• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An ominous hand

#41 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 09:15

I usually open 1NT with 14-counts that have a 6322-hands (where 6 is a minor of course). I am not sure but I think I've had more bad results than good results doing this, the count may be 3-1 against me in the last year or so. I remember one silly 3NT-4 best.

I don't have enough data to come to any conclusions, and I certainly cannot claim that I know what is best. Usually when people say that they know without a doubt that one style is better than another, I think that they don't know what they are talking about. In clee's case I know that he (1) likes to make strong statements, (2) has played a lot of bridge in recent years, and (3) has been doing very well. I will certainly take his opinion seriously.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#42 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 09:32

After reading this thread, I will consider opening similar hands 1NT. At the table the notion never even crossed my mind, before posting here. That's all I could hope for - I don't know if Bridge even has "right" answers out of the context of skill level and system.

#43 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 17:52

rogerclee, on 2012-January-25, 13:55, said:

I am very comfortable saying that I know without a doubt that it is better to open 1N than 1D on hands like this. It's not even a matter of opinion/style, opening 1D is an extremely losing style.

You are easily within strength to open 1N, and opening 1N has tons of additional upside. You could make it impossible for them to find their fit, convince them not to bid game, convince them not to compete once it goes, say, 1N (2H) X P 3D, when a standard auction might go 1D 1H X 2H 3D 3H.

People will tell you things like opening 1N is matchpointitis or "too unilateral" or "misdescriptive/anti-partnership", but honestly those are just meaningless buzzwords and they just have not seen how amazing it is to open 1N on a hand like this. You have almost the perfect hand too, 6 solid and very little outside. I would consider it automatic to open 1N with Jx Txx AKQJxx Qx, and I would even do it with xx Txx AKQJxx Qx but that is more controversial.

Now that jdonn is back can we get roger to return? This was one of the greatest/funniest CLEE moments ever.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#44 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-01, 06:36

PhantomSac, on 2015-March-31, 17:52, said:

Now that jdonn is back can we get roger to return? This was one of the greatest/funniest CLEE moments ever.

It would be nice to see han again too. If you have any influence...
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users