• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU system licensing Trying to get a feel why the change

#21 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-May-25, 09:04

There are often ways to get around regulations. In general in England we tend to allow commonsense to operate and if a player tries too hard we rule against him when it is clear that his ideas are against the spirit of the regulation even if he has found some loophole.

One solution suggested is to tighten up every bit of wording by putting everything intended in detail and quadrupling the length of the Orange book. While I have been editor, every Orange book I have ever produced has been criticised for two reasons:

• too long, and
  • not enough detail

:ph34r:

The EBU has not "licensed" conventions since about 1995. They have not regulated systems since about 1989. So the term "EBU system licensing" seems curiously inappropriate.

Why has my spellchekka gone mad?

One solution suggested is to tighten up every bit of wording by puttineverythingng intended idetailla nd quadrupling tlengthth of tOrangege book. While i have beeeditoror, every Orange book i have ever produced has been criticised for two reasons:

The EBU has not "licensed" sconventionscnventions since about 1995. They have not regulated systems since about 1989. So the term "EBU system licensing" seems curiously inappropriate.

It has got worse. When I am editing a reply, if I want to see the whole thread I click on the link offering this. In the past that left the editing screen unchanged and produces the full thread separately. Now it gets rid of the reply I have carefully written. Suggestions?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#22 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-25, 09:27

View Postbluejak, on 2011-May-25, 09:04, said:

It has got worse. When I am editing a reply, if I want to see the whole thread I click on the link offering this. In the past that left the editing screen unchanged and produces the full thread separately. Now it gets rid of the reply I have carefully written. Suggestions?

Are you using a laptop with a touchpad?

A while back my touchpad proved too sensitive that in an act of infuriation I disabled it altogether. This has 'gotten rid of' the sudden disappearance of prose and its rearrangement at awkward times and in awkward ways. More recently my mouse has gone all out of adjustment with the effect of initiating commands like closing windows, not highlighting text and highlighting unwanted text...so on and....

I haven't figured out a work around on the mouse, at least I can't get the settings right. I might think that some of your drivers have been altered or are corrupted for I/O devices.

Another possibility is that your spellchk program version is incompatible with the version of program it is interacting with. what i usually do is to write messages in my word processor and cut and paste them [after spellchk <grrrrr>]

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-25, 10:16

View Postbluejak, on 2011-May-25, 09:04, said:

In general in England we tend to allow commonsense to operate and if a player tries too hard we rule against him when it is clear that his ideas are against the spirit of the regulation even if he has found some loophole.

I will save this quote for the next time someone tells me that such and such is the letter of the Law, and if I don't like it I should I should try to get it changed.

After all, who am I to judge the "spirit" of regulations? I need to be able to reference someone who can, and who has common sense that I lack.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users