BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#321 User is offline   hihihiji 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 08:08

This is a clueless question about myself.

My RHO opened a weak 1NT and the auction went as follows

(1NT) - 2* - (2) - P -(P)

Then I asked RHO "Is 2 non forcing?"

My pd had asked the exactly same question some time ago!

#322 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-03, 00:23

View Posthihihiji, on 2014-November-02, 08:08, said:

This is a clueless question about myself.

My RHO opened a weak 1NT and the auction went as follows

(1NT) - 2* - (2) - P -(P)

Then I asked RHO "Is 2 non forcing?"

My pd had asked the exactly same question some time ago!

I see nothing wrong, let alone clueless or hopeless, in the comment, in principle. There is nothing in the laws to forbid passing a forcing bid, but if your agreement is that it is forcing the opponents are entitled to know. Perhaps you mean it would be a clueless agreement for it to be forcing in this example? I can sympathise with that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#323 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 20:09

I came across 2 pretty interesting conversations tonight at the club.

1. The auction goes (with West dealer) 1S-3D-5C-X-5NT-P-P-X-AP. This ends up -7 for +2000. After the board, West says "Sorry partner, I had to pull with my singleton club". Also on this hand, RHO elected to jump to 5C with Kxx support in spades (though to be fair they do play 4 card majors.....). 4C would have been gerber, obviously.

2. The auction starts P-P-1H-X-3D-P, 3D being bergen (4 card support 10-11 HCP). I'm sitting with what I felt was a close call and elected to try 4H. Dummy tables Kxx Jxx Qxxx AJx. This ends up -1. The comedic started afterwards though. Partner says he wasn't sure whether to bid 3D or 2NT (which he plays as natural) over the X. I ask what was wrong with redouble. He replies that he wanted to bid something more descriptive. I then try to explain the advantages of redouble and mentioned the possibility of showing the support at the 2 level to allow for game tries or just simply playing 2H if the opponents don't bid over that. His reply to that was "Why would you want to play 2H when you can play 3H?".
Wayne Somerville

#324 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 05:39

4C would have been gerber, obviously.

So wtp? :D
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#325 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 08:54

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-November-13, 20:09, said:

I came across 2 pretty interesting conversations tonight at the club.

1. The auction goes (with West dealer) 1S-3D-5C-X-5NT-P-P-X-AP. This ends up -7 for +2000. After the board, West says "Sorry partner, I had to pull with my singleton club". Also on this hand, RHO elected to jump to 5C with Kxx support in spades (though to be fair they do play 4 card majors.....). 4C would have been gerber, obviously.

2. The auction starts P-P-1H-X-3D-P, 3D being bergen (4 card support 10-11 HCP). I'm sitting with what I felt was a close call and elected to try 4H. Dummy tables Kxx Jxx Qxxx AJx. This ends up -1. The comedic started afterwards though. Partner says he wasn't sure whether to bid 3D or 2NT (which he plays as natural) over the X. I ask what was wrong with redouble. He replies that he wanted to bid something more descriptive. I then try to explain the advantages of redouble and mentioned the possibility of showing the support at the 2 level to allow for game tries or just simply playing 2H if the opponents don't bid over that. His reply to that was "Why would you want to play 2H when you can play 3H?".

So Bergen raises are played after a double but 2NT is natural?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#326 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 09:35

View PostVampyr, on 2014-November-14, 08:54, said:

LOL..I ask Jesus to help you, today, all day, any day, every day, maybe one day.......seems he ain't gonna do it. I don't know why, but I suspect it is beyond his power.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#327 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 18:10

View PostVampyr, on 2014-November-14, 08:54, said:

Yes. I asked once what he does with opening values, he says either bid game or if it's really too good, then XX followed up with 4M.
Wayne Somerville

#328 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-19, 15:27

I was playing with an old partner this morning just a fun game but proper scoring etc.

about halfway round we came to a notorious LOL and her long suffering but equally as weak husband.

The bidding proceeds as follows:

at the end of the auction I gently tell her that the auction looks all wrong but...
She had none of it!

well that's not true, look at the vulnerability we're non vul you're vul I HAVE to bid game. Even if it goes 3 off it's going to be a top for our side.

well after we cashed our 7 top tricks and 4sx drifted 4 off we put it in the bridgemate and see that every other table the contract is 3N going DOWN 2 by EW.

luckily her husband was there to console her on this "unlucky fluke hand. You made the right bid partner".

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#329 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-December-19, 15:30

View Posteagles123, on 2014-December-19, 15:27, said:

at the end of the auction I gently tell her that the auction looks all wrong and that virtually always once you have limited your hand i.e. with the 2s bid, you shouldn't really speak again unless asked to by partner.

Unless she is your student this is super rude.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#330 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:55

View PostVampyr, on 2014-December-19, 15:30, said:

Is eagles your student, then?

#331 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-December-20, 20:37

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-20, 17:55, said:

Is eagles your student, then?

If I have ever criticised eagles' bidding it would be because he posted it on these forums where people are looking for comments.

#332 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-20, 20:45

Actually Stephanie, some post to satisfy their narcissistic tendencies. The value of their bridge comments is zero.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#333 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-21, 01:15

View PostVampyr, on 2014-December-20, 20:37, said:

If I have ever criticised eagles' bidding it would be because he posted it on these forums where people are looking for comments.

I don't think Jinksy was asking about bridge lessons. You were giving him unsolicited lessons on conduct, which is just as rude.

#334 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-21, 01:29

View PostVampyr, on 2014-December-19, 15:30, said:

I also think it's rude for opps to give unsolicited advice. I wouldn't go as far as saying it;s "super rude" but yeah, it's annoying. Especially when opps have no clue what the partnership harmony is. Like in this case for instance, if they were willing to chalk it up as "unlucky" why rub the salt... Let them play and be happy and think they weren't lucky.

#335 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-21, 07:38

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-21, 01:15, said:

I don't think Jinksy was asking about bridge lessons. You were giving him unsolicited lessons on conduct, which is just as rude.

This.

#336 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-December-21, 07:54

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-21, 01:15, said:

Do you seriously think so? I think that bad behaviour can be worth a telling-off, while opponents' bidding is not. And maybe eagles has learnt a valuable lesson, since while he has retained in his post his initial criticism of his opponents' bidding, he has deleted the free bridge lesson he gave them.

LOL but people will find fault with anything if they try hard enough. I must admit that I am flattered.

#337 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-21, 09:09

If you write something on a public forum you are inviting everyone to give their opinion. If you are discussing a board with your p you are not necessarily inviting third persons to participate
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#338 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-21, 09:38

christ i deleted the comment can we just move on lol
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#339 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-21, 17:54

View PostVampyr, on 2014-December-21, 07:54, said:

Do you seriously think so? I think that bad behaviour can be worth a telling-off, while opponents' bidding is not. And maybe eagles has learnt a valuable lesson, since while he has retained in his post his initial criticism of his opponents' bidding, he has deleted the free bridge lesson he gave them.

LOL but people will find fault with anything if they try hard enough. I must admit that I am flattered.

That, and can we agree not to use profanities on these fora. I realise that might be difficult for those with limited vocabularies.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#340 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-21, 19:32

Seriously? The guy who can't go two posts without abusing his peers gets upset if they depart from Queen's English?

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users