• You cannot reply to this topic

help suit slam try Jxx....

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-06, 06:40

Link to hand

Does J52 really qualify as "help". It would also be useful if it only jumped to 5M if trumps were it's ONLY concern. I'm very control rich for what I've shown and slam still had no play....
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-August-06, 11:32

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-August-06, 06:40, said:

Link to hand

Does J52 really qualify as "help". It would also be useful if it only jumped to 5M if trumps were it's ONLY concern. I'm very control rich for what I've shown and slam still had no play....

Does the 2NT bid (invite for just 3NT, in theory is bid that might be passed) could suddenly raise to a slam interest 3 bid?

And if the trumps are the only problem, 5- 8421 doesn't seem as guaranteed honor strength for 6 toward KJxxx.

The 5 bid promises just points, it's just maximum and should have in mind it skips all controls cuebids, so that denies all aces in outside heart suit.

After all how attractive that 1NT hand could be that your balanced 18HCP ( although having 7 controls ) with top 3 tricks and not so good trump may gear up for slam?

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-06, 11:49

5H doesn't say any more about points that 3D had already. The 3S bid is safe considering I'm already limited fairly tightly. Arguably dreaming, but if dummy is Axx Qxx Qxxxxx x, slam needs little more than trumps 3-2. When that kind of bidding does happen, 3S really ought to say it's slam suitable. As for the raise with KJxxx, the robots nearly always has at least 1 honor there. Though obviously not the case here, remember that 5- means KJx or worse, so even Qxxxx can be enough if you're lucky!

Just from experience, 5H doesn't deny a control elsewhere. It pretty much does it on most "slam-suitable" hands. I know I'm not always right, but it does feel really wrong for GiB to be jumping to 5H there. Even AQx AKxxx Kx Axx is only a fair slam and thats a 20 count (with 8! controls)
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-August-06, 15:22

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-August-06, 11:49, said:

5H doesn't say any more about points that 3D had already. The 3S bid is safe considering I'm already limited fairly tightly. Arguably dreaming, but if dummy is Axx Qxx Qxxxxx x, slam needs little more than trumps 3-2. When that kind of bidding does happen, 3S really ought to say it's slam suitable. As for the raise with KJxxx, the robots nearly always has at least 1 honor there. Though obviously not the case here, remember that 5- means KJx or worse, so even Qxxxx can be enough if you're lucky!

Just from experience, 5H doesn't deny a control elsewhere. It pretty much does it on most "slam-suitable" hands. I know I'm not always right, but it does feel really wrong for GiB to be jumping to 5H there. Even AQx AKxxx Kx Axx is only a fair slam and thats a 20 count (with 8! controls)

The differences which GIB could get from the bidding are:
2NT is 17-19HCP 22- total points;
3 - same HCP of course, but 21-22 total points.

The provided hand K104 KJ876 AK A63 has 18HCP/18TP.
2NT limits the hand up to HCP, but there are some more total points you could increase with the further bids.

5- means xxx or better, 5+ means KJ+, 4+ means QJx or better, etc.

Of course 5 might not be better bid here, but GIBs can't be equipped for all auctions we could encounter at the table.

They are doing the best for what they get in their "brains".

And are improved as soon as possible with new updates.

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-August-20, 16:29

Link to hand

Just to know: how i can copy from "My Hands" in this visible way an hand that i played ?.Thanks.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-20, 19:54

View PostLovera, on 2015-August-20, 16:29, said:

Just to know: how i can copy from "My Hands" in this visible way an hand that i played ?.Thanks.

http://www.bridgebas...a-hand-diagram/

#7 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:16

Link to hand

Given that Gib started with the weakness showing 1nt, your slam try was ridiculously optimistic.

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-24, 21:50

deleted
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-24, 23:27

View Postcloa513, on 2015-August-24, 13:16, said:

Given that Gib started with the weakness showing 1nt, your slam try was ridiculously optimistic.

Within the context of his earlier 2N bid he could hardly be stronger.

I agree that slam is vanishingly remote. It was effectively a "practice" slam try on the way to game. As with an unnecessary ("practice") finesse it was a futile waste of time. Except that it was not futile as it creates an opportunity to expose a flaw in GIB's subsequent judgement.

Perhaps a better use for the sequence would be to investigate 3N as an alternative strain, although given that it is the only bid available between 3H and 3N it is hard to see how it could be used.

PS just realised this is a necro-thread. Another Lovera special. Should have realised. The clue is in the fact that it contains a response from Georgi.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-25, 00:57

View Postgeorgi, on 2011-August-06, 15:22, said:

The differences which GIB could get from the bidding are:
2NT is 17-19HCP 22- total points;
3 - same HCP of course, but 21-22 total points.
To my mind 2N is non-forcing. Did no-one think to question this response 4 years ago?

View Postgeorgi, on 2011-August-06, 15:22, said:

2NT limits the hand up to HCP, but there are some more total points you could increase with the further bids.
The capacity to enhance the HCP by way of additional distributional points would be somewhat restricted, in my view, by the fact that opener is almost certainly 5332 shape, or maybe one card adrift.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 09:57

I started playing in GIB tourneys almost two years ago, and I have never seen GIB make an invitational bid of 5 of a major. Glad they got rid of it if this was an example. Every one of openers 18 HCP is working and you need another Ace to make slam.

#12 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-26, 05:42

View Postiandayre, on 2015-August-25, 09:57, said:

I started playing in GIB tourneys almost two years ago, and I have never seen GIB make an invitational bid of 5 of a major. Glad they got rid of it if this was an example. Every one of openers 18 HCP is working and you need another Ace to make slam.

Back then, the robots were practically allergic to RKC. Pretty much any time it had slam interest, it would cuebid or jump to 5M.
Wayne Somerville

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-August-26, 09:51

View Postgeorgi, on 2011-August-06, 11:32, said:

Does the 2NT bid (invite for just 3NT, in theory is bid that might be passed) could suddenly raise to a slam interest 3 bid?

And if the trumps are the only problem, 5- 8421 doesn't seem as guaranteed honor strength for 6 toward KJxxx.

The 5 bid promises just points, it's just maximum and should have in mind it skips all controls cuebids, so that denies all aces in outside heart suit.

After all how attractive that 1NT hand could be that your balanced 18HCP ( although having 7 controls ) with top 3 tricks and not so good trump may gear up for slam?

However it is can also bid 2 directly and then raise to 3 showing the same points and diamond suit (it is right that with 5- 8421 .. in H, the Ace(=8) there is not).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users