• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red Ken

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-21, 07:54

An unusual problem I gave my partner recently:-

I suspect most would open 2 but it doesn't matter - take a card away if makes you feel better. Anyway, at this point partner took control and bid keycard which I suspect would be the standard plan.

I'm convinced it's right to cue 4 first. Of course you want to check for aces and enquire about 3rd round heart control for 7, but the odds of partner going past 4 and preventing you from doing it on the next round when you've got this much are about 0. If it does happen, partner surely has the missing aces anyway.

The main advantage of bidding 4 is to avoid hanging partner when he's psyched a spade response with long heart support. Amusingly, what actually happened was partner bid keycard and I put dummy down with Txx JT8xx xx xxx. The defence started with A, [despite the splinter] but partner was too annoyed with my bidding to play properly and cashed AK following with the 2 low ones, thereby cutting himself off from the long spade when the jack dropped doubleton.

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 09:40

I imagine that this is a joke post and that I'm missing the joke.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 11:36

View Posthan, on 2012-April-21, 09:40, said:

I imagine that this is a joke post and that I'm missing the joke.

I think he is calling KenRex a "commie" .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 12:02

View Postwank, on 2012-April-21, 07:54, said:

The main advantage of bidding 4 is to avoid hanging partner when he's psyched a spade response with long heart support.

If you do that and partner proves to have short spades, there will be a director call, and under the English approach the psyche will be graded Red, and you will get an artificial adjusted score for "fielding". Under other jurisdictions, the ruling might be more complicated - misinformation, illegal partnership agreement, and concealed partnership agreement are all possible.

If that isn't where the "Red" bit of the post name came from, it ought to be.

Red Ken is currently a topical phrase in England, because it is the nickname of the former London mayor, Ken Livingstone, who is currently standing for election again against the person who beat him last time, "Bonking" Boris Johnson.

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-21, 12:04

You will get an adjusted director call for fielding because you cued 4H and partner was able to pass it? Or do they only rule against you when you bid 4H and are overheard saying that you did it in case partner was psyching?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   IanPayn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-21, 14:10

The main advantage of bidding 4 is to avoid hanging partner when he's psyched a spade response with long heart support.

++++Not, frankly, in my top 100 "Reasons to Bid Something".

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-April-21, 16:40

An unusual problem I gave my partner recently:-

I

Catering to double psychics (1 and 4) is not a huge priority for me. If this was some unimportant event and I suspected partner was psyching, I would, in fact, shade my actions to punish the psychic bid, in an effort to discourage that type of response from partner.
Chris Gibson

#8 User is offline   petterb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-21, 17:13

... but partner was too annoyed with my bidding to play properly and cashed AK following with the 2 low ones, thereby cutting himself off from the long spade when the jack dropped doubleton.

There's no loser to discard on the long spade.

#9 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 17:21

You forgot to mention that 4H is one off too B-)

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 03:01

partner was too annoyed with my bidding to play properly

I find that sort of thing tends to happen opposite a psych, which rather adds to their downside.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 03:04

The main advantage of bidding 4 is to avoid hanging partner when he's psyched a spade response with long heart support. Amusingly, what actually happened was partner bid keycard and I put dummy down with Txx JT8xx xx xxx.
Can you explain a bit about the rationale behind this bid? What's wrong with the standard 4 response? Were you worried the opponents would find 4 and partner won't be able to judge whether to penalize or compete?

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-22, 04:04

View Posthan, on 2012-April-21, 12:04, said:

You will get an adjusted director call for fielding because you cued 4H and partner was able to pass it? Or do they only rule against you when you bid 4H and are overheard saying that you did it in case partner was psyching?

The score is adjusted if your actions appear to cater for a psyche.

According to the regulations (which are worth reading just for entertainment), intent isn't taken into account. If you do something that "provides evidence" of an agreement (explicit or implicit) that partner might psyche, they cancel the board and replace it with 60-30 or the equivalent.

