BBO Discussion Forums: Mechanical error on defence - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mechanical error on defence was TD correct?

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-11, 05:12

Just wonder if a TD could tell me the correct ruling here as there was a lot of discussion about this at the table. The contract was no-trumps. A club was led from dummy, declarer's LHO (West) already having shown out. Both RHO and declarer followed then West discarded the spade ace! She quickly realised her error and said "oops, I didn't mean to play that", and showed the 2 which she had intended to pull out, but the Director said the A had been played.

I thought if it was an error and the player realises without pause for thought (as was the case here - the player in question is very ethical) they are allowed to change the card. So I would have expected the 2 to be played and the A to become a major penalty card.

Certainly in the auction one is allowed to change their call (provided their partner hasn't called) but I guess it might be different during the play, particularly on defence. Could someone clarify?

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-11, 05:36

Yes the law is different for plays as compared to calls.

Law 45C1: A defender’s card held so that it is possible for his partner to see its face must be played to the current trick. if the defender has already made a legal play to the current trick, see Law 45E.

Law 45C4:
{a} A card must be played if a player names or otherwise designates it as the card he proposes to play.
{b} Until his partner has played a card, a player may change an unintended designation if he does so without pause for thought. If an opponent has, in turn, played a card that was legal before the change in designation, that opponent may withdraw the card so played, return it to his hand, and substitute another (see Laws 47D and 16D1).

This was a played card, not a designated one, so 45C1 applies.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-12, 02:51

:rolleyes:

Get whoever did it to write out 100 times

'I must pay attention to the Game'

B-)

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-13, 04:33

45C1 is the correct law here.

But it is worth recalling that a defender can be required to play a card that became exposed because they quite unintentionally dropped it. This only applies if the dropped card is an honour, but nonetheless it is apparent that defenders must be very careful not to expose cards they don't want to play. See L49 and L50.

#5 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-March-07, 18:46

A defender deliberately removing a card from his hand and making the face visible to partner results in the card being played.

A defender accidentally dropping a card or cards face up results in penalty card(s) - but no such card is played to the current trick.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users