BBO Discussion Forums: More UI - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More UI

Poll: Favourable Sacrifice (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you allow 4[Sp]?

1. Yes (10 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. No (22 votes [68.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-May-25, 10:04

MPs - Weak field

South is one of the better players in the field. East is stronger. North and west around average - west being less experienced.

Written bidding - which means that bids are written on a pad in the centre of the table.

North leans forward and puts his pen on the bidding pad to write a bid (or pass or double) then has a second thought and looks back at his hand then leans forward againg and passes.

The break in tempo was only a few seconds but nevertheless an unmistakable break from a normal tempo.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-May-25, 10:24

I voted no but now I'm not so sure. Even if partner is not helpful 800 seems out of the question so 4 looks normal. I think I allow it to stand, I wish I could take my vote back.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 10:51

And how does North looking back at his hand to make sure of his choice suggest one action or the other to South? How do we know a second thought was involved? If he actually started to write something, and changed it --maybe we would have an issue. This is not a case where we just accept the OP statement about the second thought, unless the poster was North.

It seems with written bids and calls, this would happen a lot, since closing up the cards to write something down would be common; and opening them up to double-check would be common.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-May-25, 10:58

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-May-25, 10:59

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-25, 10:51, said:

And how does North looking back at his hand to make sure of his choice suggest one action or the other to South?

It communicates the fact that partner does not have an clear pass over 4, he has some values. This would suggest taking further action over passing.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-25, 11:30

If, and this is a big IF, I have UI --it is that partner is now sure he wants to pass. The break in tempo would suggest NOT bidding 4S. Of course North does not have "values". If contemplating anything at all, it is more likely he is thinking to double so that I will stop bidding those damn spades ---making 4S the LA least suggested.

But, note from the part you didn't quote; I don't agree that what happened creates usable UI at all.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-May-25, 11:45

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-25, 11:30, said:

If, and this is a big IF, I have UI --it is that partner is now sure he wants to pass. The break in tempo would suggest NOT bidding 4S. Of course North does not have "values". If contemplating anything at all, it is more likely he is thinking to double so that I will stop bidding those damn spades ---making 4S the LA least suggested.

But, note from the part you didn't quote; I don't agree that what happened creates usable UI at all.

I think the UI (if it exists) suggests partner is not sure of his pass. Partner does not have hearts. Why are you sure he does not have values, doesn't the bit suggest that he does?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 12:13

I would allow 4, white against red this seems the only logical choice.

If partner intended to dbl 4, that would imply that there is a chance that 4 will go down.
This would make the 4 a mistake, as you will go down while opps won't make their game.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-25, 12:55

View Postjillybean, on 2011-May-25, 11:45, said:

Partner does not have hearts. Why are you sure he does not have values, doesn't the bit suggest that he does?

Maybe his passes suggested not having values. And, for the third time: no, the B.I.T. as described doesn't suggest anything.

#9 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 13:50

Definitely allow 4.

3 is already an overstatement of the hand's defensive strength so if partner cannot double 4 you have a very obvious sacrifice at matchpoints. Therefore pass is not a logical alternative. Also, the slow pass doesn't suggest bidding over passing.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 15:03

I selected "yes" for the poll, even though that answer is incorrect.

What I would do is tell the players to play the hand, and then after the play is over I would tell them the result stands. The conclusion one who does not know the laws would draw from the poll's "no" answer is probably that in that case the TD should cancel 4, and direct South to pass, so that they play the hand in 4 by East, which is of course incorrect.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-25, 15:35

I voted yes.

The worse partner is the more I want to bid 4S.

So 'hesitates shows values' doesn't make it easier for me to bid on.

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-May-25, 15:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-25, 12:55, said:

And, for the third time: no, the B.I.T. as described doesn't suggest anything.

You can repeat it as often as you like, but that won't make it any more correct. Come on, the guy passed a 1 opening, do you really think he suddenly has a penalty double in his hand? No, the only thing he might have been thinking about is bidding 4.

I think 3 already showed all of South's values - perhaps even more as even 2 in that position tends to show some extras, thus pass is a LA, bridge being, after all, a partnership game.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-May-25, 17:52

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-May-25, 15:35, said:

I voted yes.

The worse partner is the more I want to bid 4S.

So 'hesitates shows values' doesn't make it easier for me to bid on.

I don't think this reasoning is correct.

In a sacrifice situation hestitates and passes doesn't necessarily show values it just shows a desire to take some other action - maybe a sacrifice with no values.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-May-25, 18:26

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-25, 15:58, said:

... the guy passed a 1 opening, do you really think he suddenly has a penalty double in his hand? No, the only thing he might have been thinking about is bidding 4. I think 3 already showed all of South's values - perhaps even more as even 2 in that position tends to show some extras, thus pass is a LA, bridge being, after all, a partnership game.
Agree with Mgoetze. A hesitation by a very weak hand is more likely to suggest a sacrifice than a penalty.

#15 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 19:55

North's BIT means that he was thinking about doing something other than pass. This could only be double or 4.

We probably need to know a little bit more about North's bidding style. Would North routinely raise 1 with 3-card support and a 3 or 4 count?

