• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rick Perry vs. Barack Obama The campaign has begun

#181 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-23, 17:40

I am always impressed with how much foreigners seem to know about american politics (aka, way way more than me!). I know part of this is LOLamericans and we are accustomed to a lower level of knowing about other countries and all that... but I was wondering how much of it is that I am getting a skewed sample because I read internet forums (where people are more likely to be the types to read up and follow american politics, and more likely to be smart), and how much of it is that it is actually common for an average person from a random western european country to know about US politics.

#182 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-23, 18:42

It's much easier for the average European to follow US politics than reversed for the US guys, because there are only two clear structured political camps and two centres of political power, White House & Congress.A glass house...compared the the "european jungle" Also, I suppose there are x times more US politic reports in main european TV news than reversed. And not at least the global impacts of the US politic on Europe are much bigger.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#183 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-29, 07:50

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-November-23, 17:40, said:

I am always impressed with how much foreigners seem to know about american politics (aka, way way more than me!). I know part of this is LOLamericans and we are accustomed to a lower level of knowing about other countries and all that... but I was wondering how much of it is that I am getting a skewed sample because I read internet forums (where people are more likely to be the types to read up and follow american politics, and more likely to be smart), and how much of it is that it is actually common for an average person from a random western european country to know about US politics.

You are getting a very skewed sample. My friends, to a man, are generally v smart people, but in a poll on a group conversation, it turned out about 30% of them didnt know the difference between deficit and debt. :( Since that has been dominating political discourse for about two years, it was really pretty depressing. I can only imagine that the general population is much worse.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#184 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-01, 01:36

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-November-20, 09:44, said:

In other news, the time may have come to buy Romney. I have thought the whole time that if ANY viable candidate emerged, they would beat Romney, cuz ZOMG HES A MORMON! That said, if the most viable alternative is Newt... I can't really see Romney losing at this point.

Romney's dropped below 50% now. Gingrich is soaring (is America ready for a First Homewrecker? I'm still clinging to the hope that somehow Paul or Huntsman will break through.)

In other news, the time may have come to ask Justin for political predictions so you can bet on the opposite happening.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#185 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-December-01, 04:44

I officially bought Romney, doesn't necessarily mean I am wrong if I wanted to buy Romney earlier as I am not trying to predict how the market will change, just who will win (I am a value investor! lol).

#186 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-01, 15:53

Gingrich would also be only the 2nd divorced president. As I type this Romney 47.4 Gingrich 37.6. I guess it's cool that we're into December and it's still a race, I just wish I liked one of the two candidates.

If only Ron Paul were 20 years younger and had a better voice.

While I personally can't stand Bachmann I was impressed by her grasp of the issues until her recent 'pull the embassy from Iran' flub.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#187 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-December-03, 19:33

Ladies and Gentleman, Herman Cain has left the clown car...
Alderaan delenda est

#188 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-03, 23:58

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-December-03, 19:33, said:

What's more sad is that Huntsman now seems to be excluded from Republican debates. I liked having him there to (occasionally) say something sensible. He's also the one Republican contender I'd consider voting for in the general election (I'm pretty disappointed with Obama)... but of course there was never a chance they'd nominate him.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#189 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-December-04, 13:17

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-December-03, 19:33, said:

I heard Cain was going to go into business with Rick Perry after the election to start a chain of Texas Dominionist pizza parlors where if the pizza didn't show up within 30 minutes, the customer gets blamed for his lack of delivery faith and has to pay an added corporate inconvenience surcharge.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#190 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-December-09, 13:23

Looks like the Republican race is entering another phase; Romney is starting to use Gingrich-speak against Newt himself: Newt’s nastiness comes back to haunt him.

Nearly two decades ago, Gingrich’s political action committee, with the help of GOP wordsmith Frank Luntz, issued a now-famous memo telling Republican candidates which words they should use to describe their opponents. Among them: “anti,” “betray,” “bizarre,” “corrupt,” “destructive,” “disgrace,” “shame,” “lie,” “pathetic,” “radical,” “self-serving,” “selfish,” “shallow,” “shame,” “sick,” “traitors.”

