BBO Discussion Forums: The neutrinos from the future... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The neutrinos from the future... Faster then c?

#61 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-16, 11:45

I'm glad we finally got rid of those scofflaws.

#62 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 14:34

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-16, 09:59, said:

I have absolutely no knowledge of anything going on here with neutrinos. That said, the reason for my post is that my reaction to the "news" about neutrinos was, "That's old stuff."

I mean, I recall hearing back in the mid-1980's that Einstein might be wrong and that neutrinos went faster than the speed of light. If I recall correctly, the reason back then was something about being able to detect a surge in neutrinos before the light reached us when a star went nova, or something. Of course, that probably had some other explanation for some, but the point was that the neutrinos-go-too-fast scenario seems to have been around for a while, hasn't it?

The best part of all that was the name "tachyon" for faster than light neutrinos. Led to all sorts of great SciFi usage, cause it just sounds cool.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#63 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 15:43

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that quantum science is nothing but quackery based on half-baked, marijuana-induced theories unfalsifiable due to the lack of sufficiently sophisticated observation/measurement apparatus.

Most of the stuff they spout makes more sense if you picture them taking a hit on a giant bong first.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#64 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-16, 15:55

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-March-16, 15:43, said:

Most of the stuff they spout makes more sense if you picture them taking a hit on a giant bong first.

It may sound like that, but I don't think we would have smart phones if it weren't correct. Most microelectronic technology has to take quantum theory into account.

Similarly, GPS wouldn't work correctly if they didn't adjust for the effects of special and general relativity on time. Special relativity causes the clocks on the satellites to run 7 microseconds/day slower than clocks on the ground, while general relativity causes them to run 45 microseconds/day faster, for a combined 38 ms/day difference. This may not sound like much, but GPS requires timing accuracy of 20-30 nanoseconds, so if the system didn't adjust for this the position measurements would accumulate errors at the rate of 10 km/day.

http://www.astronomy.../Unit5/gps.html

#65 User is offline   USViking 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 16:02

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-March-16, 15:43, said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that quantum science is nothing but quackery based on half-baked, marijuana-induced theories unfalsifiable due to the lack of sufficiently sophisticated observation/measurement apparatus.

Speaking of bongs, have you cleaned the screen on yours lately?

Quantum science has been confirmed by measurement in some cases to several decimal points;
it is perhaps the most fully corroborated scientific theory of all time.

And among other things, these computers we have so much fun playing with could not have been
developed without it:

Contributions of Physics to the Information Age

#66 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-17, 08:10

Good quantum mechanics joke in today's Dilbert:

http://dilbert.com/s...mic/2012-04-17/

#67 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports