• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Dummy Solver for Vugraph

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-12, 07:34

Maybe this is somewhere else and I couldn't find it, but are there plans to add a double dummy solver to vugraph the same where there is one when I kib in the main bridge club? Sometimes a hand is too difficult for me to solve without some help...sometimes too difficult for the commentators too.

Thanks,

Bunny
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-01, 18:43

I know this is an old thread, but I used to be able to look at double-dummy analysis with GIB while watching vugraphs on the old BBO, and can't find the option on the new BBO. I did a thread search to see if there was already an answer, but it seems there isn't. Can someone point me towards the appropriate button? Thank you.
I Transfers

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-02, 12:42

You can't use it with the hand in progress, but it should appear in the "My Results" section for previous hands.

However, you only get the GIB button if you've purchased something (rented robots or played in a pay tourney) recently.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 14:01

Yes, I was just hoping it'd be available for the hand in progress.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-02, 14:15

I think we took it off because commentators were frequently criticizing the players by pointing out what the DD said was the best play.

#6 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-02, 18:36

I thought commentators went out of their way to show that they didn't look at the double-dummy analysis - for example they say "a kib has pointed out to me such and such from double dummy analysis" when it was actually them that looked at it. And anyway taking double-dummy analysis off the new BBO won't stop them from just using the old BBO, and it has been repeated many times all over the place that old BBO isn't going to ever be switched off or anything.
I Transfers

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-August-02, 18:53

A double-dummy analysis option would save commentators (and kibitzers) from embarrassing misanalysis; it is amusing and instructive, however, when a commentator says that a contract is impregnable or impossible and is then proved wrong by a world-class player at the table, playing single-dummy

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-02, 19:31

Maybe it was to reduce the number of kibs pointing things out like that.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it was done to reduce comparing bridge players to DD, since it's often an unfair comparison (while there are some situations where a player might figure out to drop a stiff K, most of the time it's an unreasonable play).

#9 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 23:20

I agree that it's not relative with regards to what *should* happen, but it is nice to have sometimes. My 2 cents (as a non-commentator).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users