BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#81 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-10, 21:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-10, 19:08, said:

Hey, don't stop now! :lol:

Alright, since I rarely need much encouragement to continue, here are the top 10 things to know about sitting dummy for a less-than-astute declarer:

1. The play at trick 1 must be hasty. Declarer can sit and huddle and trance all he wants when, later in the hand, a crucial decision needs to be made and it's obvious exactly what he is thinking about.
2. There is absolutely no reason to delay drawing trumps at trick 2... unless, of course, you don't need ruffs in dummy and your trump suit is solid. Then, it's perfectly acceptable to continue leading side suits until a low defensive crossruff is established.
3. Any time the opening lead has revealed key information about the way an important suit breaks, the declarer will either fail to observe that information, fail to utilize it, or play the suit exactly backwards from what the information has revealed (so that he can't be accused of "falling for the ruse.")
4. Once the bidding is over, any information provided therein is to be completely dismissed as "irrelevant" and/or "BS."
5. Finesses are fun; always take them even if there's a guaranteed line to make the contract without the finesse.
6. Entries are completely unimportant, and should be utilized solely to take unnecessary finesses as described in (5), above.
7. A great way to make a trump contract is to force the long trump hand to ruff repeatedly BEFORE the long side suit is established.
8. Counting the hand is completely unnecessary (not to mention impossible).
9. When several rounds of trumps have been drawn and there is one defender trump outstanding which happens to be the master trump, the only acceptable continuation is to play another round of trumps immediately, forcing the defender to win his master trump now in the hopes that he will "do something helpful."
10. Probably the most important one of all: When doubled in what will obviously be a borderline, tricky contract, and you will be sitting dummy for it, get up and leave before opening lead. It will add years to your life. Ask a friend or neutral observer to reveal dummy on your behalf. Never return to the table.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#82 User is offline   flametree 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 21:26

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-10, 21:02, said:

6. Entries are completely unimportant, and should be utilized solely to take unnecessary finesses as described in (5), above.

Ha ha. Have you been watching me play?

#83 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 21:33

When in NT and you have the top 3 honors in a 4-3 fit, find out if it splits 3-3 for a 4th trick before pushing out the ace in your 6-2 side suit just so you can make one less then everyone else.

#84 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-11, 00:09

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-February-10, 21:33, said:

When in NT and you have the top 3 honors in a 4-3 fit, find out if it splits 3-3 for a 4th trick before pushing out the ace in your 6-2 side suit just so you can make one less then everyone else.

LOL yes this is one I forgot --> in general establish tricks for the opponents before knocking their stoppers out :lol: :lol:
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#85 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-11, 08:24

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-10, 21:02, said:

4. Once the bidding is over, any information provided therein is to be completely dismissed as "irrelevant" and/or "BS."

There was bidding?! :o :blink: :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#86 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-February-26, 03:10

I remembered a friend of mine who reads BW, and is always talking about TTASL, I was quite unhappy with having reopened since my chances of defeatin 4 seemed NIL if partner is broke.

The clueless comment after the board was obviously blaming partner for bidding 3 because she had too few values.

On a side note, I was very surprised to see partner encourage diamonds after I played Q, I though he just had the 10, but then declarer's hesitation made it obvious the King was there. When I saw A it was like... WTF??

#87 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-26, 05:33

View PostFluffy, on 2012-February-26, 03:10, said:

I remembered a friend of mine who reads BW, and is always talking about TTASL, I was quite unhappy with having reopened since my chances of defeatin 4 seemed NIL if partner is broke.

The clueless comment after the board was obviously blaming partner for bidding 3 because she had too few values.

On a side note, I was very surprised to see partner encourage diamonds after I played Q, I though he just had the 10, but then declarer's hesitation made it obvious the King was there. When I saw A it was like... WTF??

What's TTASL?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#88 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-February-26, 05:41

teach them a sharp lesson is what he always tells me, or that's what I understand.

#89 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-27, 09:59

I played in a STac Swiss yesterday and on 1 hand I opened 1 in 3rd, p , 1 and rho came in with a sandwich nt on a 1-4-4-4 11 count. I doubled that and it went float.

Later in the play after rho had pitched down to Kx, I led the Q, low, low and after some thought she ducked. A to pards Ace and we ran a couple more. That isn't even the most clueless part.

