BBO Discussion Forums: Lebensohl negative and penalty doubles - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lebensohl negative and penalty doubles

#1 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:36

I held this uninteresting hand at the club tonight, 87,KT98,Q83,QJ98

Partner opens 1N and RHO makes a 2 (spades) bid.

After 1nt interference we play penalty doubles at the 2level, negative doubles at the 3level so holding this
hand I have to pass. :angry: I hate that, partner doesn't know if I have 0 or 9 HCP.

I am wondering is there any advantage in playing negative/penalty doubles here dependant on vulnerability?
What I was thinking was vs. V 2 level doubles could be negative, vs. NV 2 level doubles could be penalty.

Or is there a better method?

Thanks, in advance.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:42

I don't really see why it would depend on vulnerability.

There are definitely advantages to play negative doubles in this auction. The problem (over 2 overcall especially) is that you can't really rely on partner to balance so you will miss some penalties. But when you have a hand like yours (which is somewhat more common than the penalty double hand) a takeout double is a big advantage. I've played both styles and don't find one to be "clearly" better than the other in the long run.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:50

awm, on 2011-April-27, 23:42, said:

I don't really see why it would depend on vulnerability.

I am told one of the reasons for playing penalty doubles at the 2level is to punish the opps who get into the auction on thin air.
My thinking is they are more likely to do this when NV than V so we would want to retain the penalty double here and use the negative double to compete when they have made a vulnerable overcall.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:59

It may depend partly on whether you want to play a system that varies according to your perception of the skill of your opponents, with a view to bashing the bunnies with the maximum clout.
Personally I cannot cope with the brain overload that this entails, and I would rather play a system which is optimised against the best opponents (who will themselves consider vulnerability when choosing their overcalls), and trust that I will beat the bunnies anyway using that method even though I might have thrashed them by a greater margin using a different style.

Anyway, I am firmly in the take-out camp. To my mind the most difficult question that arises from this method is the circumstances when opener might sit for the double, especially at IMP when they are doubled into game. This in turn may depend on what minimum values you require for the take-out double. If you (say) pass on a 1-4-4-4 six-count you will miss some partscore battles but you really don't want opener passing a double. On the other hand, a 2-4-3-4 nine-count and you are more relaxed if partner is sitting there with four Spades and nowhere attractive to run.

You may want to vary the strength of the double according to how many bids opener has available at the 2-level. After a 2S overcall you may want to keep the call up to strength. But that may be outside the scope of the OP question.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-28, 11:16

jillybean, on 2011-April-27, 23:36, said:

I held this uninteresting hand at the club tonight, 87,KT98,Q83,QJ98

Partner opens 1N and RHO makes a 2 (spades) bid.

After 1nt interference we play penalty doubles at the 2level, negative doubles at the 3level so holding this
hand I have to pass. :angry: I hate that, partner doesn't know if I have 0 or 9 HCP.

I am wondering is there any advantage in playing negative/penalty doubles here dependant on vulnerability?
What I was thinking was vs. V 2 level doubles could be negative, vs. NV 2 level doubles could be penalty.

Or is there a better method?

Thanks, in advance.

I would say, it is not so important what you play here... sometimes one is good, sometimes the other..

More important is, that indeed you have agreements on it.

Personally I like to have a penalty double availble here...If not, and opps know, they will fool you around......

Bob Herreman

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-28, 11:41

Lurpoa, on 2011-April-28, 11:16, said:

Personally I like to have a penalty double availble here...If not, and opps know, they will fool you around......

Well, I have no particular desire to dissuade you from that view, but personally, if I know that may opponents are playing penalty doubles I would be more inclined to "fool around". This is because of my belief, which I accept may be unfounded, that penalty doubles here are inferior; but in that context I would want to increase the frequency with which I place my opponents in the position of having to employ their (to my mind) inferior methods. In other words I hope to gain more by reason of their having a problem on the more frequent occasions in which they would want to make a takeout double, but cannot do so for lack of system, then I expect to lose when they catch me with a double. Perhaps this philosophy is more relevant at MP scoring.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-April-28, 20:47

I am told one of the reasons for playing penalty doubles at the 2level is to punish the opps who get into the auction on thin air.
My thinking is they are more likely to do this when NV than V so we would want to retain the penalty double here and use the negative double to compete when they have made a vulnerable overcall.

...but turning +50 into +100 isnt what gets you rich (well, sometimes your side makes exactly 90); turning +100 into +200 does, anytime you don't have a game-going hand; if I had to play penalty only half the time I'd play it when they are vulnerable (at matchpoints.)

I personally prefer to play it penalty all the time. I know the folk on the forum who spend all day playing expert-level opps say that there aren't many penalties to be had; at the club level there are.

But when you have a hand like yours (which is somewhat more common than the penalty double hand) a takeout double is a big advantage

IMO the "hand like yours" - strong enough to want to compete, short in their suit, AND has no bid - is a very rare one (the posted example, and its slightly weaker cousins) is a great deal *less* common than the penalty double hands (which can include a wide array of balanced 6-8 counts as well as a bunch of game-strength hands that have the opps' suit covered.)

On the actual posted hand, with 8HCP and the -98 sequences, I probably would have stretched to bid 3S, rather than settled for pass.

#8 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-28, 22:37

1eyedjack, on 2011-April-28, 11:41, said:

Well, I have no particular desire to dissuade you from that view, but personally, if I know that may opponents are playing penalty doubles I would be more inclined to "fool around". This is because of my belief, which I accept may be unfounded, that penalty doubles here are inferior; but in that context I would want to increase the frequency with which I place my opponents in the position of having to employ their (to my mind) inferior methods. In other words I hope to gain more by reason of their having a problem on the more frequent occasions in which they would want to make a takeout double, but cannot do so for lack of system, then I expect to lose when they catch me with a double. Perhaps this philosophy is more relevant at MP scoring.

yes, I have to say, that i am always reasoning in a IMP context.

Bob Herreman

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-28, 23:04

Takeout doubles work for me.

I don't think I have a selective memory but for me penalty opportunities don't seem to come around often enough that I miss them.

In fact I have one partner who insists on penalty doubles and I can certainly recall several times where I wished he didn't have a penalty double available - part-scores making, down one when we had game somewhere else etc
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-29, 01:44

Big fan of t/o Xs here

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-April-29, 01:55

Imo takeout doubles are much better than penalty doubles. You play them after 1-(2), so why not after 1NT-(2)?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-29, 07:52

I also much prefer takeout doubles here.

Your thinking (penalty doubles comes up more often when they are NV than when they are V) is good, but (1) I think that takeout doubles is always better, and (2) there are a lot of different auctions, I prefer not to let the meaning of my bids depend on the vulnerability. Don't change the agreements, but take the vulnerability into account when you pick your bid.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-April-29, 08:10

Thanks all. I like takeout doubles too, however "standard" around here is penalty at the 2 level, takeout at the 3 level. I'll have to talk with my partners some more and start tracking a few hands.
(still learning)

#14 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-April-29, 09:44

btw, here is the hand that sparked the question. I'm South and had forgotten we had changed 2level doubles to penalty.

(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users