BBO Discussion Forums: Foreign languages - rate your skills - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Foreign languages - rate your skills

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-29, 04:13

View PostElianna, on 2011-November-29, 21:54, said:

What was good about learning Hungarian was that it was so different than all the other languages I've attempted to learn, so there wasn't going to be a case of my attempting to use vocab/grammar from a different language in it (like French and Spanish).

I started learning Hungarian because I studied abroad there. Now I would say that I can't speak it at all, but I can take a running stab at common phrases, know my numbers, and know how to say that I don't speak Hungarian, and speak a little Hungarian.

I could likely read a child's picture book. :)

But darned if I could pronounce the difference o or u with an umlaut over it correctly (sorry, don't have an appropriate keyboard).

Been listening to a lot of Hungarian music lately so picking up a few words, the bit of pronounciation I haven't sussed is when an e with an accent on it is pronounced "ee" and when it's pronounced "ay" like a french e acute.

English 1
French 4-5
Spanish 5-6
German 6

#22 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-29, 04:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-June-29, 04:13, said:

Been listening to a lot of Hungarian music lately so picking up a few words, the bit of pronounciation I haven't sussed is when an e with an accent on it is pronounced "ee" and when it's pronounced "ay" like a french e acute.

It's always the same sound really (<e:> as in hey - we even say hé!) but it might be something that depends on the surrounding letters. "ee" corresponds to í (<i:> as in heed: we have the word híd meaning a physical bridge). But I was trying to show the difference between é and í to a girlfriend a long time ago and she thought the two were nearly identical, so maybe I'm doing it wrong :P I think it's just a question of isolated sounds sometimes sounding weird.

As an aside, does anyone here watch Louie? The Hungarian girl in Season 4 has a marked American accent since that's where she grew up.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 09:17

Hejsan allihopa!

C'est dommage que tous les forum posters boasting about their language skills write this på Engelska. Så är det inte möjligt för andra att bedöma om de verkligen talar dessa språk. Jag, däremot, kann das hier in sieben Sprachen schreiben und so können Sie genau sehen ob je puis parler mes langues étrangères. Ich möchte gerne een beetje bewijs zien voordat ik al die fantastische verhalen over buitenlandse talen geloof. Tot nu toe, je n'en crois rien du tout. Allors, quand vais je voir een peu de bevis? Jag väntar. Kiitos.

Mittlerweile denke ich das meine Liste etwa so aussieht:

Dutch: een
English: two
Swedish: två
French: trois
German: drei

Da zvidanya!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-30, 10:12

Het Russisch telt niet als je geen cyrillisch gebruikt. Óman mín veit líka 'kiitos', það þýðir ekki að hún Finsk talar.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 14:07

Mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, et mon francais n'est que un peu meilleur.

I also speak Cantonese about as well as a native 8 year old, but I am illiterate. (I was as literate as an 8 year old when I was 8.)

English: 1
French: 4-5
German: 7-8
Cantonese: 3 (speaking), 9 (writing)

#26 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 00:56

View Postgwnn, on 2014-June-30, 10:12, said:

Het Russisch telt niet als je geen cyrillisch gebruikt. Óman mín veit líka 'kiitos', það þýðir ekki að hún Finsk talar.

Dat was meer ein Problem with my computer skills.

J'espère att det här är mycket bättre:

до свидания

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users