BBO Discussion Forums: What's the best way to improve your play? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best way to improve your play? play includes declare play and defense

Poll: What's the best way to improve your play? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Declare play

1. Solving problems on bridge books (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

2. Reading books that the author gives instructions and examples (15 votes [36.59%])

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

3. Software(e.g. BM2000) (12 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

4. Play random deal(offline or online) (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

5. Other (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Defense

1. Solving problems on bridge books (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

2. Reading books that the author gives instructions and examples (16 votes [39.02%])

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

3. Software (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

4. Play random deal(offline or online) (7 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

5. Other (11 votes [26.83%])

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-08, 07:56

jogs, on 2011-July-07, 17:34, said:

For defense learn to count.
Count to 13. Remember your hand. Count declarer's hand. Count partner's hand. Count each of the four suits. Count declarer's tricks. Count defensive tricks. Memorize all four suit patterns which add to 13.Make a mental note of trick one.

A long time ago, I wrote a little program (in Turbo Pascal, so a loooong time ago). The program spit out 3 numbers. The user (my wife or me) had to enter the fourth number that would make the total 13. Obviously, there was a timer to see how fast you could do this.

This tiny tool helped me tremendously in my counting of the hand.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-08, 09:18

Trinidad, on 2011-July-08, 07:56, said:

A long time ago, I wrote a little program (in Turbo Pascal, so a loooong time ago). The program spit out 3 numbers. The user (my wife or me) had to enter the fourth number that would make the total 13. Obviously, there was a timer to see how fast you could do this.

Rik

There is a web-page with that program. Anyway the advice from Kelsey was to count distribution instead of sheep. This is good, there are only 39 of these numbers.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#23 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-08, 09:21

Trinidad, on 2011-July-08, 07:56, said:

Rik

Hanoi5, on 2011-July-08, 09:18, said:

There is a web-page with that program. Anyway the advice from Kelsey was to count distribution instead of sheep. This is good, there are only 39 of these numbers.

Fred wrote such a program. Find it in this thread, or directly here.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-08, 10:01

Meh. I've had a lot of problems with Flash, so I disabled it. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-08, 10:42

Vampyr, on 2011-July-05, 19:58, said:

Play rubber bridge for higher stakes than you can afford.

When I did that, all I learnt was that I wasn't as good as I thought I was, and that bridge is better if you're allowed to play negative doubles.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#26 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-09, 08:25

This is one of my favorite posts on this topic. A lot of good stuff in this thread too.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#27 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-July-09, 13:55

Try this. Count everyone's pattern. Then sum the suits from those patterns. It's surprising how often you don't get 13 cards for each suit. Just need to practice more.

#28 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-09, 22:27

Some good resources for improving play: Fred Gitleman's Deal of the Week series, Gavin Wolpert's Road to Victory series and Phillip Martin's The Gargoyle Chronicles. They all do an amazing job of communicating how experts think about the play of the hand.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#29 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-10, 18:12

y66, on 2011-July-09, 08:25, said:

This is one of my favorite posts on this topic. A lot of good stuff in this thread too.

Not convinced playing a large quantity of hands will do much to improve one's games. One needs to play hands and analyze them to death. That's the advantage of online play. Only play minis which have 50+ tables in play. Then you can check to see what every else did with your same cards.

#30 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-11, 01:43

jogs, on 2011-July-10, 18:12, said:

Not convinced playing a large quantity of hands will do much to improve one's games. One needs to play hands and analyze them to death. That's the advantage of online play. Only play minis which have 50+ tables in play. Then you can check to see what every else did with your same cards.

Just scroll down and read step 2 please. Note that there are also steps 3, 4 and 5.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#31 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 07:32

Free, on 2011-July-11, 01:43, said:

Just scroll down and read step 2 please. Note that there are also steps 3, 4 and 5.

Is it possible to play 500+ hands a week and have time for steps 3, 4 and 5?

Step 4. Analyze hands. Are players really capable of analyzing hands unemotionally? Online it's possible to view the action of the other tables.

#32 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-11, 07:55

jogs, on 2011-July-11, 07:32, said:

Is it possible to play 500+ hands a week and have time for steps 3, 4 and 5?

