• You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#181 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 14:09

View Postmike777, on 2012-April-05, 13:58, said:

Citicorp keeps calling me telling me my mortgage is in default....

I keep telling them I dont have a mortgage with them and dont own a property at that address so default me

when I say prove it is me...they just ignore and start all over....

so they call me again ...same story.....

pet peeve..

I think you can sue them for harassment at some point. IANAL, but I seem to recall some recent articles discussing how courts are taking this very seriously these days.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#182 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-05, 14:15

I like to back in to parking spaces, and I admit that it's harder to stay between the lines, since you can't see the lines as easily. But if I notice I'm over the line when I open the door, I correct it.

I like to back in because I think there's more danger of backing into a pedestrian when pulling out backwards. And in some parking lots, it's pretty tight backing out and turning to get into the lane.

#183 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:12

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-05, 14:15, said:

I like to back in to parking spaces, and I admit that it's harder to stay between the lines, since you can't see the lines as easily. But if I notice I'm over the line when I open the door, I correct it.

I like to back in because I think there's more danger of backing into a pedestrian when pulling out backwards. And in some parking lots, it's pretty tight backing out and turning to get into the lane.

Ihate people who take forever to park...backing in just takes too long for most of you. Just park the darn car dont take an hour to do it.

#184 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-05, 23:06

Tell them if they don't knock it off, you'll sue them for harassment.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#185 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-April-05, 23:11

pet peeve

I hate when Baron Barclay advertises a book, in this latest case, 40th world championship item #5366 and they dont have it.

see acbl bulletin.

#186 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-11, 19:16

People who block subway doors when you're trying to get on or off, esp. the guy who blocked the 2nd door from the end of the northwest bound red line train at the Chinatown stop at approx. 7:30 PM today while muttering come on people the whole time.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#187 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-April-14, 15:34

I hate game of thrones, titanic and lost. 2 of them are coming back now and makes me angry.

#188 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-14, 16:06

View PostFluffy, on 2012-April-14, 15:34, said:

I hate game of thrones, titanic and lost. 2 of them are coming back now and makes me angry.

You don't need to be angry. Look at your remote control - there should be an "off" button. Sometimes it lies and "off" really means standby, but even in standby mode there are no pictures and no words.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#189 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-15, 09:06

Which reminds me of another pet peeve: people assuming everyone has a TV and being surprised when I tell them that I don't.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#190 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 10:01

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-15, 09:06, said:

Which reminds me of another pet peeve: people assuming everyone has a TV and being surprised when I tell them that I don't.

I didn't have a television for more than 20 years, and every year I would get a letter from the TV licence people asking me why I didn't have a licence. Not having a television was always a long way down the list of possible answers. For many years I didn't bother to answer, because I didn't think the onus should be on me to explain my non-TV-owning status, and a couple of times I did see the TV detector van right outside my home.

Probably there are those nowadays who find it as annoying that everyone assumes they have email - as indeed they should :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#191 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 11:18

My related peeve is that there's no way for me to tell people I don't have a TV without sounding like some righteous, condescending prick. In all honesty, I don't have one because what's on usually doesn't interest me, but people always take that to be some sort of moral judgement on how they prefer to spend their free time, as though any particular way can be superior to another.

#192 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-15, 11:31

View Postgordontd, on 2012-April-15, 10:01, said:

a couple of times I did see the TV detector van right outside my home.

TV detector van? Sounds really creepy!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#193 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-15, 11:49

The requirement for a TV license was one of the most bizarre aspects of life in England, to me.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#194 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-15, 12:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-15, 11:49, said:

The requirement for a TV license was one of the most bizarre aspects of life in England, to me.

Having a television and no license carries a penalty of a fine, not a custodial sentence, but you can go to prison, and people do, for non-payment of the fine.

I wonder what happens if you promise not to watch the BBC...

The BBC do produce better quality television than the commercial stations, on the whole. It has to be paid for somehow, and taxing the users seems fair, if a bit, as you say, bizarre.

#195 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-April-15, 13:42

My brother-in-law has a similar requirement in Japan. Where he first lived, the fee was collected door-to-door (maybe it still is -- we haven't discussed it for a long time), but when the collectors saw him, they assumed that he didn't speak Japanese and politely left without asking for it.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#196 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-15, 15:09

You think needing a TV license for having a TV is bizarre? In Germany you nowadays need a TV license for having a computer. Soon they are changing it again so that you need to have a TV license, period. I foresee some long drawn-out court cases about this change.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#197 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2012-April-15, 15:09

"zomfg i'm being so studious studying for finals i'm going to highlight every line of my notes with a different color highlighter -- the clicky ones, obv, because i love clicking them open and closed every 5 seconds (so gratifying, lolz!!<3)"
Kevin Fay

#198 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 17:16

I spent the latest 90's in South Africa where they had NO network TV before 1977 or so. At this time they bought the cheapest schlock and I watched an episode of the Beachcombers dubbed into Zulu.

It's the worst of Canadian TV ever but Bruno Gerussi never sounded so good. I haven't been able to watch much TV since and yes, you needed a licence for the "priviledge".
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#199 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 17:50

View Postkfay, on 2012-April-15, 15:09, said:

"zomfg i'm being so studious studying for finals i'm going to highlight every line of my notes with a different color highlighter -- the clicky ones, obv, because i love clicking them open and closed every 5 seconds (so gratifying, lolz!!<3)"

Don't you guys have access to nitro glycerin?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#200 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 00:28

Israel also has a tax on TV owners, ostensibly to pay for public broadcasting. It doesn't matter if you never watch it - unless you can prove you physically took the tuner part out, you have to pay.

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users