Declarer dumped all over her pard and said the sandwich nt was forcing and turned to me for confirmation. I said Well no, not if you have no preference and she glared at her pard and said "See, I told you so". Twice more blathered some nonsense, Twice more I replied (gently) NOT and twice more she said See, he agrees with me. Yikes!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#90 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-27, 16:24

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-February-27, 09:59, said:

after some thought she ducked.

That's pretty impressive. The fact that you agreed with her was impressive too.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#91 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-01, 04:17

My partner once passed me in 1NT xx after

1D-1N*-x-p (* raptor: clubs and a major, 9-14)
p-xx**-p-p (** my major is hearts. 2 would have shown spades)
p

because he thought clubs would play better from my side. :) I think it was -1600 and a bad score at teams.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#92 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:54

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-01, 04:17, said:

I think it was -1600 and a bad score at teams.

-1600 is usually a bad score at any form of scoring.

#93 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 16:23

Declarer chose to finesse for the Q.

South, holding court over his minions (the rest of the table and kibbers), chose to admonish his partner with the following:

"Holding 9 cards do not finesse the queen. Queen finesse onside is 25% queen drop is 40%. The 3-1 split is advertised 50% but it's 25% 3-1 and 25% 1-3." :blink:

I could almost hear the "scribble-scratch-scribble" in the background. (I think they were all furiously taking notes...)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#94 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-07, 04:47

View PostFree, on 2011-November-03, 05:01, said:

Reminds me of some story. A new guy doesn't know anything about the game. His partner tells him "just bid what you have". So the auction goes something like:
1-1
2-2
3-3NT
7-pass
Nobody understands anything of this, but opener is very pleased with his auction. He even makes his contract! He had a 3=7=2=1 and bid "what he had": singleton , 2 s, 3 s and 7 s... :rolleyes:

"Just bid what you've got."

4C P P X
4D P P X
4H P P X

and the Jack of Spades !

#95 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-08, 16:20

Here's a hand from last night.

The play was pretty awful. Declarer couldn't decide to set up dummy, or his own hand, so he decided to ruff in both losing trump control in the process. I won the A, drew dummy's last trump and soon claimed for -3.

The post-mortem was classic. "partner, I really prefer a 1 rebid with that. If I pass 1, thats probably the place we should play".

PS, at last check this player had about 6,000 MPs.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#96 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 15:43

Tonight at the club starting on my right:

(2*)-P-(2N)-P
(P)**

*ALERT it's 19+ pts (note...no one asked)

**Now I ask, what's 2NT?, "He didn't know what my bid meant...so I just pass when we have a misunderstanding"

#97 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-03, 15:57

2N P 3C P
3D P 3N P
P P

Before the opening lead dummy advises that there was a failure to alert 3C Puppet.

Dummy is put down down; 3433

When asked if 3N denied a 4 card major dummy replied "yes but it was obvious that my partner had forgotten we played puppet"
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#98 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 03:46

I, sat North after partner made unusual NT overcall and bid 3 over my minimum response, the only thing come to my mind was partner obviously forget 1 open, and thought he's opening 2N(where he treat my 3 as transfer, and by accident I got some spade!). Actually, he did notice 1 and bid properly, 3 was a cue bid intend for slam try.

I'm a bad partner :P .

#99 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-April-04, 05:13

yesterday, opps bid (presumably trying to play Acol):
West-East
2NT-4
4NT-5
5-5
5NT-pass

Very heated discussion:

West: WHY DID YOU KEEP BIDDING ON?????? AFTER YOU TOLD ME ZERO ACES, I BID 5. YOU SHOULD PASS THAT !!!!!
East: YOU SHOULD HAVE PASSED 4!!! I HAD SIX SPADES!!!!
West: 4 DOES NOT SHOW LONG SPADES, IT SHOWS A SPADE STOPPER!!!!!
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#100 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-04, 10:07

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-03, 15:57, said:

Before the opening lead dummy advises that there was a failure to alert 3C Puppet.

Dummy is put down down; 3433

When asked if 3N denied a 4 card major dummy replied "yes but it was obvious that my partner had forgotten we played puppet"

If this took place in Vancouver, it's no longer required to alert 3. But 3NT should be alerted as denying a 4-card major.

Maybe the reason they got rid of the 3 alert was precisely to avoid the above situation.

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users