Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Great Magazine Articles

#1 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-01, 11:19

I've stolen this from another forum, but there are some great things here that I think many of you would enjoy.

Washington Post - Pearls Before Breakfast
One of the most famous and interesting magazine articles of the last decade, the Post put one of the world's greatest violinists, equipped with a multimillion-dollar Stradivarius, in a metro station during rush hour. If he played it for spare change, incognito, would anyone notice?

New Yorker - The Apostate
Don't be intimidated by how (ridiculously) long this new article is, it's great and describes not only the insane beliefs of the cult of Scientology but also the physical abuse, bigotry, child-labour, prisons and other insanity. Crazy, crazy stuff. I knew more than a bit about Scientology before, but a lot of the stuff in here really surprised me.

The New Yorker- The Mark of a Masterpiece
Essay about people using crime scene-esque technology to figure out the source of unknown paintings, ends up being a fantastic read.

Art of the Steal: On the trail of the world's most ingenious thief
"Gerald Blanchard could hack any bank, swipe any jewel. There was no security system he couldn't beat."

The Return of Superfly
"Frank Lucas, once the city's biggest, baddest heroin kingpin, the original O.G. in chinchilla, now seems like just a very likable guy. But don't be fooled."

The Falling Man
"In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow." Amazing 9/11 article.

How Companies and Brands get named
Hilarious article.

DFW Essays:
NYTMag - Federer as Religious Experience
The Atlantic - Host
Gourmet - Consider the Lobster

Share more :)
OK
bed

#2 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 11:38

From the How Companies and Brands Get Named article:
Spoiler

OK
bed

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 12:30

That's a brilliant quote, and I very much enjoyed the New Yorker and Washington Post articles when they first came out--the others look great, I'm looking forward to reading them.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 19:14

From The Return of Superfly by Mark Jacobson:

Back in the early seventies, there were many "brands" of dope in Harlem. Tru Blu, Mean Machine, Could Be Fatal, Dick Down, Boody, Cooley High, Capone, Ding Dong, ***** Me, ***** You, Nice, Nice to Be Nice, Oh -- Can't Get Enough of That Funky Stuff, Tragic Magic, Gerber, The Judge, 32, 32-20, O.D., Correct, Official Correct, Past Due, Payback, Revenge, Green Tape, Red Tape, Rush, Swear to God, PraisePraisePraise, KillKillKill, Killer 1, Killer 2, KKK, Good Pussy, Taster's Choice, Harlem Hijack, Joint, Insured for Life, and Insured for Death were only a few of the brand names rubber-stamped onto cellophane bags. But none sold like Frank Lucas's Blue Magic.

What's Gerber doing in there?

The guy writes colorfully. Enjoyed that story. The Federer story was pretty good. Hard to believe that was almost 5 years ago. I think that Pearls Before Breakfast story was discussed in the WC.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-04, 12:24

I assume this has been discussed in the WC also, but in case it hasn't, I strongly recommend this story about autistic piano savant Derek Paravicini. Sorry it's not a magazine article, but it's great nonetheless. If you missed the 60 Minutes interview, I strongly recommend doing a little work on Google and finding it.

Some Rolling Stone (Probably NSFW language/drug use):
The Airplane Thief
The Stoner Arms Dealers: How Two American Kids Became Big-Time Weapons Traders

The Secret Sharer - The New Yorker
The story of whistle blower facing 35 years for bringing attention to waste and potentially illegal activity within the NSA.

The other document, which touted the success of Turbulence, was officially declassified in July, 2010, three months after Drake was indicted. “After charging him with having this ostensibly serious classified document, the government waved a wand and decided it wasn’t so classified after all,”

OK
bed

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-June-04, 14:28

I'm through the art authentication piece and the branding article. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-05, 10:21

I wouldn't call this a great article. And it's not a magazine article if that matters to you. But it's definitely a good story about an amazing athlete which I am posting mainly for the reading pleasure of boxing fans, health nuts and west coast LSAT tutors who may not have seen it in the Times.

