BBO Discussion Forums: Looking for Input - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for Input

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-January-11, 16:06

Hello, and thank you for taking time to read/comment.

I have been working on a bid in me and my partner's system. First I will provide a full system opening bid chart to give a good overview.

1: 12-19 (4 card)
1: 12-19 (4 card)
1: 12-19 (4/5 card)
1: 12-19 (4/5 card)
1N: 15-17 (balanced)
2: 12+ (6 card major)
2: 20-21 (unbalanced) OR 22+ (balanced)
2/: 6-11 (6 card)
2N: 20-21 (balanced)
3/: 6-11 (6 card)
3/: 6-11 (7 card)
3N: DIRECT ACE
4/: 6-11 (8 card)
4/: 6-11 (8 card)
4N: DIRECT KING (4 ACES) OR (ACES+VOIDS)

The 2 opening bid promises an opening hand with a 6 card major. I have been modifying the reply bids to try and make it as effective as possible, while not causing problems with the bidding. The reply bids are as follows:

2: 12+ HCP (6+ card major)
- 2: 0-8 HCP
- 2: 9-11 HCP
- 2: 12+ HCP (single )
- 2N: 12+ HCP (single )
- 3: 12+ HCP (void or single w/ A)
- 3: 12+ HCP (void or single w/ A)
- 3: 12-14 HCP (2+ in both majors)
- 3: 15-17 HCP (2+ in both majors)
- 3N: 12+ HCP (single )
- 4: 12+ HCP (single )
- 4: 12+ HCP (void or single w/ A)
- 4: 12+ HCP (void or single w/ A)
- 4: 18-19 HCP (2+ in both majors)(5=STOP)
- 4N: 20+ HCP (2+ in both majors)(BLACKWOOD)

I am looking for flaws in the bidding replies or ways to make them better. I greatly appreciate all comments and suggestions.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-11, 20:23

I think it's very bad. For starters, I'd rather play 5-cd majors than 4-cd majors because opening 1M is so preemptive for further bidding. You'll have a lot of 1M-1N, P auctions. I can understand folks who play 4-cd majors in a strong club system or even in a natural system. But If you play 4-cd majors within a natural system, you ought to have some quality requirement for them so that partner can safely raise with three trump...and this means that you need occasionally open a 3-cd minor.

What do you do with your unbalanced hands of 22+? I guess some of these are handled with 2C. In any case, 2D doesn't leave much room for your unbalanced hands to describe their shape, especially if 22+ balanced hands also have to be described.

I think you'd be better off play 2/1 or a simple Precision system.

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 00:45

Thanks for the reply. I prefer 5cM, however my partner does not. When we open a major, we will rebid if we hold 5 or partner may even rebid the suit if they hold 3. Not normally many problems, but it does take getting used to. Unbalanced hands of 22+ are opened with 2D (2C). Same as always just the reply bids are slightly different. Hoping for more feedback on my reply bids to 2C.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 10:00

First of all, welcome to the forums.

I have to admit that I honestly cannot see the point of the 2 opening in this system. Let's compare the system with Benji Acol since this is probably one of the closer major systems in character. Here a 2 opening shows any GF. By comparison this system has 2 as 22+ bal or 20+ unbal (and not 1-suited). Much worse. And this is in an already cramped opening.

Comparing the 2 openers is only slightly better. In Benji a 2 opening shows a strong 2 in any suit or ~22-23(24) bal. You can play with the NT ranges but the basic character is clear. Quite a popular way of adapting this with weaker players is for 2 to cover most of the stronger 1-suiters as well as some NT range. If you do this you get a poor system that resembles the OP even more. Even now the 2 opening is covering alot less ground than any major 12+ though. This just seems close to unworkable for me but your playtesting will find this out better than I can judge it on paper.

The positive for the system is that these 1-suiters get taken out of the 1 level openings. The trouble is that this makes these openings less homogenous, not more, which is something I woudl regard as a negative. You also have to come up with some way of using the now free rebids such as 1 - 1; 2/3. I think the extra use of these bids has to be pretty stunning to make up for the negatives. Finally, if you want a 15-17 NT then I think you should absolutely be playing 5 card majors. If you want 4 card majors then I would suggest dropping down to a 12-14 NT range unless you switch over to canape openings (which is certainly one way to try to make more from the 2 opening).
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 11:10

I agree with Zelandakh.

If you decide to play this anyway, I would change your response structure to 2C. Something like Multi 2D responses...

2D-wants to know which major responder has, shows interest
.....2H-minimum, 6 hearts
.....2S-minimum, 6 spades
.....other bids showing maximums
2H-says pass or correct
2S-says game invitational only in hearts

#6 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 04:23

Thanks for replies. I would like to do a 5cM with this as well. After 2D opening partner can show a 5 card major with 2H or 2S, 2NT is negative, 3C is asking for majors, 3D/3H show 5 card major (transfer).

I like that suggestion as well straube, but I have been looking for ways to allow partner to immediately show singles/voids in their reply ASAP. I have played a different version of this with relatively good success for awhile, but the major flaw is that we sometimes come to situations where partner may have a single heart to complement my 6 suited hearts.

The bid is to work as an offensive/defensive bid. Mostly for club play as it would not be allowed in most tournaments I would assume. If the LHO bids 2H/2S, My partner should double with a decent point holding. If the double is passed, I then go into control to pass the double (if my suit), or correct to the other major. For the LHO to bid a minor, this goes directly to the 3 level. Any double of a minor overbid shows 9-11 (usually 2/2 or greater in majors), while any pass shows 0-8.

It needs some work and testing. Appreciate all comments on the theory and will be hoping to test them all.

#7 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 04:26

@straube, I also had an idea for a 2D waiting bid reply, however, I decided that it is best to have partner of opener show information ASAP and put opener in the driver's seat. This helps get information out before the RHO can disrupt. A 2D waiting works well for a strong 2C, but when the opener can hold 12 HCP this leaves room for opponents to come in with bids.

#8 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 04:33

I have also debated having the 2C bid be a weak/strong 6 suit major. Allowing for other bids for 2H/2S. For example...2C=6+ HCP (6 card major).

The partner can then reply with points as before. The 3S/4S point reply would need to be adjusted to allow for a stop at 3H/4H however since I may hold 6 points.

If replacing the weak major openings, I would add a 10/14 5/5 major and lower opening.

2C - 6+ HCP (6 card major)
2D - 20-21 (unbalanced), 22+ (balanced), or STRONG GF
2H - 10-14 HCP (5/5 hearts+lower)
2S - 10-14 HCP (5/5 spades+lower)
2N - 20-21 (balanced)

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-25, 20:48

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-January-11, 16:06, said:

I am looking for flaws in the bidding replies or ways to make them better.

Why are you asking about this part specifically - are you happy with the rest of the system?

I greatly appreciate all comments and suggestions.

My suggestion is to bin it and start from scratch.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-January-26, 12:12

I don't see much wrong with anything, except the 2 and 2 openings. Oops, that's probably the core of the system. So I agree with mgoetze: bin it and start from scratch.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users