#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-16, 12:23

Any one else as excited about this as I am?

Between

The Killing
Game of Thrones
Community
Parks and Recreation

There may actually be hope for TV...
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-April-16, 12:37

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-April-16, 12:23, said:

Any one else as excited about this as I am?

Between

The Killing
Game of Thrones
Community
Parks and Recreation

There may actually be hope for TV...

My youngest son subscribed to HBO just because Game of Thrones will be on. My eldest texted me last night to remind me not to miss it.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-April-18, 03:58

i thought they did a good job... i hope it lives up to the hype, i've been looking forward to it
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-April-18, 04:26

I stopped reading at the beginning of the third book, couldn't stand anymore that the politics and traitors would always win and survive while the noble soldiers would keep dieing.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-April-18, 06:19

"When you play the game of thrones, you win, or you die. There is no middle ground." -- Cersei Lannister
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-18, 06:25

View PostFluffy, on 2011-April-18, 04:26, said:

I stopped reading at the beginning of the third book, couldn't stand anymore that the politics and traitors would always win and survive while the noble soldiers would keep dieing.

I had a somewhat different interpretation of events:

1. "Practical" trumps "noble"
2. "Luck" is a fickle mistress

I don't think that the traitors always won.
They certainly don't always prosper.

However, doing something stupid is very likely to get you killed.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-April-18, 07:35

yeah I agree this is what happens on real life, but I read fiction to dream of another world, not the ***** of this one

EDIT: Now that I remember, there are some characters that you know they have to die because of how the plot goes, but the way they die is completelly artificial, for example I remember the main character of the first book, (Stark?) he does something so stupid that could be considered suicide, and he is suposed to be smart. It made no sense to me, if you need the plot to kill someone, at least you should pay more attention to how you kill a main character.

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-18, 08:09

Man, am I out of it. I didn't know it was a book and lacking this thread I would not have known it was a series. But I taped it last night and I will give it a try. Fluffy's comments give me pause. I can handle gritty, or I guess I can, but more than just sometimes I decide they can sling the grit without me. I'll give it a try though.
Ken

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-18, 08:51

View Postkenberg, on 2011-April-18, 08:09, said:

Man, am I out of it. I didn't know it was a book and lacking this thread I would not have known it was a series. But I taped it last night and I will give it a try. Fluffy's comments give me pause. I can handle gritty, or I guess I can, but more than just sometimes I decide they can sling the grit without me. I'll give it a try though.

I had the chance to see the first episode of the series...

I thought that it was pretty good, however, as of yet it isn't as strong as the novel.

Admittedly, I thought that the novels were extremely strong.
They stood head and shoulders above most of the fantasy coming out at that time.

The series is good enough and there is a good crop of actors. However, it has a tough row to hoe...
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-April-18, 13:02

Hollywood rarely does as well as the books they base movies or TV series on. Still, the series may turn out to be pretty good.

A Dance With Dragons is due out July 12th, according to G.R.R. Martin's web site.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-April-18, 14:51

I am boycotting his stuff till he finishes the series. A heart can only take so many delays!

I don't think Martin knows how to end the series. He's added too much stuff.
Also, HBO has a terrible record at adaptation - look at the recent Tudor one. Lots of naked bodies injected to spice up the series, a great story to work with, but they have so many blatant historical inaccuracies. Makes me think they will destroy the song of ice and fire series too.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#12 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-April-18, 15:51

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-April-18, 08:51, said:

The series is good enough and the actors seem pretty strong. However, it has a tough row to hoe...

this is true of most any classic (and i consider this to be classic scifi/fantasy) novel... i liked it, but if i remember correctly the opening scene won't be fully explained until the 4th book or so
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-23, 05:31

Interesting that Hrothgar ranks Parks and Recreation up there. Not seen any of it yet and may have a go based on this. Wiki says that it received mixed reviews and was a spin-off from NBC's hit show "the Office". The original "Office" was a UK production featuring Ricky Gervais which I though at the time was really good, but when they announced that it was being sold over the pond I wondered whether it would really suit the sense of humour over there (most UK hit comedies flop in USA).

