• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#281 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-22, 14:42

Electrocution is death caused by electric shock, either accidental or deliberate.

It is a portmanteau of electric and execution.

Stop using this word incorrectly. Thanks.

Bonus pet peeve: people who post stupid ***** on facebook (so basically everyone).
OK
bed

#282 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-22, 15:56

View PostFoxx, on 2012-May-31, 15:50, said:

"alot"

I have no idea where this came from and I see it way too often.

I don't recall ever seeing it until this thread.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#283 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-22, 20:14

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-September-22, 14:42, said:

Electrocution is death caused by electric shock, either accidental or deliberate.

It is a portmanteau of electric and execution.

Stop using this word incorrectly. Thanks.

Is your complaint that people use this when the victim didn't actually die? My dictionary (the one that comes with Mac OS X, I think it's Oxford American) says that electrocute means "injure or kill someone by electric shock". So if you survive, you've still been electrocuted.

#284 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-22, 20:35

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-22, 20:14, said:

Is your complaint that people use this when the victim didn't actually die? My dictionary (the one that comes with Mac OS X, I think it's Oxford American) says that electrocute means "injure or kill someone by electric shock". So if you survive, you've still been electrocuted.

oxford's solution to any frequently misused word it seems.

they forgot to tell anyone else they were changing the definition i suppose.
OK
bed

#285 User is offline   VMars 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-22, 23:58

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-31, 17:25, said:

Just in case people want to see the whole thing, this came from the blog Hyperbole and A Half. http://hyperboleanda...everything.html

My favorite is the one with the cake. Even though I've read it before, I still laugh.

#286 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-23, 00:40

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-January-17, 09:15, said:

People who complain about tipping, don't understand tipping etiquette, under-tip, or fail to tip the waiter despite the kitchen being entirely at fault.

Don't need to worry about that in Australia, nobody tips anybody, except as a way to avoid small coins in change :)

This confused the heck out of us, when we went on a round-the-world trip a few years ago. Got off at LAX and took a shuttle bus to the hotel, and the driver kept hanging around us and chatting while we were trying to carry our bags into the reception, even though there were other people on the bus who needed to get to their hotels too. It really creeped us out. A few days later my uncle explained to us how things worked there, that service people get like 50c an hour and rely on tips so everybody always gives tips. We felt guilty and very sorry for the people at the restaurants and stuff we went to before we visited my uncle!!
I Transfers

#287 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-23, 19:32

from Oxford English Dictionary

electrocute, v.
Pronunciation: Brit. /ᵻˈlɛktrəkjuːt/ , U.S. /əˈlɛktrəˌkjut/ , /iˈlɛktrəˌkjut/
Forms: 18– electricute (now nonstandard), 18– electrocute.
Etymology: < electro- comb. form + -cute (in execute v.). Compare electrocution n....
orig. U.S.

1. trans. To put to death by means of a powerful electric current; to execute in the electric chair.

1889 Trenton (New Jersey) Times 7 June 4/2 (heading) He wants to be ‘electrocuted’... An offer on the part of a man..to act as a victim..by testing the..new apparatus for executing by electricity.

1890 Congress. Rec. 8375/1 That the gentleman..should be ‘electrocuted’ by the Kemmler process recently adopted in the state of New York.

1903 W. D. Howells Lett. Home v 32, I could be sitting this moment with the transmitter at my mouth, and the receivers strapped to both ears, and looking as if I were just going to be electrocuted.

1945 N. Mitford Pursuit of Love xiii. 101, I bet the Scotsboro' boys will be electrocuted in the end, if they don't die of old age first, that is.

2001 Times (Nexis) 28 July, In Georgia I stood outside death row as the state electrocuted a man I thought was probably innocent.

2. trans. To give an electric shock to; esp. (chiefly refl. or in pass.) to kill or injure by electric shock.

1890 Freeborn County Standard (Albert Lea, Minnesota) (Electronic text) 24 Sept., When venture-some rodents walk within a metallic cage, containing cheese, they are transfixed by a strong electric current and ‘electrocuted’.

1899 Times 11 Apr. 1/4 Continuation of the Monster Holiday Show. Marvellous performances... See to-day, at 3 and 8, Dr. Walford Bodie electrocute a man.

1909 Yorks. Post 4 Aug. 4/5 [A boy] who was electrocuted on the Mersey Railway last Saturday.

1939 D. L. Sayers In Teeth of Evid. 9 One of them got loose last time and tried to electrocute itself on the X-ray plant.

1988 Courier-Mail (Brisbane) (Nexis) 10 May, I was electrocuted. I can still smell the flesh burning.

2004 Chicago Tribune (Midwest ed.) 11 July x. 23/2, I wasn't going to touch a battery—I'd have electrocuted myself.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#288 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-24, 07:07

right. oxford is the only source that seems to have an alternate definition, which suggests the definition has evolved recently.

i'm not saying they're wrong, but they're wrong.
OK
bed

#289 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-24, 08:25

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-September-24, 07:07, said:

right. oxford is the only source that seems to have an alternate definition, which suggests the definition has evolved recently.

Recently? They give dates, and both definitions date from about a year apart.

#290 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-September-24, 09:42

Other than the 1988 (perhaps) and 2004 usages, all of these may suggest death. The 1899 version is less clear, though it's not hard to imagine that the implication is still that the man dies (but is miraculously brought back to life because it's a show...).

I don't have a dog in this fight, just pointing out that i dont think what brr said is inconsistent with what's written.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#291 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-24, 11:07

Chicago Tribune...
OK
bed

#292 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-24, 12:29

I am somewhat surprised that the word existed in 1889 (first definition above). Apparently, it doesn't take long between a new technology development (electric power/transmission) and working out a way to kill someone with it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#293 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-02, 03:21

Patton scoring is bad enough but now I hear from MickyB's thread that they came up with 60% imps+40% mps? When is it going to end? IMP's and MP's are already close enough (much closer than most people pretend), great let's try all sorts of linear combinations! whooppie woo.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#294 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 05:27

View Postgwnn, on 2012-October-02, 03:21, said:

Patton scoring is bad enough but now I hear from MickyB's thread that they came up with 60% imps+40% mps? When is it going to end? IMP's and MP's are already close enough (much closer than most people pretend), great let's try all sorts of linear combinations! whooppie woo.

I think Patton scoring can be fun to play once a year. But I agree that using varying linear combinations of imps and mps is going overboard. Maybe we should be happy that they are not playing some linear combination of MPs, IMPs and Rubber scoring.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#295 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-October-03, 02:08

People who think reaching 10000 posts is something special.
      George Carlin

#296 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:54

Just to immortalize that post, so gwnn can feel free to post again :)

Posted Image

Oh and cause I am using flickr to host this, apparently I have to link back to them when I embed an image.

http://www.flickr.com/

#297 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 12:18

View Postgwnn, on 2012-October-03, 02:08, said:

People who think reaching 10000 posts is something special.

internet attention whores

Spoiler

OK
bed

#298 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-October-03, 16:22

I know people tend to blow these things out of proportion, jjbrr, but you gotta say that more people have been on Moon missions than reached 10000 posts on BBF.
      George Carlin

#299 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2012-October-03, 21:05

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-October-03, 12:18, said:

internet attention whores

As a more specific case, people who put "girl" in their screen name.

#300 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 21:59

View Postgwnn, on 2012-October-03, 16:22, said:

I know people tend to blow these things out of proportion, jjbrr, but you gotta say that more people have been on Moon missions than reached 10000 posts on BBF.

i will say more clowns have 10K+ posts than moon landings, yes.
OK
bed

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users