• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Rodwell Files

#41 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-03, 01:05

Thanks, Ben.

Hm. Maybe it's time I read it again. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 18:42

Enuf said, u guys made me buy my 2nd bridge book in last 10 years. I would have never bought this book after i bought Erick Rodwell and Audrey Grant's 2 over 1 book which was total dissapointment for me.

I mean geez.... MikeH,Justin and a lot of decent players here says it is a great book, so it must be. What scares me is when the expectation is too high i am known to be dissapointed easily. Hoping it will be delievered tomorrow before i leave the house for the road.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#43 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-11, 00:43

Timo it is a great book you won't be disappointed. And everyone finds stuff relevant to his/her level.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#44 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-11, 16:57

View Postgwnn, on 2012-February-11, 00:43, said:

Timo it is a great book you won't be disappointed. And everyone finds stuff relevant to his/her level.

Ok i recieved it today :)

Going to my den to read it :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#45 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 20:22

Eric on youtube

#46 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-02, 08:57

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-11, 16:57, said:

Ok i recieved it today :)

Going to my den to read it :P

Judging from your performance last weekend, I take it you didn't have much time to read? :rolleyes: (you could ask me the same, and my answer would be: no, I didn't read a lot of it!)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#47 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:02

I think I'm on my 3rd read of it now. Its gets better and better.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#48 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-March-04, 09:45

Nice to see ER giving credit to Mark Horton on that youtube video for bringing this book to life.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#49 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-05, 20:40

Definitely agree this book is a must for any expert. It filled in a big gap in my knowledge. I learned fom the GiB feature on handviewer that I was trying too much as defender to win establishment races (thanks Fred) and I needed to make more plays to prevent declarer from getting to his tricks, then wait for our tricks in the endgame. This book is a compendium of techniques for doing just that.

It's also got a lot of useful material on declarer play.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#50 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 17:40

Got it for Christmas.

Good, but difficult read for me,....I have a lot to learn.
So far, I'm rereading the first 100 pages or so, still trying to get my head around some of it. I might make it through the rest by the end of the year.

#51 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-13, 01:43

I've been reading it off and on since I bought it last summer, and I'm getting close to the end (I'm in the chapter on leading into dummy's tenace). I'm also finding it tough. My difficulty is similar to the books on squeezes: they tell how to execute the clever plays, but it's still mostly left as an exercise for the reader to figure out WHEN they need to come up with these brilliancies. I guess there aren't many easy rules you can offer -- what makes these players so good is that they're able to visualize the hand and figure out "we're only beating the contract if partner has X, and if he does I need to do Y."

#52 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 11:40

I'm reading it too, not in the middle yet, I think its a great book, but I agree its far from an easy read especially if you try not to be lazy and think of every problem before you read the solution.
very happy i bought it.

#53 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-May-03, 22:48

I don't think that there's a single person who posts here other than top WC who've seen this stuff before it was published who won't benefit from this book which may be the best book ever written on card play for advanced players.

If I open the book 3 times to random pages I almost always learn something new or get something important reinforced.

Oh and many of us may have to do some work to better understand some of this....so don't be lazy and get a deck of cards if needed and construct the diagrams if you can't follow Eric's idea(s).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users