Anyway, someone has just introduced to me to Boardwalk Empire, which I am really getting into and am pleased to see that a second season is coming out this autumn.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-27, 21:58

Haven't been to BBOF in a long time, didn't see you had a thread about this!

I made Adam get HBO for this series. I've been enjoying it so far, but I have been concerned about some of the changes. Like they seem to be trying to make Cat less hateful.

Fluffy, two of the "bad" guys gets theirs in the third book.

Also, he actually finished! Looks like GRRM might make that July 12 date! Yeay! I just hope that he stays ahead of the series. And that there will be enough of a series for him to stay ahead of.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:29

Elianna, I haven't read the books, so this is from a "virgin" standpoint with the series. I think Cat is a horrible person, the way she treated John Snow really drove it home. Loving the series fwiw

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:36

I never read the books and had no idea about the series.

I found the first episode disappointing.

I found the second episode almost unwatchable.

1) Young child on death bed watch for most of second episode
2) Another young child is slaughtered like a side a beef, thrown over a horse.
3) Finally to end the second episode a beloved and loyal pet is murdered by I think one of the good guys(father).

If I understand the premise these kingdoms have been around 8,000 years with no progress beyond the "dark ages".

Throw in a bunch of naked women being raped by random guys.

#17 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-27, 23:45

View Postmike777, on 2011-April-27, 23:36, said:

I never read the books and had no idea about the series.

I found the first episode disappointing.

I found the second episode almost unwatchable.

1) Young child on death bed watch for most of second episode
2) Another young child is slaughtered like a side a beef, thrown over a horse.
3) Finally to end the second episode a beloved and loyal pet is murdered by I think one of the good guys(father).

If I understand the premise these kingdoms have been around 8,000 years with no progress.

Amusingly, these are some of the reasons I like the series (and the books). There are plenty of fantasy stories out there where nothing bad ever happens to good people (or children, or pets) and where the "good guys" always triumph. This is definitely not that sort of story. Despite being fantasy, parts of it are pretty gritty and realistic depictions of life in the middle ages. Children (and especially "commoner" children) did get killed... a lot.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#18 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-28, 00:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-April-27, 23:29, said:

Elianna, I haven't read the books, so this is from a "virgin" standpoint with the series. I think Cat is a horrible person, the way she treated John Snow really drove it home. Loving the series fwiw

I've been trying not to say anything that would spoil the series for those who haven't read the books (or at least put it in spoiler text, and even that is not too specific, I hope).

I'm glad that you're loving the series. I am really impressed with the good job that they are doing with the whole "feel" from the books.

This is not a spoiler, but what sealed the deal on the Cat hate from me is in the book, during Jon's goodbye to Bran, she told him that she wished it were Jon that had fallen. That's what I think that they cut to try to make her less hateful.

#19 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-28, 00:07

Also, to show how nerdy Adam and I are:

Attached File  041611_HBO_LA__0556 copy.jpg (85.52K)
Number of downloads: 30

(and there's two more versions where that came from. :) )

#20 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-28, 03:47

View Postawm, on 2011-April-27, 23:45, said:

Amusingly, these are some of the reasons I like the series (and the books). There are plenty of fantasy stories out there where nothing bad ever happens to good people (or children, or pets) and where the "good guys" always triumph. This is definitely not that sort of story. Despite being fantasy, parts of it are pretty gritty and realistic depictions of life in the middle ages. Children (and especially "commoner" children) did get killed... a lot.

This is one of the most interesting open ended questions about the series

Will the mass market accept a series

1. Without clearly identified heroes and villains
2. With so much casual cruelty

The science fiction / fantasy community clearly has. A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the most popular series in recent memory. Where this has mass market appeal is another question. I wonder whether ratings might start dropping precipitously as life in Westeros gets progressively more grim.
Alderaan delenda est

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users