• You cannot reply to this topic

Rick Perry vs. Barack Obama The campaign has begun

#421 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-February-22, 12:20

View Postkenberg, on 2012-February-22, 08:14, said:

I think they have Satanic Rites to use the name.

Yes, while all we have is The Right Stuff.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#422 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-February-22, 12:31

View Posty66, on 2012-February-22, 12:13, said:

I accidentally +1'd your post. Meant to reply thusly: Is there a second choice?

Not voting is a possibility...
:(
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#423 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-24, 18:39

"We went into a recession in 2008. People forget why," Rick Santorum told an audience recently. "They thought it was a housing bubble. The housing bubble was caused because of a dramatic spike in energy prices that caused the housing bubble to burst ... People had to pay so much money to air condition and heat their homes or pay for gasoline that they couldn't pay their mortgage."

I suppose by Santorum economics we should be in another recession right now because gas prices are at an all-time high. How could we possible be in a weak recovery, instead, Rick?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#424 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-26, 12:00

"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute," Santorum, a devout Catholic, said in an interview from Michigan on ABC's "This Week."

At long last, Santorum is talking some sense. Who cannot share the worldview of a Santorum theocracy? <_<

#425 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-26, 14:56

And, of course, who can forget Newt - other than the voters, that is...

The former speaker also criticized President Barack Obama's decision to apologize for the burning of Qurans at a military base in Afghanistan....Gingrich said George Washington would not have apologized for the incident....

He then admitted to an affair he had in 1771 with Betsy Ross, but denied rumors this laison affected his position as lobbyist for the London Tea Company at Boston Commons Wharf and Seafood Tavern.

#426 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-26, 20:44

Dear Rick Santorum:

Posted Image

#427 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-27, 07:52

MARQUETTE, Mich. (AP) — The question of whether Mitt Romney is conservative insane enough to deserve the Republican presidential nomination regained center stage in the GOP contest Sunday, with Rick Santorum saying the former Massachusetts governor fails the test.

There, Rick, FIFY.

#428 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 08:11

Who you gonna call?

Posted Image

Source: Krugman
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#429 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-February-29, 18:50

Onion.com "Romney Thanks State He Was Born And Raised In For Just Barely Giving Him Enough Votes To Beat Total Maniac"

Posted Image

#430 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 19:04

Listening to the news (always a danger to the mind) I gather that exit polls show that "best candidate for beating Obama" is now pretty much the way people explain their choice of Romney. This is a sad state of affairs. The Republican Party will be running a candidate that they neither like nor trust in the hope that he can beat someone they hate. What a way to live.
Ken

#431 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-March-04, 08:34

More from that hit new comedy show: Rick Santorum for President!

Campaigning across Ohio this weekend, the former Pennsylvania senator has been calling for fewer children born out of wedlock and fewer single-parent families.

Now, this line isn't particularly funny unless you understand that the main character thinks it is immoral and sinful to use condoms, contraceptives, or to masturbate.

This leaves a last case scenario of young adult men holding in their seaman until they finally swell and explode. "That spot. Oh, that's where St. Johnny exploded."

#432 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-March-04, 12:56

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-March-04, 08:34, said:

Now, this line isn't particularly funny unless you understand that the main character thinks it is immoral and sinful to use condoms, contraceptives, or to masturbate.

This leaves a last case scenario of young adult men holding in their seaman until they finally swell and explode. "That spot. Oh, that's were St. Johnny exploded."

Sorry to mention this, but the funny part is "holding in their seaman". Tom Lehrer addressed this in Be Prepared.
Yeah, I know, a bit gross.
Ken

#433 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-March-04, 13:29

This morning George Will in
http://www.washingto...3-04&bk=A&pg=23
more or less (mostly more) conceded that the Republicans have been unable to find a candidate that anyone can envision living in the White House. His plan B, as he calls it, is to take control of the Senate and keep control of the House. Apparently he is distraught by the fact that despite Republican's best efforts, once in a long while something actually gets done in Washington. Gotta fix that.

Me, I might think that if my party was unable to come up with a viable presidential candidate maybe we should rethink our fundamentals before trying to take control of anything.
Ken

#434 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-March-04, 13:35

View Postkenberg, on 2012-March-04, 13:29, said:

His plan B, as he calls it, is to take control of the Senate and keep control of the House. Apparently he is distraught by the fact that despite Republican's best efforts, once in a long while something actually gets done in Washington. Gotta fix that.

