• You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#141 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-14, 07:22

Thanks. I need to maintain plausible deniability on the issue, though, because BunnyGo probably also hates people who block ads because it means they make the lives of honest, non-blocking people even more difficult. :P
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#142 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 07:36

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-14, 07:22, said:

Thanks. I need to maintain plausible deniability on the issue, though, because BunnyGo probably also hates people who block ads because it means they make the lives of honest, non-blocking people even more difficult. :P

:)
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#143 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 11:09

I like Adblock's new policy of whitelisting "inoffensive" ads, and I wish it would go further. My rule is "anything that moves, dies." - and "anything that could infect me, dies." Right now, that means that I'm going overbroad, which is bad and I feel uncomfortable about it.

(but, on the gripping hand, I run linux, so most things that would infect me, don't. It's so much fun to see the "windows virus checker" running its little heart out).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#144 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-14, 18:15

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-17, 07:26, said:

please enter a password between 8 and 12 characters long but which includes at least three of the following four groups:
(...)
please do not use intelligible words, any variations thereof, date of birth, passwords from other sites, anything that has anything to do with you.

DO NOT WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD ANYWHERE.

isn't this getting out of control?

http://xkcd.com/936/
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#145 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:26

View Postbroze, on 2012-March-14, 07:09, said:

Yes we are, and yes it can! :)

I've been using chrome and firefox with Adblock for years now and I've never seen a pre-video ad.

I don't think those years of data count, I've only been seeing pre-video ads for about a month.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#146 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-March-15, 12:55

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-17, 07:26, said:

please enter a password between 8 and 12 characters long but which includes at least three of the following four groups:
(...)
please do not use intelligible words, any variations thereof, date of birth, passwords from other sites, anything that has anything to do with you.

DO NOT WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD ANYWHERE.

isn't this getting out of control?

anyway, what is your pet peeve?

My middle son told me I needed to download and use KeePass. He was right.
<_<
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#147 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-15, 13:29

Bridge peeve:

Last night at the club the server wasn't working, so we had to use travellers (anyone remember those?) Anyway, we used the kind where you have to write on the line corresponding to the NS pair (and write in the pair number at the bottom for the arrow-switch).

Since matchpointing is rarely done by hand these days, why are these travellers still printed and used? It seems like a recipe for disaster -- it makes a lot more sense to use the kind where you write the score and both pair numbers on the first available line.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#148 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 14:06

Often when the clock changes I'll tell my wife you better hurry and she says "Oh no. I set it 4 minutes fast".

I'm used to it and it's fine but this year it was 12 minutes fast and I rushed out to a REALLY boring job much earlier than necessary. All I want is a heads up and each clock has its own time zone.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#149 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 15:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-15, 13:29, said:

Bridge peeve:

Last night at the club the server wasn't working, so we had to use travellers (anyone remember those?) Anyway, we used the kind where you have to write on the line corresponding to the NS pair (and write in the pair number at the bottom for the arrow-switch).

Since matchpointing is rarely done by hand these days, why are these travellers still printed and used? It seems like a recipe for disaster -- it makes a lot more sense to use the kind where you write the score and both pair numbers on the first available line.

The advantage comes when you are playing a movement with shared boards.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#150 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-15, 16:32

We apologise for the late running of this service. This was caused by the late arrival of the incoming train.

- so this train is late because the previous train was late. Very helpful.

We apologise for the late running of this service. This was caused by congestion at Clapham Junction.

- congestion? What, trains turning up unexpectedly? I thought there was something called a timetable.

#151 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 16:45

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-15, 16:32, said:

- so this train is late because the previous train was late. Very helpful.

- congestion? What, trains turning up unexpectedly? I thought there was something called a timetable.

One big reason for this is suicide by train. I know on the line between Los Angeles and San Diego this is a constant problem.

....Authorities say Juan Manuel Alvarez wanted to kill himself Wednesday when he drove his SUV onto a railroad track in Glendale, Calif., near Los Angeles. But he changed his mind and left the vehicle on the tracks, causing a chain-reaction derailment that killed 11 people and injured nearly 200.....

#152 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-15, 17:38

View Postmike777, on 2012-March-15, 16:45, said:

One big reason for this is suicide by train. I know on the line between Los Angeles and San Diego this is a constant problem.

It's a problem in the Underground too. I wish they wouldn't announce that the delay is due to a "person under the train". This is more information than I require.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#153 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-March-15, 18:01

Well, in Toronto, the rumour is that a "medical emergency" is almost always the driver - because the other problem is no longer a medical issue. So, TMI or "totally readable lie"?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#154 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-15, 19:52

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-15, 17:38, said:

It's a problem in the Underground too. I wish they wouldn't announce that the delay is due to a "person under the train". This is more information than I require.

It's called full disclosure (or full closure) :(
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#155 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-16, 00:07

Around here the MBTA delays usually are because of "signal problems". I never thought about it before, but now I wonder if that's a euphemism for something more serious.

It also reminds me of the earlier peeves about ambiguous numbers. When they announce transit delays, they'll say "The Red Line is running 10 minutes delayed." Does this mean that each train is 10 minutes behind schedule, or that it's taking trains 10 minutes longer than normal to get from one end to the other of their line? My assumption is that in the case of subway lines that run a train every few minutes, it must be the latter, since no one would notice the former problem; but for commuter trains that only have 1 or 2 trains an hour, it could be either.

#156 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 01:02

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-16, 00:07, said:

Around here the MBTA delays usually are because of "signal problems". I never thought about it before, but now I wonder if that's a euphemism for something more serious.

It also reminds me of the earlier peeves about ambiguous numbers. When they announce transit delays, they'll say "The Red Line is running 10 minutes delayed." Does this mean that each train is 10 minutes behind schedule, or that it's taking trains 10 minutes longer than normal to get from one end to the other of their line? My assumption is that in the case of subway lines that run a train every few minutes, it must be the latter, since no one would notice the former problem; but for commuter trains that only have 1 or 2 trains an hour, it could be either.

suicide by train is a huge delay problem here in the Usa.

you can spend billions for a fast train and suicides slow it down ......often to speeds of cheap old train...

I say this based on real life exp over years on this line.,..people die/hit all the time....

funny enough no one wants to talk about it since it is taxpayer money....

#157 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:16

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-16, 00:07, said:

Here we also have signalling problems. Often. When I lived in Moscow, there were never delays. The signals were apparently always working, and as for the people under the train, well, they probably just carried on.

It seems to me that if you are going to jump under a subway train, you should not expect your remains to de dealt with until the closing time of the line at night. You are not more important than millions of other people. In fact you are not as important as one single other person, because you are dead and they are not.

#158 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-March-16, 11:49

Unfortunately, as I said, "you" *are* less important than one specific other person, but that one person is somewhat more important to the running of the system than "millions of other people" - because she's the driver, and she (from stories I've heard from LRT train drivers) ain't running no train no more, at least not today (frequently ever).

#159 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 14:03

'I misclicked'

People who harass me for alleged slow play in a KO when our table isn't even behind.

Insane juries and prosecutors.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#160 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-21, 17:36

People responding to people who are on my ignore list.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users