It's kind of hard to think of too many hands that North could hold which would be thinking about penalising 4 but couldn't find a bid over 1. On that basis, I think the BIT likely suggests a really weak hand with 3-card or perhaps 10x which certainly makes 4 attractive by South. I think pass is a logical alternative for South at matchpoints as there are decent chances of beating 4 if partner just has one of the K or A.

I don't allow 4.

South perhaps dug his own grave by not bidding 4 the previosu round.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#16 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 20:03

View PostCascade, on 2011-May-25, 10:04, said:

MPs - Weak field

South is one of the better players in the field. East is stronger. North and west around average - west being less experienced.

Written bidding - which means that bids are written on a pad in the centre of the table.

North leans forward and puts his pen on the bidding pad to write a bid (or pass or double) then has a second thought and looks back at his hand then leans forward againg and passes.

The break in tempo was only a few seconds but nevertheless an unmistakable break from a normal tempo.

I know if I were S I would hold another two tricks for 3S, if for no other reason that he could be quite broke indeed and it just would not do to encourage partner into a minus position that he would expect to be plus. Yet I do not know the systems upon which this bidding was based so I also am not in a position to judge the values the other three would [or might] have for their actions, including the mannerisms of N after 4H.

#17 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 20:11

Because we must resolve it somehow, we resolve the "slow limit raise" case by saying that a slow action "demonstrably suggests" that partner should bid on with a hand that might pass an in-tempo limit raise (and therefore that when he does bid on, we will adjust the score if his efforts prove successful).

There is no particularly logical reason for this: of course, a hand that raises 1NT slowly to 2NT might "equiprobably" have a 1.5NT bid or a 2.5NT bid; so one could take the view that nothing is "demonstrably suggested" by the raiser's tempo, and the opener can do what he likes.

But we are cynics, or skeptics, or both, and in extended observation of the ways and works of Man from the Four-Mile Radius roughly to the Plains of Hindustan, we note that in the vast majority of cases when some fellow does something in a fashion that suggests he might have done something else, he is hoping that partner and not he will make the final decision for his side.

We extend this to the general principle that any slow action "demonstrably suggests" that partner should not pass. When, therefore, partner does not pass and this turns out to be the winner, we are (or should be) inclined to rule against that action unless the non-pass was obvious.

For what it's worth, I would not bid 4 for all the tea in China. When I used to do this, partner always had something like xx xx Qxxxx Q10xx. Their spades were invariably 2-2 and they could make 3 only with some effort; 4 had no chance whatsoever, while 4 was minus 300 in aces and kings.

But of course when partner passes 4 slowly, he doesn't have this hand. Therefore...
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-26, 03:06

View Postmrdct, on 2011-May-25, 19:55, said:

North's BIT means that he was thinking about doing something other than pass. This could only be double or 4.

We probably need to know a little bit more about North's bidding style. Would North routinely raise 1 with 3-card support and a 3 or 4 count?

It's kind of hard to think of too many hands that North could hold which would be thinking about penalising 4 but couldn't find a bid over 1. On that basis, I think the BIT likely suggests a really weak hand with 3-card or perhaps 10x which certainly makes 4 attractive by South. I think pass is a logical alternative for South at matchpoints as there are decent chances of beating 4 if partner just has one of the K or A.

I don't allow 4.

South perhaps dug his own grave by not bidding 4 the previosu round.

Completely disagree with this. Most of the time, I have 7 tricks in 4 so it's cheaper than 4 making at this vul. Is 4 making, you'd be unlucky if it wasn't, but that is possible and also depends how little is required by the partnership to dredge up a response. The reason for not bidding 4 last time is that if hearts are 2-2, there must be a decent chance of the bidding dying in 3-2 or 3x-1 vs -140, so at least have a go at finishing there. I think that since you protect on some pretty weak hands, the 4 bidder has an opening hand to bid this at red and the only reason for this auction is that he has too many spades to X, a 3352 14 count with 5 bad diamonds would not be atypical.

If I had a singleton heart, I think I could bid 4 with impunity as now partner can have say QJ109 and be thinking about doubling. As it is, he only has 3 so this is difficult to envisage (although if I had a void in spades opposite I might think about doubling to prevent partner doing something stupid, although I might then realise that thinking then passing might dissuade an ethical partner from bidding 4 on hands that should, so I might feel forced to X).

With the hand DBurn gave opposite, I think I'd X 4. I've overstated my hand with the jump to 3 and if I had the 2 minor suit Qs opposite I'd certainly expect to beat 4 or be getting a horrible result anyway if I didn't. Partner is more likely to have 18 or 19 points than 13 the way I think.

#19 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2011-May-26, 05:15

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-May-26, 03:06, said:

With the hand DBurn gave opposite [♠xx ♥xx ♦Qxxxx ♣Q10xx], I think I'd X 4.

Really? I think that double would get 0 votes in any poll. And yes, I would disallow 4S, and impose a PP for the bid.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#20 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-26, 11:55

I am not sure what is meant by "allowing" 4.

I would think that the rules of bridge require that the hand be played at 4 and then an adjustement be made if appropriate. It seems to me that if partner has a random pointless holding with as few as 2 , the most you figure to lose is 6 tricks for -500 if doubled. Whatever the slow pass means. If you are getting that result, 4 is certainly on for EW. I will not dispute that there is UI, but is pass really a LA?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users