• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RKC over minor suit transfer

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-12, 08:04

Question #1

What is your preferred method of bidding RKC blackwood after a minor suit transfer in a strong NT auction?

Basically...

1NT - 2NTor3C
3D - ?

4NT will always be Quant, so the choices seem to be 4D (some sort of minorwood) and 4H (some sort of kickback) and I see advantages to both. 4D works but takes away a sometimes useful natural bid. 4H works but now you can't use it for Exclusion.

I'd like to hear your ideas.

Question #2

What is your approach on this hand? Partner opens a 15-17 NT and the opponents pass throughout:

Kx Qx AKQ109xx xx

Your methods are pretty standard 2/1 agreements with minor suit transfers. You play natural gerber ONLY directly over the 1NT if that interests you. If you xfer you can show shortness, bid RKC, 4NT Quantitative, 5NT pick a slam, etc.

Any ideas?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-12, 08:14

I prefer Kickback Turbo when a minor fit is established. After your transfer, 4 sets trumps and partner starts cuebidding with Kickback Turbo. When a fit is set at 4-level, cuebids are more important than just asking about keycards imo.

The example hand is a good example: you may easily lack a or control, if you miss 1 keycard you won't know if the suit is wide open or not. With my method I combine cuebids with Ace asking:
4 = even number of keycards (now opener starts cuebidding or signs off if that's not enough - 4NT shows a cue)
4 = odd number of keycards, cue (now 4NT shows a cue)
4NT = odd number of keycards, cue, no cue
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-September-12, 09:52

View Postthe_dude, on 2011-September-12, 08:04, said:

Question #1
What is your approach on this hand? Partner opens a 15-17 NT and the opponents pass throughout:

Kx Qx AKQ109xx xx

Your methods are pretty standard 2/1 agreements with minor suit transfers. You play natural gerber ONLY directly over the 1NT if that interests you. If you xfer you can show shortness, bid RKC, 4NT Quantitative, 5NT pick a slam, etc.

Any ideas?

We would like to add stuff outside the OP's given system. Free has a nice method; I like Walsh relays (hence 2-suit xfers). Neither of these preferences helps the OP.

I guess one possibility would be to set clubs as trump and KB or Minorwood :rolleyes:

Another might be to try to launch a cuebid sequence. We know what opener's attitude about diamonds will be, so he will most likely accept the transfer to diamonds. After that, maybe you could lie and show spade shortness to start things off.

Or, we could fake it with the immediate G*****word and hope they double 4C; pass of the double would deny a top control. If pard responds to G***** after the double, that part of the problem would be solved. If they don't double, maybe we get lucky even without a club control.

Yeh, I know heart control is a problem, too. But we gotta try something imperfect.

He asked for ideas, not solutions :)
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-September-18, 11:04

One option is to use minor suit transfers only for 2-suiters and to keep an immediate 3m response as natural and slammy to kick-start a cue auction. On this hand that would enable us to find out if partner holds the rounded suit controls before even thinking about anything more.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-June-14, 01:17

I'd use 2 Stayman ( i suggest to see my topic in Forum event) for Question #2 : 1NT(=strong 15-17)-2(=i'm not interested to major but minor suit tell me yours sure stoppers), 2x(=only stopper in suit indicated or two stoppers if 2NT)-4(=longness in diamond estabilished as trump suit)..

This post has been edited by Lovera: 2015-June-14, 01:20

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users