• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-13, 07:29

#2 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-13, 09:03

A few choices come to mind.
1 your best suit, usually limited to about 8 or 9 points...with more strength you could jump to 2.
1NT usually about 8 to 10 points with a stop in
Pass converting the Double.

I think it's a close call. 1 seems safest, but rather consevative, 1NT gets the hand mostly off your chest but the shape is not ideal. Pass has some appeal especially if the scoring is matchpoints which I will assume.

Pass = 10
1NT = 7
1 = 5
2 = 3

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-14, 00:56

Pass and don't forget to agree with your pd that when 1 minor is dbled and converted to penalty, trump lead makes miracles for defense :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 01:39

Is your hand really good enough for a penalty pass? You have only one sure trump trick, and what's worse, you can't "draw trumps" since declarer can potentially stop drawing trumps twice with the A and K. Are you sure that opposite a minimum opening partner with club shortness, you will set 1?
(honest question)

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-14, 02:29

I will make the slight underbid of 1D and am happy to bid 1NT over any Major bid by partner. I don't think a penalty pass is correct on this hand and would not contemplate it. I would be disappointed if any of my partners did contemplate passing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-14, 03:28

View Postthe hog, on 2011-August-14, 02:29, said:

I will make the slight underbid of 1D and am happy to bid 1NT over any Major bid by partner. I don't think a penalty pass is correct on this hand and would not contemplate it. I would be disappointed if any of my partners did contemplate passing.

the 1D slight underbid is acceptable, but if partner then bids a major we cannot rebid 1NT. If my partner doubles, then bids 1H, we are in game in hearts; she is too strong to overcall. If she doubles, then bids 1S/my 1D, we are in game in notrump.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-14, 04:48

View PostAntrax, on 2011-August-14, 01:39, said:

Is your hand really good enough for a penalty pass? You have only one sure trump trick, and what's worse, you can't "draw trumps" since declarer can potentially stop drawing trumps twice with the A and K. Are you sure that opposite a minimum opening partner with club shortness, you will set 1?

A very good question. I am not sure at all, and though I might pass anyway at matchpoints, I think I will more often bid 1.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 04:50

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-August-14, 03:28, said:

the 1D slight underbid is acceptable, but if partner then bids a major we cannot rebid 1NT. If my partner doubles, then bids 1H, we are in game in hearts; she is too strong to overcall. If she doubles, then bids 1S/my 1D, we are in game in notrump.

Sure, if your partnership has such a massive hatred of ELC (Equal Level Conversion), then good for you. Others may have a more flexible view of how much strength 1 or 1 shows here.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 05:08

I would always pass this double. If I was not allowed to pass I would bid 1NT, so all these 1 bids look a bit odd to me.

(honest question)

Yes, it is good enough. One sure trump trick maybe, but very often QJT84 will be 3 trump tricks, and if partner has the Ace or King we might have 4 trump tricks. We don't have an eight card major fit (partner would overcall 1 with 5), we expect to have at least half the pack and often more, and we have a stack in the opponent's suit. When the deal is a partscore, passing will often pick up 200 or 500, with some -140s. When we have a game (3NT) we will often collect more than 500.

The only problem with passing is that opener will often run - the opponents have an 8 or 9 card spade fit, and I won't defend 1X.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:10

Is your hand really good enough for a penalty pass?
{snip}
Are you sure that opposite a minimum opening partner with club shortness, you will set 1?

These two questions are not identical. There are hands where you make a penalty pass where you are not sure that you will set the doubled contract that you are volunteering to defend against. The point is that 200 and 500 are really nice results to take home, worth the occasional -140. -340 is just about impossible. We are trying to maximise our imp expectancy and in this case double seems to be that action. 1NT will make most of the time but that is only +90 or +120. These clubs will be happier to be trumps, they can be useless in our NT contract.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:15

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-14, 07:10, said:

We are trying to maximise our imp expectancy

Well, except when we're not. -140 could be pretty horrible at matchpoints.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:16

So conceptually there's no chance for us missing game, or we expect the bonanza from defending 1 doubled will be worth it?
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding Lawrence or if people here just disagree with his view. As an aside, if it were W/W, would people be less inclined to pass?

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:42

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-14, 07:15, said:

Well, except when we're not. -140 could be pretty horrible at matchpoints.

And +200 could be pretty sweet at matchpoints.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-14, 07:48

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-14, 04:50, said:

Sure, if your partnership has such a massive hatred of ELC (Equal Level Conversion), then good for you. Others may have a more flexible view of how much strength 1 or 1 shows here.

Actually, we just have different views of the double of 1C. Minimum opening strength hands sometimes pass 1club, and sometimes overcall. We use ELC when a major has been doubled and a club advance is converted to diamonds, and don't extend it to the one-level so that we can make off-shape doubles of 1m.

Notice I stated "if my partner doubles" and "we"...not presuming what you or your partner does or should do.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-14, 09:25

(honest question)

What layout produces only 1 trump trick?. I can't think of one. Reasonably, I expect to take 3 trump tricks

View Post655321, on 2011-August-14, 05:08, said:

I would always pass this double. If I was not allowed to pass I would bid 1NT, so all these 1 bids look a bit odd to me.

Yes, it is good enough. One sure trump trick maybe, but very often QJT84 will be 3 trump tricks, and if partner has the Ace or King we might have 4 trump tricks. We don't have an eight card major fit (partner would overcall 1 with 5), we expect to have at least half the pack and often more, and we have a stack in the opponent's suit. When the deal is a partscore, passing will often pick up 200 or 500, with some -140s. When we have a game (3NT) we will often collect more than 500.

The only problem with passing is that opener will often run - the opponents have an 8 or 9 card spade fit, and I won't defend 1X.

Why would opener "often" run. His partner passed the double, can he reasonably expect to improve matters. I do agree the ops may have a 4/4 fit, but will they find it? will it improve their chances to make?. If they run to 1, and partner DBL's I would leave it in and expect to beat it.

#16 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-15, 02:01

What layout produces only 1 trump trick?. I can't think of one. Reasonably, I expect to take 3 trump tricks

If opener has AK9xx(x) over your QJT8x, he can finesse the 9, no? Especially true if your partner leads a trump (and he has a five-card suit).

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-15, 02:41

View PostAntrax, on 2011-August-15, 02:01, said:

If opener has AK9xx(x) over your QJT8x, he can finesse the 9, no? Especially true if your partner leads a trump (and he has a five-card suit).

Well, if you think this is the layout, you should insert the ten on the first round of the suit. Subsequently declarer will have to play trumps from hand and your QJ8 will all take tricks. The only exception is when dummy has a long running suit where declarer can threaten overruffs, but this is very rare in a 1-level contract.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-15, 03:58

I don't follow. If you split, declarer wins and finesses again from the dummy, eventually the 9 has to win, no? It may get more interesting of clubs are 5-5-2-1 around the table, then you can split twice and he can't finesse a third time, and then it's harder to decide if you get one or two trump tricks.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-15, 04:10

Fair comment.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-August-15, 04:30

Antrax, sorry, I am confused. how many clubs does dummy have? we have 5 and in your case declarer has 5 or 6 (AK9xx(x)) and you said that partner will lead a club, so presumably he has a club too?
      George Carlin

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users