However, the regulations don't actually say that fielding it is illegal. Hence, according to a strict reading of the rules, you're allowed to intentionally field a psyche, as long as there's no agreement about psyching. If you can cater for the psyche without appearing to do so, that seems to be a legitimate tactic.

The relevant rules are in section 6 of the Orange Book.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-April-22, 05:01

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 09:07

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-22, 04:04, said:

According to the regulations (which are worth reading just for entertainment), intent isn't taken into account.

We seem to have rather different notions of entertainment.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 21:21

View PostAntrax, on 2012-April-22, 03:04, said:

Can you explain a bit about the rationale behind this bid? What's wrong with the standard 4 response? Were you worried the opponents would find 4 and partner won't be able to judge whether to penalize or compete?

obviously it's a rather minority view to psyche on a hand like this but the logic would include the following factors:-

1) partner only opened at the 1 level so his values are limited and we only have 1HCP ourselves so the opps very likely have the majority of the points despite 2nd hand's pass
2) with 10+ hearts between us the opps must also have a strong fit
3) bidding 1 makes it tricky for them to get to spades if they should and will make them wary that I've got values too, without promising so much that partner will get too excited, unlike if i gave a 2/1 instead.
4) holding 3 spades as opposed to fewer, makes it less likely partner has 4 of them in which case there won't be any problem about partner passing when we bid hearts later.
5) even if we catch partner with support we might be able to get back to hearts (hence the 4 cuebid to try and attract a 4 cue to pass)
6) we're nv so if the wheels do come off and we end up in a ridiculous contract it might still prove cheap if the opps have a game
7) a more normal 4 response will show the opps we have a strong fit and will make acting more attractive despite the high level

#15 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-April-22, 22:47

With the second psyche of 4 , I don't think any director would let the result stand.

If 4 were a legitimate bid, it would certainly be reasonable for opener to take more aggressive action than simply bidding 4 . Opener might use RKCB or even bid slam directly. So 4 could be viewed as fielding the psyche.

Unless bridge logic has uncovered the psyche, psycher's partner can't take any action that can be construed as fielding the psyche. Therefore, in the US, the director would at the minimum assign an adjusted score for the hand. Additional penalties might follow if the nature of the psyche was deemed egregious enough.

The burden of proof that the psyche was not fielded lies with psycher and his partner because fielding a psyche really constitutes a tacit illegal partnership agreement.

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 00:57

i suspect you don't understand that 4 is forcing.

#17 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 04:12

Yes I do not understand anyone who thinks cuebidding 4H can be ruled against as fielding. Aren't you just confirming you have a pretty good suit that partner can probably set up in grand? I guess there is an argument that if partner has two aces we will be making grand anyway, but I would like partner to be able to stay out of grand when he has some JTxxxx xxx Ax Ax. The only way that happens if if I tell my partner now that my hand is about hearts.

I guess keycard works pretty well if you can later ask for a third round heart control specifically, but that depends on what you play after 4n-5h. Some people would play 6H now as an offer of a place to play with AKQxxx hearts, some will play it as looking for grand and showing the heart K, and some will play it as asking for a third round heart control, I much prefer the latter method, but its not universal I don't think.

Still, how can a bid which is looking for a GS in a suit partner has supposedly psyched be fielding? it doesn't make any sense to me.

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#18 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 04:20

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-April-23, 04:12, said:

Still, how can a bid which is looking for a GS in a suit partner has supposedly psyched be fielding? it doesn't make any sense to me.

If this were said to a director or AC, pretty sure they would feel it was fielding.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-23, 05:15

If you do this often enough that your partner has reason to suspect it then it is (imho) part of your partnership agreements and needs to be disclosed. I find it funny that the OP picked out the opening bid as suspect when I would regard every other bid in the auction as more questionable.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 06:47

So let me see. You psyched, then psyched again, lost the post mortem, then appealed it to the forum on the grounds that partner should have made a bid that caters to the double psyche.

:blink:

Appeal without merit, deposit forfeited!
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users