• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Play THIRTEEN

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 04:33

This hand occurred in a side game at the Boston Nationals a couple years ago (the hands are the same give or take some spots). I think this is our first Matchpoint defensive problem, where one has to consider overticks just as much as setting the hand.

CLICK NEXT TO SEE THE FIRST FEW TRICKS.

Being a good partner, you obeyed the double and led a heart. What's your plan now? Be specific. You and partner were playing UDCA.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 05:01

The play so far doesn't make much sense to me. Does partner hold KJ1096 of hearts and no side entry? In that case, why didn't he overtake the first heart?

I hope that declarer has AK8 854 Axx Qxxx.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 05:16

View Posthan, on 2011-September-07, 05:01, said:

The play so far doesn't make much sense to me.

As close as I can recall, this was the hand and play to the first few tricks.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 05:23

I hope that declarer has AK8 854 Axx Qxxx.

If declarer has this hand he is cold now. All he need is to play a and cover pd's card as cheap as he can. So u better hope something that will work for you.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:12

I probably played this hand, but it was several years ago, and I don't remember it, so here goes:

Spoiler

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:26

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-07, 07:12, said:

I probably played this hand, but it was several years ago, and I don't remember it, so here goes:

Spoiler

You did indeed play this hand (you were East).

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-07, 10:25

Matchpoint play is always harder. Do I play to set the contract, or do I take a safer defensive line to avoid overtricks but that allows this to make. Luckily this one doesn't fall into that kind of decision. Below are my thoughts.

Spoiler

--Ben--

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 10:58

View Postinquiry, on 2011-September-07, 10:25, said:

Matchpoint play is always harder. Do I play to set the contract, or do I take a safer defensive line to avoid overtricks but that allows this to make. Luckily this one doesn't fall into that kind of decision. Below are my thoughts.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-07, 11:00

Thanks Bunnygo.... and Whoops. I was looking at the 85 of clubs on the hand display as i typed my answer. My bad... that has no great change on my line of play, but the trick count is obviously changed significantly. Might explain the missing heart five as well...
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 12:11

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-September-07, 04:33, said:

(the hands are the same give or take some spots).
You and partner were playing UDCA.

Well the spots in hearts are troubling. To wit:

- partner has the K (for his double)
- partner has the J (probably for his double, and because declarer should not duck trick 1 if he holds Jxx)
- declarer has the T (with KJT96, partner should overtake the Q)
- ergo partner must have the 5, but then he should play it at trick 1.

So it seems partner has either:

- made an incorrect double, or
- failed to overtake the Q when he should, or
- failed to play the 5 at trick 1.

None of this matters at IMPs, the only thing to do is unblock spades. But at matchpoints, that might give away a trick. So we have to make a decision, with knowledge that partner has already done something odd. Which means we may not be able to rely on his count signals either. I really don't know what is right.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 12:20

View Postbillw55, on 2011-September-07, 12:11, said:

But at matchpoints, that might give away a trick. So we have to make a decision, with knowledge that partner has already done something odd. Which means we may not be able to rely on his count signals either. I really don't know what is right.

Not sure it's unclear at all. Any trick we give away by unblocking we get back in .

We know with virtual 100% certainty that South has the A. Thus we know with 100% certainty that if we lead we give up a trick. (Singleton A in South doesn't make sense per the bidding.) So if we take the 3rd trick we give it right back to declarer in . Partner MIGHT be able to win that 3rd trick, so I think it's clear to unblock.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-07, 13:22

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-07, 07:12, said:

I will not put my high spades on the clubs, since I don't see how I can be hurt by not doing so, and it gives declarer too much help.

Doesnt matter which you discard, once you discard he cashes AK and play a to J
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-07, 13:33

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-07, 13:22, said:

Doesnt matter which you discard, once you discard he cashes AK and play a to J

Only works if he has 3 diamonds. With Ax, I will endplay him with a small diamond.

edit: and that was the construction I had in mind, but I see your point
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#14 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 13:56

The play so far doesn't make much sense to me. Does partner hold KJ1096 of hearts and no side entry? In that case, why didn't he overtake the first heart?

I'm now realizing I probably should have presented the defensive problem from partner's point of view at trick one. At the table, my partner thought "great, my hearts will be set up because the holes are filled. With three hearts in dummy no way declarer will not hold up till the third round, and I can overtake the next trick." This is a nice example hand where realizing a quick switch is needed is good B/I defense.

The hand as presented is probably INT+, but it seems that every poster so far has figured it out.
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 15:58

The unblock is interesting, but I am still not seeing why it is so clear at matchpoints. If declarer holds the ten, I hand him an overtrick. This seems particularly important considering inquiry's point that we may already have a leg up on the field by virtue of not leading a diamond.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-07, 18:59

View Postbillw55, on 2011-September-07, 15:58, said:

The unblock is interesting, but I am still not seeing why it is so clear at matchpoints. If declarer holds the ten, I hand him an overtrick. This seems particularly important considering inquiry's point that we may already have a leg up on the field by virtue of not leading a diamond.

Edited : It is true that unblocking can cost us a trick, if declarer has AKT + Axx . You need to make your decision, unblocking still superior since you will be losing only to AKT. , with all other spots next to AK declarer can hold u are winning by unblock.

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-September-08, 03:15

The problem is seriously flawed because partner made such a mistake at trick 1. If you just switch the heart king and queen (and let partner signal a little more clearly) then there is no mistake and the problem is much nicer.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 04:13

View Posthan, on 2011-September-08, 03:15, said:

The problem is seriously flawed because partner made such a mistake at trick 1. If you just switch the heart king and queen (and let partner signal a little more clearly) then there is no mistake and the problem is much nicer.

Yes, that is true. It's also true that the more B/I problem would have been partner's at trick one. Sadly, this was the hand. I didn't think to modify it. Next time...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users