I found in this a nice, but all-too-rare, counterpoint: The House intelligence committee: A rare example of bipartisanship

The House intelligence committee used to be one of the meanest snake pits in Congress, a place where members were so busy sniping at each other that they failed to provide effective oversight of the intelligence community. It was a model of what was wrong with Washington.

Amazingly enough, the committee has found its way out of the wilderness under a new chairman and ranking Democrat, Reps. Mike Rogers, a Michigan Republican, and C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, who is from Maryland’s 2nd District. With their leadership, the House has approved intelligence-authorization bills by lopsided, bipartisan margins the past two fiscal years, after many years when the committee was too divided to pass such legislation.

“Rogers and Ruppersberger have made bipartisanship work,” says Gen. Mike Hayden, a former CIA director who struggled with the old, dysfunctional system. Back then, he recalls, “the committee was just wild — incredibly contentious and highly politicized. They have worked hard to get it back to business.”

More like congress used to work in the pre-Gingrich days...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#435 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-March-04, 16:22

In more bad news for the Republicans, it appears the economy is getting better, to boot...humor from Andy Borowitz:

BOROWITZ: In Positive Economic Sign, Republicans Starting to Say Obama Wasn’t Born in US Again

S & P Birther Index Posts Big Gains

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – In what some experts are calling a strong indicator of improvement in the economy, Republicans in recent weeks have begun renewing their claims that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States.

While most economists agree that any significant improvement in the US economy is generally accompanied by an uptick in GOP questions about Mr. Obama’s place of birth, there is now an econometric tool for measuring the increase in those claims: the so-called S & P Birther Index.

The Birther Index, established in 2008, measures the occurrences of such words as “birth certificate,” “Kenya,” and “wasn’t born here” in Republican statements about the President, and has proven to be a surprisingly reliable tool for tracking improvements in the economy.

Now, the really funny part about this is that it was meant as humor, but Floyd Norris of the New York Times decided to check it out and found out it was right!

Posted Image

#436 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-March-04, 18:16

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-March-04, 13:35, said:

I found in this a nice, but all-too-rare, counterpoint: The House intelligence committee: A rare example of bipartisanship

More like congress used to work in the pre-Gingrich days...

Interesting. Raises a question, though: is the measure of a "good" committee (or a "good" Congress) one that gets bills passed? Does not the content of the bills matter?

Put it another way: perhaps a "good" Congress is one that passes no bills that are detrimental to the country. I would also note, in the case of Gen. Hayden's complaint, that "good for the CIA" and "good for the country" aren't necessarily the same thing. The same would be true of any other government agency.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#437 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-March-04, 19:46

Sure, we should not just pass a bill, any bill, just so we passed a bill. But if we agree that the intelligence agencies are doing an important job and have needs, then some good bills need to get passed. Probably this means having people work together. I don't get to, or want to, flunk all of my students because they fall short of perfection.

It's fair enough to ask what they are passing as well as how much they are passing, but if they are not passing anything except gas then things are not going to go well. Or so think those of us who believe that government has an important role in the future of the country.
Ken

#438 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-March-04, 22:09

Doesn't it seem odd when a right-wing radio show host hoards more of the headlines than the presidential candidates? And what was that non-apology apology of his?

That the GOP candidates refuse to condemn Limbaugh shows to me how broken the GOP is when they fear antagonizing a radio show host and his audience more than they respect the basic ethics of a civil society.

#439 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2012-March-05, 17:13

Demented Senator thinks he is still a candidate for President, vows to "Outcrazy them all!"

Saying "the time has come for a new policy" in Syria, veteran Republican Sen. John McCain called Monday for U.S.-led airstrikes on President Bashar al-Assad's forces in an effort to protect civilians from a bloody yearlong crackdown by the regime.

#440 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 23:52

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-March-04, 08:34, said:

This leaves a last case scenario of young adult men holding in their seaman until they finally swell and explode. "That spot. Oh, that's where St. Johnny exploded."

How are young men going to explode from hugging sailors? You do realize that there are female sailors, so the young men don't need to fill up with semen. :)
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users