• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#301 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-04, 14:45

NCSoft.

NCSoft are a Korean MMO publisher that know what they're doing in the Korean market but are clueless when dealing with westerners. They took over and probably at the time saved City of Heroes, a MMO I've played for more than 8 years. Out of the blue, a month ago they sacked all the staff and disbanded the US studio and said the game was closing in 3 months as it didn't fit the new company vision. Earlier in the day, the developers were talking about what their plans were for the next 2 years, so this was a huge shock to them too. The game is still profitable. They won't now sell the IP, even though several consortia want to buy it and NCSoft will never use it again.

Efforts are continuing to save the game, but there's little we can do if they won't release the IP although it looks like there's going to be a serious fan led attempt to build our own superhero MMO as the others are crap. The campaign on social media however to save the game is a new phenomenon in the industry. A petition with more than 20,000 signatures was started and a vigil was held (and thoroughly reported in the MMO internet press) where we managed to fill 2 servers and overflow onto a third. It will be interesting to see if any western studio will deal with NCSoft or any other Korean publisher in the future, as there is a real sense of outrage among the MMO community and press, and a growing group who won't touch anything NCSoft has anything to do with.

If anybody feels like signing the petition, it's at:

http://www.change.or...-city-of-heroes

#302 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-04, 15:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-October-04, 14:45, said:

NCSoft.

They shut down a profitable game that was wholly run by an outside subsidiary that did nothing else but run that game under the premise that it didn't fit their vision going forward?

That really sounds like a top guy in paragon studios got pissed and said this happens or else and a top guy in NCSoft got even more pissed and said or else indeed.

This really smacks of a personal feud that got way out of hand and that will likely destroy this community and will definitely badly damage NCSoft vital reputation with their consumers, forever, perhaps fatally.

My condolences for your community.

#303 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-04, 15:48

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-October-04, 15:31, said:

They shut down a profitable game that was wholly run by an outside subsidiary that did nothing else but run that game under the premise that it didn't fit their vision going forward?

That really sounds like a top guy in paragon studios got pissed and said this happens or else and a top guy in NCSoft got even more pissed and said or else indeed.

This really smacks of a personal feud that got way out of hand and that will likely destroy this community and will definitely badly damage NCSoft vital reputation with their consumers, forever, perhaps fatally.

My condolences for your community.

NCSoft posted a loss due to their Korean MMO revenue falling off a cliff. Paragon studios was a wholly owned subsidiary that originally only did CoH but were latterly also working on an unknown other project with different IP. Recently a Japanese company took a sizable shareholding in NCSoft and the guess is that they put the pressure on to give up on the west. I suspect had Guild wars 2 not been about to release, that might have been canned too. I believe NCSoft when they say they were refocussing, but think they're handling it in a particularly stupid way that is standard for Korea but unacceptable in the west.

Your theory of a personal feud is not one I've seen before having read a lot of press and forum posts from people who know the Paragon people well (the author Mercedes Lackey for one), so I don't think it's that likely.

NCSoft then posted something saying "we've done all we can but can't sell the IP" and we know several other consortia are interested but haven't even been spoken to, so NCSoft just wants to bury the game, the community still has other ideas, and I'm not sure what will happen next.

#304 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 05:12

what does IP stand for in this context?

#305 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 06:11

Intellectual Property.

#306 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-05, 06:36

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-05, 06:11, said:

Intellectual Property.

Indeed, in this case the lore and characters in the setting as well as the actual code.

#307 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 09:42

Translation: If we sell the game, we lose our customers. If we kill the game, we lose most of our customers, but some may spend their CoH time on one of our games.

Lovely.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#308 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-05, 11:15

View Postmycroft, on 2012-October-05, 09:42, said:

Translation: If we sell the game, we lose our customers. If we kill the game, we lose most of our customers, but some may spend their CoH time on one of our games.

Lovely.

This is pretty much it, but I think they've misjudged it. The CoH closure has caused enough of a storm that not only will many of the CoH players not touch anything with NCSoft's stamp on it with a 10' pole, they'll also shout about it and NCSoft will lose other non CoH customers worried about NCSoft just closing it down (they have a terrible record on this, Auto Assault, Exteel, Dungeon runners, Tabula Rasa among others). As it is, many people with CoH accounts also buy other NCSoft stuff, I played GW and was wondering whether to buy GW2 when they announced the closure.

