BBO Discussion Forums: Nominations for the 2011 "Posty Awards" - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nominations for the 2011 "Posty Awards" black tie not required

#41 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-16, 02:19

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-January-15, 18:03, said:

Sadly, I think that i shall never top my sneetches post...

Ah good point, that was a great post (and a great thread). May I nominate both?

http://www.bridgebas...ew-star-policy/

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__542218
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#42 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-January-16, 07:53

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-January-15, 16:25, said:

Leave nominations open for more than a few days though so we can

A) Decide on the categories (again I agree that too many categories leaves things watered down and less meaningful)
B) Find individual posts/threads that are good.

Fair enough. I will leave nominations open for another week, until Monday, January 23, at midnight. Then I'll create a separate thread for the "official" voting. On Friday or Saturday, I'll post another list of nominations I've received so far, so others can see if I've made any glaring omissions.

As for deciding on the categories, my strong inclination is to stick with my original list of five awards (Newcomer, Best Thread, Best Post, "Real World", and Best Poster) with the addition of 32519's excellent suggestion of "Most Helpful Poster in B/I". That is such an important function of the BBOF that I think it deserves a separate award. I think issues like instructional vs. non-instructional, A/E vs. B/I, etc. can sort themselves out through the nominations and the voting. There hasn't been much call for increasing the number of awards, so I guess I'll just go with this scheme; if people subsequently decide there should be more/different awards, I can factor that in next year's poll.

EDIT: Also, if you nominate a post/thread, please include links, as gwnn has done above. Very helpful.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#43 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-16, 07:57

nominate this thread:
http://www.bridgebas...vel-belongs-to/

and this:
http://www.bridgebas...you-have-played

and this: (this is actually a helpful thread)
http://www.bridgebas...ding-judgement/

this was pretty hilarious:
http://www.bridgebas...lay-usa-trials/

(fyi I just clicked on myself and said 'my content' - then it gave me 22 pages of threads I posted in since 15-01-2011, and I looked at some of the threads with the most replies)
      George Carlin

#44 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-January-16, 08:23

There should also be an award for "Signature of the Year" for the most creative/funny/unusual signature. Many posters have come up with some great signatures.

#45 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-January-16, 08:42

View PostArtK78, on 2012-January-16, 08:23, said:

There should also be an award for "Signature of the Year" for the most creative/funny/unusual signature. Many posters have come up with some great signatures.

I heartily agree with the "Signature of the Year" award suggestion

FWIW, my favorite threads were:

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry227197

http://www.bridgebas...age__hl__martel
Alderaan delenda est

#46 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 08:50

As always the only award a spaniard can hope for is the non native english speaker award, but hey! there isn't one :(, oh well it would go for Csaba anyway, maybe a spannish native speaker award... for Hanoi you say?

I hate popularity contest Posted Image

#47 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-16, 08:54

Let me nominate VM1973 for best newcomer. For better or for worse he did challenge mainstream views and stimulated a lot of discussion. My impression was (as I have also written to him) that he didn't always read all the replies but he definitely made us think outside the box. I'm not saying he is better or worse than other newcomers just that I think he deserves a nomination.
      George Carlin

#48 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-January-16, 09:26

For best newcomer I would think SimonFa and Statto are worth nominations. Simon because of well thought out B/I posts and an excellent manner and Statto because he only joined in December but still managed to make a positive impression.
(-: Zel :-)

#49 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-January-16, 09:38

View PostFluffy, on 2012-January-16, 08:50, said:

As always the only award a spaniard can hope for is the non native english speaker award, but hey! there isn't one :(, oh well it would go for Csaba anyway, maybe a spannish native speaker award... for Hanoi you say?

I hate popularity contest Posted Image

I nominate Fluffy for the best-nickname-all-time-award.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#50 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-January-16, 09:41

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-16, 02:19, said:

Ah good point, that was a great post (and a great thread). May I nominate both?

http://www.bridgebas...ew-star-policy/

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__542218

I need to confess that I didn’t know the story of The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. I had to do a Google search for it. To save others the need to look it up who don’t the story either, I have copied it in here for you. Read this alongside the thread “The New Star Policy” http://www.bridgebas...ew-star-policy/ Brilliant!

