BBO Discussion Forums: Does the convention have a name? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does the convention have a name?

#21 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-December-19, 16:42

Assuming you don't dedicate any of the three lvl bids for weak or slammish minor hands: (I still play 3m as invitational, I think most don't)
You have 2 and 2NT bids to handle whole lot of minor suit hands and in addition natural invite. (Although you can survive without it if you so choose)

I think there are two ok methods, which both have been mentioned. Other being 2 a range ask, including SO with long minor or SI with long minor. 2NT then is both minors, weak or slammish. (This is a bit simpler but gives opps a chance to double 2 n all your inv auctions)

Other which I tend to play is 2NT natural and 2 as minor suit stayman, which I can bid with all minor oriented hands. (But I wouldn't cramp slam invitational (54) minor hands here, that's too much)

Mainly my point is that using 2 simply as transfer to clubs, even perhaps including single suited slam invites, you can't bid it with 55 minor hands, which you could easily do if just playing MSS.

Space for slam hands is awfully tight after MSS, so if someone has a good structure for continuations, I'd like a look.
My current version: http://toohighagain....tinuations.html

I guess playing "real MSS" where 3m is 4 cards and 2NT none would be much better for slam exploration and could handle more hand types easily. I actually never really realized that all you have to give up is weak club hands. Though which bid to dedicate for them then...

#22 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2011-December-19, 18:50

View PostFlameous, on 2011-December-19, 16:42, said:

Mainly my point is that using 2 simply as transfer to clubs, even perhaps including single suited slam invites, you can't bid it with 55 minor hands, which you could easily do if just playing MSS.

Why not?

1NT - 2 - 2NT/3 - 3... both minors, slam try.

#23 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-20, 16:55

When I play it, I explain as "weak or strong in either minor."

I prefer a lot of other meanings as well, but it's only wasteful of useful space if they were going to use it - which most don't.

However, please avoid in explanations the T word. It is *not* a transfer to clubs, and there *will* be problems when fourth-hand has a 3 overcall he didn't get to make.

ESPECIALLY (in the ACBL, at least, where this applies), don't *Announce it* as a Transfer. Even if it were, it's still an Alert.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-21, 06:42

View PostFlameous, on 2011-December-19, 16:42, said:

If you do not include strong 1-suited hands then you can handle all relevant 2-suiters as well as the (semi-)balanced invite without a probem. After 1NT - 2S; 2NT (or 3C) 3C (or pass of 3C) = weak; 3D = clubs with hearts; 3H = clubs with spades; 3S = both minors for example. You can handle the strong 1-suited hands via an immediate 3C response. Alternatively, if you handle the 4M5+C hands via Stayman then you can just devote one of the follow-up bids to both minors (rather than shortage); or, if none of these appeals, you can make a special sequence to handle both minor hands - an immediate 3 level response that is not used for something else for example. I am naturally a little biased towards the first of these options since it is part of my preferred 1NT response structure. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users