BBO Discussion Forums: raptor or equal level conversion ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

raptor or equal level conversion ?

#1 User is offline   nofr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-02, 14:30

have you made the choice :
- raptor when opening bid is a minor
- equal level conversion when opening bid is a major

what do you think about this ?

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-02, 16:53

Intuitively raptor is better after major than after minor (known 4card major) and classical 1NT is better after minor than after major (more often they have no real suit and we are 4-2 in majors).
Just intuition. Raptor is for sure playable as is ELC. Play a bit and see how it goes.

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 03:07

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-January-02, 16:53, said:

Intuitively raptor is better after major than after minor (known 4card major) and classical 1NT is better after minor than after major (more often they have no real suit and we are 4-2 in majors).
Just intuition. Raptor is for sure playable as is ELC. Play a bit and see how it goes.

Intuition can be deceiving.
Nowadays many people open a short minor and the Raptor is a useful defense against minor suit openings, where the 1NT overcall does not necessarily specify that you hold the other minor. So the convention tends to crop up against minor suit openings much more frequently and covers a real problem in standard bidding.

Equal level conversion can only describe hands where you are short in the lowest unbid suit and long in the middle unbid suit, so is no real alternative to Raptor. e.g. after a 1 opening you hold 4 s and long s.
Raptor is a useful convention. Unfortunately it solves a problem by giving you another one, what to do with a natural 1NT over-call.
Doubling instead with a strong notrump when you might hold a doubleton in an unbid major is asking for trouble.

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 20:07

Doubling instead with a strong notrump when you might hold a doubleton in an unbid major is asking for trouble.

Yeah I agree. That was my main reason to want classical 1NT available after minor opener. Those 15-17 4-2-4-3 might real pain without it.
Anyway, I haven't thought much about it, you might be right that it's more useful after minor.
Raptor got a lot of slack from good players as being bad convention but I think that after recent BB where 2 out of 3 winning pairs plays it and with pair like Balicki - Zmudzinski playing it for several decades I think it deserves respect.

#5 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-03, 22:28

have you made the choice :
- raptor when opening bid is a minor
- equal level conversion when opening bid is a major

what do you think about this ?

*** Flesh this out for its effect on actual-used
and inferences on other overcalls.
Worth looking at that systemic effect.

Page 1 of 1