• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Explaining Keri ACBL

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-03, 13:42

So, one of my partners has decided she's willing to learn Keri (from the old book - trust me, that will be enough for both of us for now). My question, from those who play(ed) it:

In an environment (standard ACBL) where nobody's ever heard of Keri Hilson, never mind Keri over NT, what's the best way to explain 1NT-2C!?

"forces 2" is clearly insufficient, never mind the fact that it explains what I'm going to do, not what the system means (vide 2NT Lebensohl "forces 3").

"transfer to diamonds, or various inv or better hands" seems handwavey (and it doesn't make clear that most hands-that-would-Stayman are in here), but as close as I can get I think without taking forever.

Any suggestions?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-November-03, 13:59

View Postmycroft, on 2011-November-03, 13:42, said:

So, one of my partners has decided she's willing to learn Keri (from the old book - trust me, that will be enough for both of us for now). My question, from those who play(ed) it:

In an environment (standard ACBL) where nobody's ever heard of Keri Hilson, never mind Keri over NT, what's the best way to explain 1NT-2C!?

"forces 2" is clearly insufficient, never mind the fact that it explains what I'm going to do, not what the system means (vide 2NT Lebensohl "forces 3").

"transfer to diamonds, or various inv or better hands" seems handwavey (and it doesn't make clear that most hands-that-would-Stayman are in here), but as close as I can get I think without taking forever.

Any suggestions?

I'd simply say

"Puppet to 2. Partner could have anything from a drop dead in Diamonds to a hand that wants to investigate slam"

There are too many hand types to enumerate and a list of all possible hand types doesn't provide them with actionable information.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 14:19

It's been a while since I read the book (wait, there are two different books?) so apologies if this is inaccurate. I would say something like "could be weak with diamonds, invitational with a major, or game-going" since IIRC the second of those is the key part of Keri.

#4 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2011-November-03, 15:18

Any suggestions?

Yep I just say "signoff in diamonds, or various invite or better hands". 100% no problem so far.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 16:29

I would think that saying "signoff in diamonds" first off might unfairly focus the opponents on diamonds when you continue with "various other...." and don't mention it might just be a hand which would bid Stayman.

"Signoff in diamonds, or Stayman shape, or some other strong hand types."
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 18:20

Yay!!
OK
bed

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 19:39

Keri Klinger, not Keri Hilson.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-03, 20:07

Thank you, Ed. However, I think the poster knew that.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Keri_Hilson
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-November-03, 21:20

Any suggestions?

2C is not a transfer to 2D, but a puppet to 2D.
I played Keri for long time and explained it as follows:
2C is a puppet to 2D. Responder can pass 2D or bid 2M to show an invit hand with 4/5 of that Major, or take bid something else to describe varios strong options.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 01:29

I play this with a number of partners in the ACBL. I describe it as:

puppet to 2, usually one of many different invitational or better hands, but can also be sign off to play in 2

I think in most circumstances that is pretty accurate since it is worth de-emphasizing sign off or diamonds compared to what people may expect if you use words like transfer or lead with the to play. It isn't the full explanation (which I'll give if someone asks for more) of all the various hand types it could be, but it is short enough for a quick explanation. However, over a mini-nt the to play in diamonds is actually pretty high frequency (maybe 1/3 or 40%?).

#11 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 05:49

A lot of people don't really understand the concept of a "puppet", so I usually say "requires me to bid 2 which he's either going to pass if he's weak with or he will then show a variety of invitational or GF hands".
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-04, 06:42

View Postmrdct, on 2011-November-04, 05:49, said:

A lot of people don't really understand the concept of a "puppet", so I usually say "requires me to bid 2 which he's either going to pass if he's weak with or he will then show a variety of invitational or GF hands".

True, if you say "puppet to 2" some think you play Puppet Stayman... :rolleyes:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 07:10

View PostFree, on 2011-November-04, 06:42, said:

True, if you say "puppet to 2" some think you play Puppet Stayman... :rolleyes:

Can we rename that convention? After all, puppet stayman doesn't have a puppet bid, does it?

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-04, 07:18

View PostfromageGB, on 2011-November-04, 07:10, said:

Can we rename that convention? After all, puppet stayman doesn't have a puppet bid, does it?

It does have another name, but only Dutch people can pronounce it properly: "Niemeijer". Better is to wait until Muppet Stayman takes over. ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-November-04, 10:44

Ed: I wasn't 100% certain that Keri's last name was Klinger, so I didn't feel comfortable with "don't know Keri Hilson, never mind Keri Klinger" (which was my first expression). Having seen the magazine with the room dedication in another thread, I am more comfortable doing so now.

I still feel uncomfortable telling them what I'll be doing - but I'll think about it, because it is so much easier.

Yeah, at least half the people I explain this to won't understand the word "puppet". So...

And yes, 2 is a puppet to 2. But the hands involved are either "transferring" to diamonds, or showing an inv+ hand, which is why I phrased it that way. But I can see where *that* would be confusing as well.

I like the hog's explanation (save the "telling partner what I'm doing" bit). I might try "partner either wants to play 2, or wants to show an invitational 4- or 5- card major, or various stronger hands." (which ignores 1NT-2; 2-3m, but oh well).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   WrecksVee 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 10:47

I think all the suggestions made to describe the hand were good. I would also suggest since it is unfamilar in the ACBL that it be pre-alerted. I have played Keri in ACBL events for 5+ years and haver always done that to be sure it was clear to the Opps.
"A stopper is neither weak nor strong but thinking makes it so." H. Kelsey

#17 User is offline   SteelWheel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-13, 22:34

I know that Klinger tweaked his Keri system a bit after the book was published. Did he actually publish a revised edition? If not, can someone here point us towards a good, simple write-up of the changes he made? Everything I've been told about his tweaks is so sketchy and unreliable.

Oh, and btw, I've never been able to try out Keri (can't find a willing victim to play mad scientist with me), but I have played for many years another system of responses to 1NT where several two-level responses are either puppets to sign-offs or certain invitational or forcing hand types. I usually describe them as something like "this bid is a relay to 2X, but if partner bids again, the transfer message is canceled, and pard may have any of a wide variety of hands, which may or may not have anything to do with X". If they ask for more, I fill them in on all the possible continuations. People may look at us scowlfully, but nobody's ever called a TD or anything so I guess we're ok.

#18 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-November-18, 08:16

I play Keri over weak NT with two partners (over 2 years now) and find it reasonable at MPs or IMPs. We tend not to open 1NT with extreme distribution, but do include weak 5-card majors.

Here is a reference to revised Keri:

http://www.bridgebas...3-revised-keri/

P.S. Hi Steel Wheel.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#19 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-November-19, 05:50

What are the weak variations in it? Just say weak with "X" or strong. You are catering for the fact that opps 99% don't care what your strong options are.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-November-21, 13:06

Yeah, that's what I'm trying (as well as starting with "artificial, forcing, but NOT Stayman.") "a hand that wants to play 2, or various INV+ hands"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users