Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C 12+hcp 3+C or Weak 2 in C suggested defence

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-19, 00:16

Can anyone suggest a viable defence for this opening bid which is part of an otherwise plain vanila SAYC system? My preliminary thoughts are that no special defence is required and just treat it as you would a natural 1 opening.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-19, 00:56

I suspect just treating it like a natural 1 initially is best. Some later bids (e.g. when they reveal the weak two) may need discussion.

I wonder whether you want to require ever so slightly more for an overcall so your auction can be a bit more constructive when they do have the weak two. Perhaps not, since when you're light, it's more likely declarer has a normal opener. Then again, partner will always have to cater to the light overcalls, not just when opener had a weak two, since you don't know yet. This would all be a very small change anyhow.

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 01:24

Hi,

I would say, that you should treat this the way you would treat a overcall in
a suit, i.e. natural.
The propability that they will have 4+ clubs for the 1C opening just increased,
so the only thing to reconsider would be, if playing 2C as natural is still sensible
(assuming you have agreed to play it over a standard 1C opening bid, an agreement
that may or may not be a good one.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-19, 05:23

Consider the suit natural and bid along. Strength doesn't really matter, you just have to trust yourself and partner to get an idea of how high you should bid.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-July-19, 06:42

Just treat it as natural clubs and overcall as you would normally do with the same cue raises etc. RHO having the weak option isn't our problem since we can solve our overcall strength with cue raises, but in fact it is LHO's huge problem since they would now need to deal with the possible weak option.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#6 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 07:03

View Postandy_h, on 2011-July-19, 06:42, said:

Just treat it as natural clubs and overcall as you would normally do with the same cue raises etc. RHO having the weak option isn't our problem since we can solve our overcall strength with cue raises, but in fact it is LHO's huge problem since they would now need to deal with the possible weak option.

Would it be worthwhile compounding LHO's potential problems by overcalling a bit more agressively?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-July-19, 08:11

View Postmrdct, on 2011-July-19, 07:03, said:

Would it be worthwhile compounding LHO's potential problems by overcalling a bit more agressively?

If you widen the strength of your overcalls, you also create problems for p,
of course if p is passed hand, ou can do it.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-19, 13:27

Yeah agree to tread this like a normal 1 opener. The opening looks like it gives the opening side more problems than overcaller side, so I'd say it's a bit pointless anyway... LOL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users