“These are powerful words that can create a clear and easily understood contrast,” this Gingrich-endorsed memo explained. “Remember that creating a difference helps you. Apply these to the opponent, their record, proposals and their party.”

With that memo, and with the slashing style of politics that brought Republicans to power in the House for the first time in generations, Gingrich did more than anybody else to set the tone in Washington. Now, in a form of rough justice, the savagery has come full circle and is being used against its sponsor.

But wait! Newt has an unlimited supply of adjectives to unleash against his brain-dead, pustule-sucking opponents. Should be a fun month.
:lol:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#191 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-09, 13:53

Do I really have this right? The December 27th debate will be hosted by Donald Trump?
http://www.newsmax.c...CFchM4Aod4EHXRw
Will ha be saying "You're fired!"? Would whoever is planning this like to stop embarrassing the country?
Ken

#192 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-09, 13:59

View Postkenberg, on 2011-December-09, 13:53, said:

Do I really have this right? The December 27th debate will be hosted by Donald Trump?
http://www.newsmax.c...CFchM4Aod4EHXRw
Will ha be saying "You're fired!"? Would whoever is planning this like to stop embarrassing the country?

Some of the republican candidates have declined to attend that circus. So far as I know, only Gingrich and Santorum have agreed to appear so far. I understand that Trump will either endorse a candidate after that debate or, if he doesn't like what they say, run himself as an independent.
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#193 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-December-09, 14:45

View PostPassedOut, on 2011-December-09, 13:59, said:

Some of the republican candidates have declined to attend that circus.

santorum probably figures he has nothing to lose... the others don't want to debate newt unless there are enough of them to dilute his time... neither obama nor his teleprompter want to either, but i doubt he has to worry about it
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#194 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-December-09, 15:09

I think it has more to do with the moderator (who is likely to try and steal the show) than with Newt. I'd expect that Romney would be happy to face off against Newt one-on-one under normal circumstances. I also don't think Obama is scared of Newt -- the same over-the-top attacks that make Newt popular with the Republican base (along with a history of shutting down the government and a wide range of ethical issues) will kill Newt's chances in the general election.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#195 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-December-09, 16:28

View Postawm, on 2011-December-09, 15:09, said:

I'd expect that Romney would be happy to face off against Newt one-on-one under normal circumstances.

i could be wrong, but i think he's already declined that opportunity

I also don't think Obama is scared of Newt

i don't know if he is or not, but i think a debate would not go well for obama
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#196 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-December-09, 16:32

Lincoln and Douglass debated. These guys? Pah! They wouldn't know a debate if it bit 'em.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#197 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-December-10, 08:42

New Perry ad implodes.

In the commercial, titled "Strong," Perry says, "You know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas."

The spot has even divided top Perry staffers. Terry Fabrizio, a lead pollster for the Perry campaign branded it "nuts" in an email according to Sam Stein of the Huffington Post.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#198 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-December-10, 08:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-December-10, 08:42, said:

New Perry ad implodes.

I don't follow US politics THAT accurately but I think this might have been one of the most discriminatory things a presidential candidate has said for a while. Especially painful in an advertisement, which is not live. This is a statement that might come from a Christian version of the Iranian president.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#199 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-10, 09:56

View PostGerben42, on 2011-December-10, 08:58, said:

I don't follow US politics THAT accurately but I think this might have been one of the most discriminatory things a presidential candidate has said for a while. Especially painful in an advertisement, which is not live. This is a statement that might come from a Christian version of the Iranian president.

It appears that Perry tried to mitigate the homophobia aspect by dressing like a character in 'Brokeback Mountain' but that might have been too subtle for a political ad.

#200 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2011-December-10, 10:08

View PostGerben42, on 2011-December-10, 08:58, said:

You should be glad you aren't following US politics that closely. I think Herman Cain has been a lot worse (try googling Herman Cain bigot).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users