lead was a mistake, similar to a mis-click online. Hence, Director awarded the hand to Declarer.

It makes sense to me assuming the Director judged correctly.

No. You really really cannot take back a played card (unless it is an illegal card). The relevant laws have been quoted.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-March-29, 15:42

View PostSteelWheel, on 2015-March-29, 06:40, said:

Take a look sometime at this:

http://www.bridgehan...ouver0399_8.pdf

The reader's attention is directed to page 4(?)--the infamous "Oh s---" incident and subsequent committee ruling. The majority decision of the committee was wrong then, and this decision is remarkably similar. The Laws are meant to protect players from true mechanical mistakes--not from "forgetting".

You wuz robbed.

The decision is not similar; the card was designated from dummy --- not played by declarer. OP was robbed in his case, but the committee ruling is not wrong in the Vandy case..given the facts the commitee determined there.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-29, 22:49

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-March-29, 15:42, said:

The decision is not similar; the card was designated from dummy --- not played by declarer. OP was robbed in his case, but the committee ruling is not wrong in the Vandy case..given the facts the commitee determined there.

I dont really understand the word "designated" but the card was played from his hand. He played my partners suit by mistake and found out after I had discarded a . He then called TD and said I didnt mean to play a and TD changed the result to 3NT just made. I have played bridge 45 years and never seen something similar before. In my world a played card is a played card and cannot be changed.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-March-29, 23:28

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-29, 22:49, said:

I dont really understand the word "designated" but the card was played from his hand. He played my partners suit by mistake and found out after I had discarded a . He then called TD and said I didnt mean to play a and TD changed the result to 3NT just made. I have played bridge 45 years and never seen something similar before. In my world a played card is a played card and cannot be changed.

That's what I said. You was robbed. Steelwheel's reference to the Vandy ruling has nothing to do with your case.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 03:28

View Postzillahandp, on 2015-March-29, 13:40, said:

Can i be clear are there any laws which mean an undo is compulsory, or can imps chasers always refuse?

The BBO software allows undo requests in play which is contrary to the laws anyway, except maybe if declarer misclicks a card in dummy and one could argue that that should be treated as inadvent designation.

On the other hand, the BBO software also allows the table host to disallow undo during the auction. This is also contrary to the laws as a player should be allowed to undo a call that was a mechanical error.

If opps ask for undo and you are not conviced that it was a mechanical error, you should call the director. Similarly, if opps reject your undo request and you insist it was a mechanical error, call the director.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 03:39

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-29, 22:49, said:

"Designating" a card simply means saying that is the card you want. This normally happens only when calling for a card from dummy. If declarer makes a slip of the tongue when calling for a card from dummy, he may correct it. If he physically plays the wrong card it cannot be corrected (unless it is also a revoke).

#17 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 05:50

View Postcampboy, on 2015-March-30, 03:39, said:

"Designating" a card simply means saying that is the card you want. This normally happens only when calling for a card from dummy. If declarer makes a slip of the tongue when calling for a card from dummy, he may correct it. If he physically plays the wrong card it cannot be corrected (unless it is also a revoke).

So playing a card from your hand can never be changed then ? TD in my bridgeclub in Chiangmai means if its an obvious bad play declarer has the right to say "I picked the wrong card by mistake" but I never heard of such a thing in my whole bridgelife.

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 06:23

I have a suggestion for next time you play a game under this director. While declaring, take a finesse. If it loses, call director and try to take it back and play for the drop instead. Just say, "I didn't mean to play that card".
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-30, 09:50

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-March-30, 05:50, said:

So playing a card from your hand can never be changed then ?

Right.

#20 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 03:58

View Postgordontd, on 2015-March-29, 02:19, said:

None of this applies: he didn't designate a card, he played one.

A friend from New York says a designated card is the same as a played card and can be from declarer, dummy or opponents. He also say that you dont know english if you make a difference between designated and played. Anyway how can you interpret a law so different. Maybe it shus be rewritten ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users