BBO Discussion Forums: older version vs new version of BBo - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

older version vs new version of BBo

#1 User is offline   lgkc1 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 2011-August-01

Posted 2011-August-01, 18:37

The older downloadable version includes all the players currently online in alphabetical order. This is very handy.

Why doesn’t the newer version that downloads directly have this feature?

I teach large classes of beginners. I have them begin their login name with KC (kcjoe, kcjoe3, kcbetty, etc) so they can find each other to play with. Also so I can find them and help them figure out BBO and get them playing. They cannot do this on the new version. Is it that tough to include or is there a reason it cannot be included.

The search feature isn't adequate if you don't know the login names of who you are looking for.

Thanks
0

#2 User is offline   A2003 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: 2005-December-16

Posted 2011-August-01, 19:22

View Postlgkc1, on 2011-August-01, 18:37, said:

The older downloadable version includes all the players currently online in alphabetical order. This is very handy.

Why doesn’t the newer version that downloads directly have this feature?

I teach large classes of beginners. I have them begin their login name with KC (kcjoe, kcjoe3, kcbetty, etc) so they can find each other to play with. Also so I can find them and help them figure out BBO and get them playing. They cannot do this on the new version. Is it that tough to include or is there a reason it cannot be included.

The search feature isn't adequate if you don't know the login names of who you are looking for.

Thanks


There is a "sort by category" feature. May be that will help.
0

#3 User is offline   lgkc1 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 2011-August-01

Posted 2011-August-01, 20:06

View PostA2003, on 2011-August-01, 19:22, said:

There is a "sort by category" feature. May be that will help.


No--the sort by category doesn't solve my problem of finding out who is currently online if I do not know their log in name. I would like the instant version of BBO to have all the players listed like the older downloadable version. So I repeat, why isn't this feature in the newer version?
0

#4 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 11,519
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-August-01, 20:38

Because downloading all the thousands of users who are logged in, and keeping it updated, put a big strain on the servers, and it also makes logging in take forever (especially for people with slow connections).

#5 User is offline   hotShot 

  • Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,962
  • Joined: 2003-August-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-August-02, 02:45

Let them make a list of the login names, you can enter these names into your friend list.
0

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 1,832
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2011-August-02, 03:31

View PosthotShot, on 2011-August-02, 02:45, said:

Let them make a list of the login names, you can enter these names into your friend list.


This seems like a good solution. All students email the teacher and let him know their BBO usernames to be added to the list of friends. The teacher can then email his students with the updated list of friends, so that they can find each other on BBO.

#7 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,536
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-05, 06:29

Use the downloadable version to add names beginning with "kc" as friends, and use the online version for all other purposes.

Personally I do the opposite, I use the downloadable version except when I want to do some partnership bidding (because otherwise I don't have GIBs for intervention).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users