Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signals etc opinions required please

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-27, 03:24

Hi, what do you do if you cant signal as agreed because your spare cards are a bit ambiguous?

and then how can you tell if your partner has signalled using a card that is ambiguous?

#2 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-27, 06:10

sceptic, on Sep 27 2004, 10:24 PM, said:

Hi, what do you do if you cant signal as agreed because your spare cards are a bit ambiguous?

and then how can you tell if your partner has signalled using a card that is ambiguous?

I will answer this as if you had asked about DISCARD signals ( rather than enc/disc ones) --- guess you need to find a system which allows you to chose more than ONE suit for signals as it is NORMALLY easier to find an unambiguous card for your first discard <_<

#3 User is offline   Gerben47 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 06:34

You make your signal as agreed and hope partner can read it. He might have the missing low or high cards. And if he doesn't, you can clear up your signal with your next card(s). Don't play signals using odd and even cards, as these are unambiguous and cannot be cleared up.

If you play low-high signals, remember that from two cards one is always highest and another lowest. If both are even and you need an odd card, one of the even card is not more odd than the other...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-September-27, 07:12

(sarcastic mode on)... I sit and fidget, pulling one card then the other. Eventually, I play as good a card as I could even though it is ambigous.

(still on).. no need to worry, step one has solved the problem. Partner will have worked out whay my proble was (now going off)....

Ok,, that would be illegal, but that is what happens everday 1000 times when this situation comes up. Of course none of us will do that. Your partner can see the spot cards in his hand, the sopt cards in dummy, and he can usually infer from the bidding and the fall of the cards on the first trick, about how many small cards declerer might have in the suit. Usually, but not always, he can work it out. For instance, playing odd/even carding.. if someone can see the 3,5.7, and 9 between dummy and his hand, he will know you can not give an odd card signal if you wanted too...

Ben
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 08:32

This can sometimes happen when you play odd / even, or Lavinthal. With udca; frequently pard can still read the card, due to the relative size of the spot.

Sometimes you have to give an 'impossible' signal, and hope partner can work it out.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 08:43

inquiry, on Sep 27 2004, 03:12 PM, said:

Usually, but not always, he can work it out. For instance, playing odd/even carding.. if someone can see the 3,5.7, and 9 between dummy and his hand, he will know you can not give an odd card signal if you wanted too...

Ben

Hi Ben

mostly u can work it out if combining odd/even with roman. Then you have many choices to show interest in a special suit.

E.g. Spades are trump.

You like , throw : 9,7,5,3, ; 10,8,6(?); 10;8,(6)
You like , throw: 9,7,5,3, ; 10,8,6(?); 2;4,6(?)
You like , throw: 9,7,5,3, ; 2,4,6(?); 2;4,6(?)

One of these 10 cards is normally available and btw. much more important than signals is to count (tricks, HCP, distribution ...), think logical and imagine, what is going on. <_<

Cheers

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-September-27, 08:53

xx1943, on Sep 27 2004, 10:43 AM, said:

inquiry, on Sep 27 2004, 03:12 PM, said:

Usually, but not always, he can work it out. For instance, playing odd/even carding.. if someone can see the 3,5.7, and 9 between dummy and his hand, he will know you can not give an odd card signal if you wanted too...

Ben

Hi Ben

mostly u can work it out if combining odd/even with roman. Then you have many choices to show interest in a special suit.

E.g. Spades are trump.

You like , throw : 9,7,5,3, ; 10,8,6(?); 10;8,(6)
You like , throw: 9,7,5,3, ; 10,8,6(?); 2;4,6(?)
You like , throw: 9,7,5,3, ; 2,4,6(?); 2;4,6(?)

One of these 10 cards is normally available and btw. much more important than signals is to count (tricks, HCP, distribution ...), think logical and imagine, what is going on. <_<

Cheers

Al

Yes.. that is roman discards.. where you have three suits to choose from.. I was talking about roman follow suit signals here...but priniciple same with standard or with udca.. if you want your partner to continue suit, sometimes the only spot card you have is the two... if you play udca, great.. if not, whoops.. or the only spot card you have is the 9.. if you play standard, great, if not, whoops..

Ben
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 08:58

inquiry, on Sep 27 2004, 04:53 PM, said:

I was talking about roman follow suit signals here...

Hi Ben

roman follow-suit-signals shld be forbidden for the reason of hesitating .... you described in your previous post.

cheers

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 09:32

sceptic, on Sep 27 2004, 10:24 AM, said:

The generally accepted practice (in the UK) is to peter (play high-low) if you are able to play two cards.

For example, playing odd-even discards with no appropriate card to play, play high-low in one suit and hope partner works it out.

p
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 09:34

Dont Signal with a card you might need, its that simple.
Partner suppose to read the situation.
You need a good signaling method which define the order of cards from incarage to discarage, for example if you play odd inc, then 3 is more incarage then 5 7 and 9, if i throw the 9 , partner checking the spots missing might understand that i actually discarage the suit.
In general dont overrate signaling, they are only second to normal carding, some good players dont even use signaling at all (atleast at total score or imp) some like me rarly give count.

#11 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 10:35

i generally play o/e roman discards, so this doesn't come up often, but when it does i try to make a point of signalling something which my partner should be able to surmise is entirely impossible.

ie, encouraging a suit that dummy has strong honours in, etc.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users