BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#381 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 12:50

Since splitting up with my previous regular partner, I have become a player-for-hire (with a fee of zero) at my local club. I played with a new partner last night. First some mid-hand chit-chat:
Dealer on my right opens 1, I overcall 1, 3rd hand passes. Partner sits and thinks for a while, and pulls out the "Stop" card. She looks at it bemusedly and says "I didn't mean that card, I meant Double". After we pointed out that she couldn't do that. She reluctantly decided to pass with her 4153 11 point hand. This. surprisingly, turned out to be one our better boards, as I made 1 +2 with all games going down.

The previous board against the same opponents had already told me this wasn't going to be a great evening:

The lead was the K, and as I put down dummy I jokingly said "You'd better make this". And make it she did. Exactly. With no overtricks. She ducked the opening lead, won the small continuation with the T, played AK and A, and then played on , with the opponents taking 3 more tricks before reluctantly conceding the rest to dummy. When the hand was over, she said "I was trying to get an extra trick. But I don't think it was possible."

This person has been playing many times a week for years. And she has a reputation of dumping partners who don't meet her expectations!

#382 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-March-10, 15:02

EricK, on 2015-March-10, 12:50, said:

Since splitting up with my previous regular partner, I have become a player-for-hire (with a fee of zero) at my local club. I played with a new partner last night. First some mid-hand chit-chat:
Dealer on my right opens 1, I overcall 1, 3rd hand passes. Partner sits and thinks for a while, and pulls out the "Stop" card. She looks at it bemusedly and says "I didn't mean that card, I meant Double". After we pointed out that she couldn't do that. She reluctantly decided to pass with her 4153 11 point hand. This. surprisingly, turned out to be one our better boards, as I made 1 +2 with all games going down.

The previous board against the same opponents had already told me this wasn't going to be a great evening:

The lead was the K, and as I put down dummy I jokingly said "You'd better make this". And make it she did. Exactly. With no overtricks. She ducked the opening lead, won the small continuation with the T, played AK and A, and then played on , with the opponents taking 3 more tricks before reluctantly conceding the rest to dummy. When the hand was over, she said "I was trying to get an extra trick. But I don't think it was possible."

This person has been playing many times a week for years. And she has a reputation of dumping partners who don't meet her expectations!

Unless I am mistaken, there is nothing in the bidding box regulations that would prevent a person from retracting a STOP card that had been placed on the table in error and making any legal call without penalty. Regardless of whether I am correct, the director should have been summoned.

Assuming that the placing of the STOP card on the table was a mechanical error and not a thought error, I am absolutely sure it can be retracted. The only justification that I can think of for there being any restriction on the correction of a mistaken STOP card is that the player was intending to skip the bidding and then decided not to do so after putting the STOP card on the table.

It took quite a bit of imagination on the part of your partner to make exactly 9 tricks on the second hand.

#383 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 15:35

ArtK78, on 2015-March-10, 15:02, said:

Unless I am mistaken, there is nothing in the bidding box regulations that would prevent a person from retracting a STOP card that had been placed on the table in error and making any legal call without penalty. Regardless of whether I am correct, the director should have been summoned.

But she replaced the STOP card with an illegal call (doubling her partner's bid). And nobody tried to restrict her bidding at all (beyond asking her to make a legal call!).

#384 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 19:09

Zelandakh, on 2015-March-08, 18:30, said:

Well I hope you are getting paid then! :P If you want the partnership to work long-term then I think you have some teaching to do. Given that your p does not know the Ro11 another decent temporary option in addition to the two mentioned earlier might be Busso spot leads. Really though, first thing is for the partner to understand standard leads, then find a carding method they are comfortable with that accomodates these.

I tried to do a google search for Busso leads, I couldn't find much. What are they? Attitude leads? The only other bridge related match I found was a cheating system where you knock the table to ask partner to play high :P. Long story short though, he's one of those people who went out of his way to make a homegrown system without fully understanding the basic national system so trying to teach even basic bidding theory can be difficult (to put it mildly, there is very little upside to any of it). Even though we play twice a week, it's not a partnership I take too seriously.

He also seems to like playing a 2C overcall over 1NT as asking for a 4 card major, something I never understood. When I asked about how I show values in response, his reply was he'll work it out from the opponents bidding....

edit: actually I just checked the EBU blue book, I don't even think it's legal to play it that way, will have to tell him on Thursday.
Wayne Somerville

#385 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-20, 11:06

So I was playing at a North London club with a friend just to relax and then this happened. Obviously 2 was a joke, but not as much as the defense was. Eventually partner did in fact make 2. North had a huge go at South for not leading a club: "I overcalled NT, I must have a stop, lead my suit, not theirs!", South suggested that perhaps North should not have ducked the club ace. North retorted "If he had another club left I needed to duck to keep him out of dummy" (I was dozing a bit as dummy, but was fairly sure the club suit was known, and struggled not to snigger). North gets increasingly grumpy (having broken a record for most mistakes made in one hand) but elects to compromise "Okay maybe it was 70% your fault and 30% mine". Eventually after minutes of bickering (we had finished the round early) they asked my partner (who is respected as a good player at the club) whether they could have done better. He delicately replied: "It's difficult, but you had one or two chances to beat it" (looking at North).