Posted Image
Christinne Muschi/Reuters

Bernard Hopkins, 46, became the oldest fighter to capture a significant belt when he defeated Jean Pascal last month.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 16:51

Not sure what's taken me so long to finally read it, but I made it through Talese's Frank Sinatra has a Cold, Esquire April 1966. I guess it's a pretty highly celebrated article.

Working on some Hunter S Thompson now.
OK
bed

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-08, 05:26

View Posty66, on 2011-June-03, 19:14, said:

What's Gerber doing in there?

Dunno, but I guess it explains some of the Gerber bids I've seen over the years....

#10 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-19, 07:05

Looking Back, Gates Says He’s Grown Wary of ‘Wars of Choice’

#11 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-19, 07:12

The Checklist

If something so simple can transform intensive care, what else can it do?
by Atul Gawande

Posted Image

If a new drug were as effective at saving lives as Peter Pronovost’s checklist, there would be a nationwide marketing campaign urging doctors to use it.

Just finished reading the book after seeing barmar's post last week. Highly recommend this.

#12 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-19, 07:50

Related story to the one above.

How American Health Care Killed My Father

After the needless death of his father, the author, a business executive, began a personal exploration of a health-care industry that for years has delivered poor service and irregular quality at astonishingly high cost. It is a system, he argues, that is not worth preserving in anything like its current form. And the health-care reform now being contemplated will not fix it. Here’s a radical solution to an agonizing problem.

By DAVID GOLDHILL

Indeed, I suspect that our collective search for villains—for someone to blame—has distracted us and our political leaders from addressing the fundamental causes of our nation’s health-care crisis. All of the actors in health care—from doctors to insurers to pharmaceutical companies—work in a heavily regulated, massively subsidized industry full of structural distortions. They all want to serve patients well. But they also all behave rationally in response to the economic incentives those distortions create. Accidentally, but relentlessly, America has built a health-care system with incentives that inexorably generate terrible and perverse results. Incentives that emphasize health care over any other aspect of health and well-being. That emphasize treatment over prevention. That disguise true costs. That favor complexity, and discourage transparent competition based on price or quality. That result in a generational pyramid scheme rather than sustainable financing. And that—most important—remove consumers from our irreplaceable role as the ultimate ensurer of value.

These are the impersonal forces, I’ve come to believe, that explain why things have gone so badly wrong in health care, producing the national dilemma of runaway costs and poorly covered millions. The problems I’ve explored in the past year hardly count as breakthrough discoveries—health-care experts undoubtedly view all of them as old news. But some experts, it seems, have come to see many of these problems as inevitable in any health-care system—as conditions to be patched up, papered over, or worked around, but not problems to be solved.

#13 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-21, 10:44

This is a nice, quick read. Really enjoyed this article.

Three-Man Weave
"There are underdog stories...and there's what happened in North Dakota in 1988"
OK
bed

#14 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 19:18

One more then I'll stop bumping this thread:

New Yorker - Trial by Fire
A story of a man convicted of killing his three children via arson. It may have been discussed in another thread about the death penalty, but it's a fascinating read.
OK
bed

#15 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 19:23

View Postjjbrr, on 2011-June-24, 19:18, said:

One more then I'll stop bumping this thread:

New Yorker - Trial by Fire
A story of a man convicted of killing his three children via arson. It may have been discussed in another thread about the death penalty, but it's a fascinating read.

This was a very interesting read. Not the least of which because Gov. Perry didn't pardon him or commute his death sentence to life in prison while people investigated further.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#16 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 20:13

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-June-24, 19:23, said:

This was a very interesting read. Not the least of which because Gov. Perry didn't pardon him or commute his death sentence to life in prison while people investigated further.

It really is amazing how his final appeals were handled (or not handled).
OK
bed

#17 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:26

New Yorker - The Most Exclusive Restaurant in America
What a character.
OK
bed

#18 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:29

View Postjjbrr, on 2016-August-25, 12:26, said:

I read this too, but other than the seemingly phony 10 year waitlist, is he really a fraud?

LOL at the foodie establishment licking this guy's boots.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#19 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2016-August-25, 13:01

And I thought we were getting rough treatment with the 3-5 hour waits at Din Tai Fung.....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users