500+ hands a week is your interpretation of "play a lot of hands". ;)

jogs, on 2011-July-11, 07:32, said:

Analyze hands. Are players really capable of analyzing hands unemotionally? Online it's possible to view the action of the other tables.

Analyzing doesn't mean you just compare your result with another table. You can compare auctions, leads, lines of play, defense,... but in the end you don't know who you're comparing with (other tables may be world class or absolute novices). However, comparing may be useful to see what other people did with your cards, find some creative solution you didn't find at the table, learn how to deceive opponents,...

Using a DD analyzer helps a lot in determining how good or bad your (and opponents') play/defense was. Sometimes some card played at trick 2 or 3 can be a huge mistake, and the DD analyzer helps you understand why that silly card is important. This will help you in recognizing similar situations and think about a lot more than you're used to. DD solvers also help to see how high you could've bid, lets you visualize why, and may help in your future hand evaluation.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#33 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 18:54

The mind is not flexible. But if you have anything resembling an open mind, you will recognize the correct line when you see someone else succeed with it. Not necessary to know their level of expertise.

#34 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 18:56

jogs, on 2011-July-11, 18:54, said:

The mind is not flexible. But if you have anything resembling an open mind, you will recognize the correct line when you see someone else succeed with it. Not necessary to know their level of expertise.

A successful line is not always correct.
A correct line is not always successful.

#35 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-July-24, 01:05

:P 10,000 hours, and software plus playing on BBO is the most efficient way to get this experience. I have noticed that the ACBL tournament field has, over the past decade, bifurcated between BBO players and the also-rans.

#36 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-24, 02:22

matmat, on 2011-July-11, 18:56, said:

A successful line is not always correct.
A correct line is not always successful.

Turned into a philosopher?
I guess that is why you dropped so many of your interests :lol:.

#37 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-24, 10:23

hotShot, on 2011-July-24, 02:22, said:

Turned into a philosopher?

Actually, yes.

#38 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-24, 10:49

Vampyr, on 2011-July-05, 19:58, said:

Play rubber bridge for higher stakes than you can afford.

I have never understood this idea that somehow putting a lot of money on the line will make you learn more about bridge.

In my experience a top-level duplicate event normally has a much higher standard of play than a high-stakes rubber bridge game. Further, rubber bridge play is often "without significant partnership" which is a huge problem on defense and a subtle issue on declarer play (i.e. you will often not get best-defense because opponents don't have agreements). Finally, rubber bridge lacks the hand records and duplicate results which can be so useful in discussing hands afterwards, and it's also not likely that anyone else playing in the rubber bridge game will be eager to give you good advice/help you improve because that will hurt their own winnings.

If you're going to spend/lose large amounts of money, you'd be better off hiring a top-level professional.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#39 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-24, 10:57

awm, on 2011-July-24, 10:49, said:

I have never understood this idea that somehow putting a lot of money on the line will make you learn more about bridge.

In my experience a top-level duplicate event normally has a much higher standard of play than a high-stakes rubber bridge game. Further, rubber bridge play is often "without significant partnership" which is a huge problem on defense and a subtle issue on declarer play (i.e. you will often not get best-defense because opponents don't have agreements). Finally, rubber bridge lacks the hand records and duplicate results which can be so useful in discussing hands afterwards, and it's also not likely that anyone else playing in the rubber bridge game will be eager to give you good advice/help you improve because that will hurt their own winnings.

If you're going to spend/lose large amounts of money, you'd be better off hiring a top-level professional.

I would think that this has everything to do with motivation. I suspect that there are lots of people for who having $ on the line focuses their attention a little bit better. So while this does not necessarily improve their technique or bridge knowledge, it does foster a better attention span. (I could just be making this up)

#40 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-24, 13:23

awm, on 2011-July-24, 10:49, said:

It depends on your mindset, your wallet, and your long-term goals. If your objective is to become a really good card player, and having to play well and concentrate means not pulling some Benjamins (or Lincolns) out of your pocket after a session, then rubber bridge is a great way to improve.

If you are well off and losing a few hundred in an afternoon has no effect on your psyche, then rubber bridge will not be effective, or you need to play higher stakes, or not play rubber at all.

As far as hiring a top pro, if you have a legitimate goal of getting better, then that is a good option, but do not fall into the trap of thinking you are improving, just because you get good results playing with Mr. Pro.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users