#386 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-March-31, 07:01

I don't have the exact hand but something like

Yes I suggest to partner afterwards he can just X rather than bid 3D but anyway

This goes 3 off for a top to us and a frustrated North to South afterwards "Why did you bid so much with such a bad hand"

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#387 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 07:58

manudude03, on 2015-March-10, 19:09, said:

I tried to do a google search for Busso leads, I couldn't find much. What are they? Attitude leads? The only other bridge related match I found was a cheating system where you knock the table to ask partner to play high :P. Long story short though, he's one of those people who went out of his way to make a homegrown system without fully understanding the basic national system so trying to teach even basic bidding theory can be difficult (to put it mildly, there is very little upside to any of it). Even though we play twice a week, it's not a partnership I take too seriously.

He also seems to like playing a 2C overcall over 1NT as asking for a 4 card major, something I never understood. When I asked about how I show values in response, his reply was he'll work it out from the opponents bidding....

edit: actually I just checked the EBU blue book, I don't even think it's legal to play it that way, will have to tell him on Thursday.

Sorry, I missed this one. Yes Busso is another name for attitude leads. And don't be too hard on your partner - I also made the effort to play around with homespun ideas before I had even had a bridge partner so maybe he will survive the experience and be the better for it on the other side. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

#388 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:03

From the latest EBU magazine:

My partner opened 4 and I bid 3NT. The opponents objected. But I had 16 points so I thought I was allowed to reverse.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#389 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-09, 20:01

After only making 2 tricks on defence with KQx vs Axx despite leading the suit 3 times:

Me: Why did you overtake my queen?
Partner: I wanted to give you a ruff.

This is in the context of a hand where you can be 99% sure it wouldn't be needed even if I was doubleton
Wayne Somerville

#390 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 09:46

manudude03, on 2015-April-09, 20:01, said:

After only making 2 tricks on defence with KQx vs Axx despite leading the suit 3 times:

Me: Why did you overtake my queen?
Partner: I wanted to give you a ruff.

This is in the context of a hand where you can be 99% sure it wouldn't be needed even if I was doubleton

I had a similar situation where I was the culprit. The opponents had hidden a suit and against 3nt, I lead the K from KQx, partner overtook and fired back the J. I overtook to lead my last one and partner showed out!

The next morning we grabbed a Daily Bulletin and hit the road for the long drive home. My wife reading it said "Hey, it looks like someone else defended that hand the same way you did" NOT!!!

I almost hit the ditch.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#391 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 10:21

ggwhiz, on 2015-April-10, 09:46, said:

I almost hit the ditch.
First time I read that as "I almost hit the bitch"
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#392 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 15:01

"I do psyche frequently whenever I think p can know I am psyching the opening"

From a partnership discussion on BBO
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#393 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 19:06

eagles123, on 2015-March-31, 07:01, said:

I don't have the exact hand but something like

Yes I suggest to partner afterwards he can just X rather than bid 3D but anyway

This goes 3 off for a top to us and a frustrated North to South afterwards "Why did you bid so much with such a bad hand"

Eagles

Seems unusual to play X as diamonds there (I mean, I know all the LOLs do it, but I think stronger players use it most commonly as a values-showing X when the opps' NT is weak)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#394 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 20:12

I heard this on Thursday:

"I thought your club lead was a singleton, so I wanted to signal to tell you to lead clubs".
Wayne Somerville

#395 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 10:56

A Canadian Scottish-Polish pair played in the Boston NABC's and sat down against a Polish pair. Before play started there was a lot of animated Polish being spoken by 3 of them (they were old friends) and on the first hand the Polish pair had one of those 18 bid auctions with everything alerted.

The Canadian Polish guy asks for explanations at the end and gets a long one.

The Scott: I realize this is like old home week but when play begins I DEMAND you speak English.

A Pole: But Sir, we WERE!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#396 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-May-09, 08:43

manudude03, on 2015-March-10, 19:09, said:

You can play any defence to you like to 1NT, so it's certainly legal.
It's also a defence I've seen a number of very good players play, they overcall 2C on some 4342 hand in the hope of finding a 4-3 or 4-4 major suit fit. It's a more honest way of saying 2C shows the majors and doing it on 4-3.

#397 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 10:41

FrancesHinden, on 2015-May-09, 08:43, said:

You can play any defence to you like to 1NT, so it's certainly legal.
It's also a defence I've seen a number of very good players play, they overcall 2C on some 4342 hand in the hope of finding a 4-3 or 4-4 major suit fit. It's a more honest way of saying 2C shows the majors and doing it on 4-3.

I've seen him do it on 0454 hands and such planning on pulling 2S to 3D. It made it very annoying if the opponents competed and I have 5 spades.
Wayne Somerville

#398 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 11:39

manudude03, on 2015-May-09, 10:41, said:

I've seen him do it on 0454 hands and such planning on pulling 2S to 3D. It made it very annoying if the opponents competed and I have 5 spades.

It seems to me that 2NT here should show 0444 plus a non-heart and that that would be a better call than 3.
(-: Zel :-)

#399 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-17, 13:37

not really hopeless comment more funny comment but it goes

p 1s 1n p p

I am 1n bidder 1s bidder asks "15-17?"

my p "yes but could be 16"
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#400 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:03

eagles123, on 2015-May-17, 13:37, said:

not really hopeless comment more funny comment but it goes

p 1s 1n p p

I am 1n bidder 1s bidder asks "15-17?"

my p "yes but could be 16"

I assume he actually phrased "15-17" as "15,17" (leaving out the word "to").

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users