BBO Discussion Forums: Showing 2 Suited Hands - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Showing 2 Suited Hands How many ways are there?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-30, 03:03

MisIry is explained in some detail on Ben's blog site here.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 03:09

View Post32519, on 2012-January-23, 03:46, said:

Three similar yet different 2-suited opening bids can be placed alongside each other and compared for effectiveness.

1.) Tartan Two’s can be weak 7-11 HCP (5-cards in the suit opened and 5-cards in a minor suit) or strong balanced 20-21 HCP http://www.pattayabr...Tartan-twos.htm
2.) Muiderberg Two’s 5-10 HCP with 5-cards in the suit opened and at least 4-cards in a minor suit (having 5-cards in the minor suit as well is becoming the norm) http://en.wikipedia....berg_convention
3.) Lucas Two’s (The only difference between Lucas Two’s and Muiderberg Two’s is that the second suit can be the other major when are opened)

I would love to hear from other players who have played Tartan Two’s (or still do play Tartan Two’s). How does this stack up e.g. when compared to the Multi 2 which contains the strong balanced hand pattern? Now your 2 is freed up for some other use as is the 2NT bid. What do you use these bids for now if you play Tartan Two’s?

Just having a shot in the dark here to generate thoughts from other more experienced players. How about including the Multi 2 and Tartan Two’s into your 2-level bids as follows –

Multi 2 promising 1 of the following hand patterns:
1.) Natural weak 2 in promising 2 of the top 3 honours or 3 of the top 5 honours
2.) Weak 2 in either major
3.) The 4-4-4-1 hand pattern and 17-24 HCP as suggested by Zelandakh in this thread http://www.bridgebas...1-hand-pattern/

Tartan Two’s/Lukas Two’s/Muiderberg Two’s promising 1 of the following hand patterns:
1.) 5-cards in the suit opened and 5-cards in a minor suit
2.) Possibility of holding 5+5 5-10 HCP when are opened
3.) Strong balanced hand 20-21 HCP

The 2NT bid which has been freed up can be used for anything you choose.

Any thoughts?

Sorry but does any of this belong in b/i...to put it another way.....50% of acbl members play this...60% of the world?

I think all of us are forgetting what most or almost most of our members play around the world and find confusing.

In other words really beginner level problems.

I think someone said more than 50% of acbl players have less than 175MP in the usa or in your world are they really talking about tartan/lukas two bids, etc etc etc.

#23 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-February-03, 00:03

Here are a few more lesser known ways for showing 2-suited hands. I stumbled across them purely by accident.

1.) Ivanhoe 2NT http://www.tractat.u...entions/Ivanhoe
2.) Frelling 2 http://www.tractat.u...ons/Frelling_2D
3.) Frelling 2 http://www.tractat.u...ons/Frelling_2S
4.) Ekrens 2 http://www.tractat.u...nventions/Ekren

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-03, 02:20

Since you really seem to be interested in this stuff I will also share with you my own way of handling 2-suiters after an opposing 1m opening...

2m = weak 2 in a major; or strong with spades and the other minor
2 = majors, weak
2 = spades and the other minor, weak
2NT = hearts and the other minor, weak or strong
3m = majors, strong
jump in other minor = wjo

You will not find this method anywhere else in your searches. I would still recommend Chris Ryall's site as your first point of call. He has a fair bit of information on assumed fit preempts (of which Ekrens is the best known example) as well as most other weak 2 opening styles. For 2-suited overcalls (as well as defences to 1NT and 1NT runouts) the best resource I know of on the internet is David Stevenson's site.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-February-03, 04:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-03, 02:20, said:

Since you really seem to be interested in this stuff ...

Zel, yes I am interested in this stuff. At best I can rate myself as an advancing player, though on my BBO profile I still prefer to use Intermediate.

B/Is are taught the more common or wider accepted methods for showing 2-suited hands (the topic of this thread). This by no means implies that these methods are the best. Not knowing what the other possibilities are, how can anyone decide if there is a better alternative or not? The feedback received from these threads trigger off other possibilities which I have every intention of experimenting with.

Refer to my post higher up covering Tartan Two’s. I am going to experiment with the possibilities covered in that post. If they work then retain them. If they don’t work then discard them. I greatly value your feedback. Inevitably it is both constructive and helpful. Some of the stuff that I am experimenting with is a suggested modification/improvement from you extending from an idea from me. The boundaries of bridge continue to shift. I’d hate to be classified as a conformist.

Read me signature: “Everyone has the right to be wrong. Some are just more wrong than others.” That can easily place me at the top of the list of those who are wrong. I would rather try something different and failing than never having tried at all. Being a conformist will never unlock other possibilities.

#26 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-04, 18:54

What a ridiculously wide-ranging topic. The general method is that you first bid one of your suits, then the second suit. There are exceptions.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users