• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#861 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-26, 18:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-August-26, 12:29, said:

My sister-in-law lived in a section of St. Louis where this lane contraction occurred everyday on her way home - she would ride the bumper of the care in front of her to make certain that no one could merge. I sympathized with her pov.

While it's her right to cause herself high levels of stress and risk of an accident, it is very wrong to subject the driver in front to the same.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#862 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 23:18

Pet peeve millions if not hundreds of millions die from virus and yet we worry about merge into lane closure and the stress.... :(

wow you posters must love to drive.

1) you think about this stuff
2) you create all sorts of rules to deal with it

I hate to drive. I basically grew up without a car in my family or for myself.

If something like this happens my rule is:
1) avoid it
2) if I cant void then get through fast very fast
3) don't drive here again
4) 99% of you think you are good drivers
5) you are all horrible....U I am worse since I hate to drive :)
6) When I interviewed for my job my boss asked my if I love to travel.. I told him yes as long as I don't drive. I travel often ...I fly.

millions die and many more millions are injured while driving.

#863 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 23:55

For the record, I've had a license for 15 years now, and in both accidents I was involved in my car was not moving at all (once someone backed into me, another time a drunk rammed into me while I was standing at a stoplight)

#864 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-27, 00:52

It said anywhere from 25=50% of the drivers on the road late night, every night, are intoxicated.

People seem to forget the millions that have died and tens of millions that have been injured in auto related incidents.

---------------

For the record one more thing I hate about driving are people are who are not moving when they should be moving. They just sit at light or in the middle of the lane and never move. People seem to forget that a stoplight is also a move your car light at times. In fact that happened twice just today. They forget a stoplight is also a go light. But people do indeed love to sit and not move their car.

#865 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 01:22

Perhaps I should clarify the light was red and I wasn't even first in line.

#866 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-August-27, 06:30

View PostAntrax, on 2014-August-26, 23:55, said:

For the record, I've had a license for 15 years now, and in both accidents I was involved in my car was not moving at all (once someone backed into me, another time a drunk rammed into me while I was standing at a stoplight)

I can relate. Many years back I was driving a VW bug. I was at a red light and in the mirror I saw this car coming up behind me. Nothing to be done. A young woman was driving her boy friend's stick shift, she put on the clutch instead of the brake, and bam.

Another time I was stopped at a traffic circle in D.C.. A lane to my left a guy was coming around, his right rear tire was flat, he was concentrating on that and ran into my car. it got a little amusing, if you can call it that. A cop was there and took down insurance information and I presume saw what should have been a driver's license but I am not sure just what he saw. Later it rurned out that the guy's insurance was canceleed and his license had been suspended for not having insurance. Anyway, I don't much have accidents so I only carry liability and uninsured motorist coverage (you save a lot over sixty years). But I found that uninsured motorist coverage is a bit tricky. The insurance company called the guy and he said that I ran into him.I explained that it was the back of my car that was damaged and anyway maybe they should take my story as the correct one rather than the story of a guy who was driving without a license or insurance and had already lied about that. They siad that they only have to pay if they are 100% certain that i was 0% at fault and since he said that I ran into him that cleared them of having to pay. It went to whatever it's called, not court but one of those things where everyone sits in a room, and they had to pay. But it took a while. Why amusing? Well, I got my money and I got to watch insurance people try to explain with a straight face why they shouldn't have to pay. Not a job that I would like to have.
Ken

#867 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 07:22

Hey, I know a couple of friends who went driving drunk and entered the wrong direction in a roundabout. Figuring out their mistake, they did the only reasonable thing (if you're drunk), and shifted to reverse, so now they were going backwards but in technically the right direction. Naturally they ran into someone and THEIR insurance company refused to believe that damage to their car's rear could be their fault.
So you never know.

#868 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-August-27, 08:04

View Postmike777, on 2014-August-27, 00:52, said:

It said anywhere from 25=50% of the drivers on the road late night, every night, are intoxicated.

People seem to forget the millions that have died and tens of millions that have been injured in auto related incidents.

---------------

For the record one more thing I hate about driving are people are who are not moving when they should be moving. They just sit at light or in the middle of the lane and never move. People seem to forget that a stoplight is also a move your car light at times. In fact that happened twice just today. They forget a stoplight is also a go light. But people do indeed love to sit and not move their car.

The green light should be renamed the "stop texting" light.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#869 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-August-27, 08:26

View Postkenberg, on 2014-August-27, 06:30, said:

I can relate. Many years back I was driving a VW bug. I was at a red light and in the mirror I saw this car coming up behind me. Nothing to be done. A young woman was driving her boy friend's stick shift, she put on the clutch instead of the brake, and bam.

This happened to me once too. The impact of the car behind sent me right across the intersection, luckily the light had just turned red, so there were no cars coming across yet. It was raining, and I think that probably the car behind didn't give themselves enough time to stop.

Later it rurned out that the guy's insurance was canceleed and his license had been suspended for not having insurance. Anyway, I don't much have accidents so I only carry liability and uninsured motorist coverage (you save a lot over sixty years). But I found that uninsured motorist coverage is a bit tricky.

When my car was totalled by an uninsured and unlicensed driver, it was parked, so there was never a question of it having been my fault. But the uninsured motorist coverage in New Jersey was a joke; after months of calling and writing I never got any money, and eventually gave up.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#870 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 11:39

Mike: others have given the response to your rhetorical "but what about <other, to me bigger, problem?>" tactic before. No different here - that's either "your priorities must be my priorities" (no, actually, they don't) or strictly a derailing tactic, because there's *always* a bigger problem to solve, until at least the big problem is unsolvable (at least by us).

But specifically in this case - Unclear on the concept, much? A pet peeve, by definition, isn't a big problem - it's admitted, by the peeved, as a "tiny little thing" that is irritating way out of proportion to its actual severity.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#871 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-27, 14:32

View Postkenberg, on 2014-August-26, 07:12, said:

If he doesn't realize he is an idiot, honking at him probably wouldn't help.

The word is "obliviot" (thanks to Randy Cassingham, I think).

Alternatively, you could mount twin .50s behind your grill, and light him up. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#872 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-09, 04:40

Anyone else getting sick of the phrase "boots on the ground"?

#873 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-October-09, 05:24

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-09, 04:40, said:

Good God Yes. I think that I was tired of it the first time I heard it!
Ken

#874 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 06:59

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-09, 04:40, said:

Yes. I prefer "wellies in the mud" or "sandals in the sand". At least that will give you an idea of the local circumstances.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#875 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 07:01

I just noticed that we haven't had any peeves in the month of October. Anyone else find that disturbing?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#876 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-09, 07:44

I hate when we run out of peeves.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#877 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-October-09, 09:36

I am getting tired of "strawman" in internet discussions. It is not even significantly overused falsely, just overused period. Just say "That is not what I said."
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#878 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-October-09, 14:25

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-October-09, 07:01, said:

I just noticed that we haven't had any peeves in the month of October. Anyone else find that disturbing?

Rik

If you look at the last 100,000 Octobers, there have been many such gaps.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#879 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 15:00

Another pet peeve: People mixing up September and October.

Really, how hard can it be?

Rik

#880 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-October-09, 15:48

View Postgwnn, on 2014-October-09, 09:36, said:

I am getting tired of "strawman" in internet discussions. It is not even significantly overused falsely, just overused period. Just say "That is not what I said."

It also doesn't help that the meaning in the UK at one time was rather different to the one in the US (although I think the US one is taking over here), so I have to be very careful when people use it in posts.

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users