The Sneetches
This story is an allegory for prejudice and discrimination, and also offers a lesson of materialism and entrepreneurship.
Sneetches are a group of vaguely avian yellow creatures who live on a beach. Some Sneetches have a green star on their bellies, and in the beginning of the story the absence of a star is the basis for discrimination. Sneetches who have stars on their bellies are part of the "in crowd," while Sneetches without stars are shunned and consequently mopey.
In the story, a character named Sylvester McMonkey McBean, calling himself a "fix-it-up chappie," appears, driving a cart of strange machines. He offers the Sneetches without stars a chance to have them by going through his Star-On machine, for three dollars. The treatment is instantly popular, but this upsets the original star-bellied Sneetches, as they are in danger of losing their method for discriminating between Sneetches. Then McBean tells them about his Star-Off machine, costing ten dollars. The Sneetches formerly with stars happily pay the money to have them removed in order to remain special.
However, McBean does not share the prejudices of the Sneetches, and allows the recently starred Sneetches through this machine as well. Ultimately this escalates, with the Sneetches running from one machine to the next,
"until neither the Plain nor the Star-Bellies knew whether this one was that one... or that one was this one or which one was what one... or what one was who."
This continues until the Sneetches are penniless and McBean departs a rich man, amused by their folly. Despite his assertion that "you can't teach a Sneetch," the Sneetches learn from this experience that neither plain-belly nor star-belly Sneetches are superior, and they are able to get along and become friends.

#51 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-16, 09:43

I didn't know of them either (except they were vaguely familiar). :) This cartoon is well worth watching :)

George Carlin

#52 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 10:04

Now I'm all conflicted. I came in here preparing to post how these things are popularity contests, but now I found out I'm one of the popular kids. So, uh, thanks guys.
To play along, not sure which category this would fall under (probably most helpful B/I poster?) but I think FrancesHinden definitely deserves a nomination. That is, a whole bunch of people do (for real, it's astounding how many world-class players here find time and interest in helping newbs), but hers are the posts that consistently go past the "wtp barrier" and cover every angle for me.

#53 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-January-16, 11:22

That's a great idea. I'll add it as a bonus category. Nominate away!

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#54 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 11:30

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-January-16, 08:42, said:

I heartily agree with the "Signature of the Year" award suggestion

FWIW, my favorite threads were:

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry227197

http://www.bridgebas...age__hl__martel

Both good threads...and both several years old.

#55 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 14:21

Posted Image
OK
bed

#56 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-January-16, 14:32

Thanks to me yes!
      George Carlin

#57 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 14:48

I nominate awm for poster of the year. He's particularly helpful in the Non-natural Systems Forum

#58 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-January-16, 17:28

I will nominate all the posters who respond in a helpful, non-sarcastic way to the questions posted in the B/I forum. There are too many to list, I'm afraid I would forget someone if I tried but I hope you know your input is much appreciated.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#59 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-16, 17:51

I like the idea, but I am conflicted when it comes to poster of the year.

What are we looking for?

For example, I can think of a number of candidates...including some I won't mention for space reasons.

Justin is obvious....a combination of quantity and quality, delivered, especially this year, with non-condescending politeness. Even, and perhaps most often, when I disagree with him, I feel I have expanded my horizons.

Fred: to me, just as obvious. He posts rarely, but imo the quality of his posts is of a more uniformly high level than those of anyone else.

Jillybean: I think she would get my vote on this one. She posts on a regular basis and has a great attitude towards the game. She posts to get answers, and her followups reveal that she reads the responses to her questions with that goal in mind. She is by far and away the most prolific B/I poster we have, and her topics and the answers they generate appear to me to be more relevant to the average player than many of the more advanced/expert threads.

Jb asks rather than answers, but we'd have a very poor forum if we didn't have people willing to ask questions. We never see from jb a post, the purpose of which turns out to be either to show off or to prove to a partner than he or she was wrong...her posts always seem to be from a genuine desire to improve....and that's what this forum should be all about. Hence I think that the person who generates the most useful discussions is as worthy as or more worthy than the person who provides the most useful answers within those discussions.

I almost didn't post, because there are a number of others worthy, imo, of mention in the context of poster of the year. I'm not going to name names, because I might have overlooked somebody...besides, if you list, say, 8 names, why not 9? and so on.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#60 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 18:55

I would like to nominate Helene for best upvoter.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users