Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dominion

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:09

I'm not a great player, but I enjoy it a lot, and I found out there is some overlap between Dominion and bridge players. Does anyone here like the game? We should play on isotropic sometime.

I play some other board games too, but Dominion is my current favorite right now.

Edit: Isotropic link: http://dominion.isotropic.org/

This is a really great implementation of the game. It takes all the bad parts about dominion (shuffling, counting, etc) and automates them. Also, you don't even have to register.

#2 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:10

I've played a few times with my roommate and some friends. I don't even think I've come close to winning, but I enjoy it.
OK
bed

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:52

I won a tourney on May, I've spent many hours just thinking how cards do combine with each other and I enjoy it a lot. Got only 2 expansions (Terramar and Intrigue), Intrigue is very bad with overpowered cards, and the worst of all, many combos let you draw all your deck each turn Making the game very long and boring. On the other hand Terramar is fantastic, the orange cards don't overpower anything, they just balance your luck.

The easy tip for starters is buy more silvers, silvers are often the best $3 card avaible, and often better than most $4 in the middle-late game.

#4 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-04, 14:07

Disagree, to me by far the worst set is actually the base set. It contains many cards that are simply not well thought out (bureaucrat/chancellor/mine/moat/woodcutter/thief/adventurer) relative to the rest. This is understandable, as in the beginning it was difficult to see how far the game could go. Even Alchemy is a stronger set to me (for online play, in person Alchemy can slow down the game way too much).

You say the Intrigue cards are more powerful in general like that is a bad thing, it's the way the game should be played. The base game gets boring after awhile mostly because thoughtless treasure based decks were way too powerful.

Of course it is good to start with the base set, though. It is the least complicated by far, and trying to introduce someone to Dominion by even playing Intrigue is probably not a good idea.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-04, 15:15

I've enjoyed Dominion as well. I think it's very interesting, but am sure I don't understand the strategy. Several of my friends play a lot and are on another level from me.

Personally, I'm very into the game "Power Grid" right now. Easily my favorite board game (passing Ticket to Ride and Settlers--two great games in their own right).
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-June-04, 19:43

Roger I advice you to take a try on burocrat, it really won me that tourney, and its my favourite card, destroying cupper a the cost of 1 action, but with the same buying potential of having a silver in your hand (2 for the silver 1 for the cupper you destroy). Its a only 1 card in deck card, but extremelly powerful.

Other than that I agree with you on that the basic has many useless cards, but useless cads doesn't make the game boring, overpowered cards such as nobles, conspirator, swindler and tribute (steward and pawn also when combined with the former) make the game very long and don't add any strategy to the game. Perhaps they aren't overpowered, but they combo with each other incredibly well. Playing only with Intrigue its very boring. Not to mention how boring it is when 3-4 players buy saboteurs. Its really crazy game lasting hours and ending with 14 VPs.

With intrigue it is all about getting as much action cards as you can and play them all. And every pack has useless cards like tradding post, upgrade, minion, wishing well, and the secret chamber ain't very good either.

EDIT: I misstranslated burocrat with another one called "prestamista" in spannish sorry. Burocrat is an ok card anyway but not as good.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-June-06, 16:23

Damn clee, now I am adicted to online play, hate you :P

#8 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-06, 17:30

I can't believe you just called minion useless.

I also have to admit that I don't see why any of the cards you mentioned are overpowered. I can imagine plenty of boards where I would not buy any of those cards if they were available.

But anyway, we'll just have to get a game in sometime.

PS. The card you were thinking of instead of bureaucrat is "moneylender" in the english version.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-June-07, 01:09

I Think the problem is that you haven't played intrigue only decks while I have done a lot, intrigue only decks with pawn, steward, nobles, conspirator and tribute let you draw your entire deck all turns. With 3 of them combined it is also easy to do so. This is extremelly boring in a 3 player f2f game.

I just found that minion is very good with cards that give you actions but don't hive you cards, using those cards and then the minion to draw another hand. Its just that Intrigue doens't have those cards. Very similar to Library.

My name is Fluffy!, see you there.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-June-07, 02:07

cherdano and rlee2 begin a game.

damnit! invite me

#11 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-27, 15:45

Yes, it is a great game. although it is quite luck based, but eventually it evens out.

Just like bridge it needs some math, memory, imagination plus you don't need partner.

My nickname is Latvia.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-27, 16:34

It seems to me that the base set is a bit boring since there are just too many boards where silver+chapel+trash all coppers/estates whenever you can is the only reasonable strategy.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-June-28, 19:15

chappel is overpowered :). But so is some cards like tournament, mounteback, goons etc.

There are perhaps more useless cards in base set like adventurer, chancellor, woodcutter and to a less extent mine and moat. But that's just because it was the base set before they got well balanced.

Cards like market, laboratoy, village, witch, they are pretty standard decent cards, and the base upon wich the rest of witches, villages and 5 level +card +action cards were made.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users