The CoH community is also publicising a little legal case where NCSoft forged a resignation letter from Richard Garriott to force him to exercise stock options at a very bad time when he couldn't immediately do anything about it as he was in quarantine having just completed a space flight. That cost NCSoft $28M and less bad publicity at the time than they're getting now.

http://www.joystiq.c...t-ncsoft-again/

#309 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 15:39

I didn't check my email for a day or so and found three PAGES of junk on it this morning.It's very annoying that anyone can track where you go and what you do on the internet but nobody seems to be able to keep track of what emails in the inbox get marked as junk and deleted time and time again.

Someone told me that marketers can track if you even delete a message so then they know it is a "live" email address and redouble their messages. Hotmail SAYS they intecept and prevent messages marked as junk from getting into the inbox but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case. And if they can track what stores I visit even if I don't buy (and they can and do) then why can't they simply stop messages I've marked as spam from coming in to either my inbox or my junk mail at all??? If the providers could spend a little more time actually doing something productive for their CLIENT with all the info they collect it would be a welcome change.

#310 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 21:29

Someone told me that marketers can track if you even delete a message
He was wrong. There are some tricks to find out if someone opens an email (though they can be circumvented) but not deleting unread emails.
Gmail has pretty good spam protection. What kind of spam do you get?

#311 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 14:25

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-30, 21:29, said:

He was wrong. There are some tricks to find out if someone opens an email (though they can be circumvented) but not deleting unread emails.
Gmail has pretty good spam protection. What kind of spam do you get?

The whole gamut from the usual male enhancement crap to incessant messages from the university of Phoenix. I know where some of it comes from.. a site I signed up with for some information almost definitely sells the email addresses. So mailing lists that get sold over and over spawn emails from new suckers who buy the things and annoy people. Most privacy policies are worth almost as much as most Canadian politicians' campaign promises.

#312 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 22:00

Okay, so the simple stuff gmail usually handles well.

#313 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-02, 07:13

It's been a long time since I have received advertisements for male enhancement. Probably the nude photos I posted on Facebook convinced them I have no need for their products. Or that I am beyond hope. One or the other. My wife insits that I explain here that I am joking.

I used to get high class spam. Stuff written in Russian that invited me to give a mathematics talk in St. Petersberg or something like that. Sort of the academic version of the Nigerian needing help to move his fortune. Or maybe they are all sitting there anxiously awaiting my arrival.

Anyway, gmail indeed seems to be quite adept at dumping this stuff. I really should check my spam folder more often On rare, really rare, occasions gmail has identified something as trash which really wasn't. It has never done this for anything important, but sometimes there have been messages that I probably want to read and trash rather than just trash unopened.
Ken

#314 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-02, 07:52

Does your wife proofread all your posts kenberg? :)

Gmail has a pretty good spam filter but it has happened that semi-important messages got lost that way.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#315 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-02, 08:33

View Postgwnn, on 2012-November-02, 07:52, said:

Does your wife proofread all your posts kenberg? :)

Sure. She finds my political analyses extremely incisive and my humor brilliant. She has a flair for sarcasm.
Ken

#316 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-11, 13:11

Is it really necessary for every mention of Myanmar in the media to include the phrase "also known as Burma"?

Back when they renamed Boylston Street in Harvard Square to John F. Kennedy Boulevard, the new street signs had "Formerly Boylston St" in small print, and my group of geeky friends liked to refer to the street by the latter name as a joke. But we weren't doing it on professional newscasts.

#317 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 13:55

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-11, 13:11, said:

Is it really necessary for every mention of Myanmar in the media to include the phrase "also known as Burma"?

Back when they renamed Boylston Street in Harvard Square to John F. Kennedy Boulevard, the new street signs had "Formerly Boylston St" in small print, and my group of geeky friends liked to refer to the street by the latter name as a joke. But we weren't doing it on professional newscasts.

Yes, and I have to change planes in Idlewild next month.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#318 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-11, 14:49

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-November-11, 13:55, said:

Yes, and I have to change planes in Idlewild next month.

That airport serves New Amsterdam, right?
Ken

#319 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:36

Well, apparently the difference is that this is not just a "formerly known" situation; many countries, including the US I think, have not officially recognized the name change and still refer to it as Burma.

http://en.wikipedia....Burma#Etymology

#320 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 11:14

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-11, 13:11, said:

I believe it is "formerly known as" not "also". That has been confirmed by Prince.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users