• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One trick pony....

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-February-05, 23:42

As usual, this is aimed at beginners and intermediates, this is one of the easier ones, as it has only one obvious theme.

This hand was played in a recent tournament with 34 tables. At these tables, diamonds were played 15 times (9 times in 6D, most others in 5D), of all those in diamonds, only 2 pairs won 12 tricks. Of those in 3NT all those but one managed to go down. Not sure if this hint helps or hurts.

At your table you get a heart opening lead (the real unbid suit). This is a fairly routine hand (auction is just to let you know what the contract is).

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-06, 00:17

Oh, I think I see what you did there. Pitch and win A, then finesse in clubs. If it holds, there's no need to finesse in and you can guard against a 4-1 break. I think.

#3 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-06, 00:57

Pitch spade, play 10 of clubs, if it holds, play queen, it should be covered, take ace and lead another club. If rho shows out, ruff with 8 of diamonds and finesse lho for the queen of diamonds.

If rho has a club ruff with 10 of diamonds, if that holds and both follow suit on clubs, ruff a heart to hand and play a diamond to board intending to finesse the 9. If lho shows out of clubs but does not over ruff, play the ak of diamonds hoping for a 3-2 split.

If club finesse fails, you need the diamond finesse to succeed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users