• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones

#161 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-10, 20:09

No spoilers

I'm not a fan of how Tyrion interacts with Shae in this season at least and probably last season but I don't remember being so peeved about it. I know he's supposed to be overcome with emotions and what not, but they've made him too mollified and beta, as if he's suppliant to Shea, which imo is not at all in line with his character. It would never have occurred to me to describe him as whiny and pitiful, but he certainly demonstrated some of those qualities in the last episode.
OK
bed

#162 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-10, 20:15

possible spoiler theory

Spoiler

OK
bed

#163 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-13, 08:52

View Postjjbrr, on 2013-April-10, 20:09, said:

No spoilers

I'm not a fan of how Tyrion interacts with Shae in this season at least and probably last season but I don't remember being so peeved about it. I know he's supposed to be overcome with emotions and what not, but they've made him too mollified and beta, as if he's suppliant to Shea, which imo is not at all in line with his character. It would never have occurred to me to describe him as whiny and pitiful, but he certainly demonstrated some of those qualities in the last episode.

I think it's the only thing that makes sense given his experience with women (getting burned by his first wife the whore), combined with being a dwarf, the guy is gonna have no confidence at all with women and then comes this beautiful woman who has stuck by him and shown him love, no doubt hes gonna be WHIPPED son lol.

#164 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-14, 00:59

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-April-13, 08:52, said:

I think it's the only thing that makes sense given his experience with women (getting burned by his first wife the whore), combined with being a dwarf, the guy is gonna have no confidence at all with women and then comes this beautiful woman who has stuck by him and shown him love, no doubt hes gonna be WHIPPED son lol.

He also has the added danger that she's forbidden to him, and a weakness for him (others can use her against him), and in constant danger. All of that would act to reinforce her importance to him.

#165 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 14:38

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-April-13, 08:52, said:

(Don't know how to do the spoiler alert code :-s)(thanks jjbrr I did it)

Spoiler

"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#166 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 20:36

Rain, [&spoiler]your message[/spoiler] but remove the & in the first bracket

Yes, I agree it is a problem. Like I said I completely forgot about Tysha and didn't realize it's a big deal, but it's huge in the books.

The attack of the Others at the Fist was also a big deal in the book and we were provided no details in the show, so there's a huge gap in how much the audience knows.
OK
bed

#167 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-03, 14:42

I don't really know what has been happening but seems that people finally realiced what I anticipated 2 years ago... the series suck. TOLD YOU!

#168 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-03, 15:08

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 14:42, said:

I don't really know what has been happening but seems that people finally realiced what I anticipated 2 years ago... the series suck. TOLD YOU!

Not the reaction that I've been seeing/hearing
Alderaan delenda est

#169 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 15:18

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-June-03, 15:08, said:

Not the reaction that I've been seeing/hearing

A little extraction of the ones I've seen...

Spoiler

#170 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-03, 15:30

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 15:18, said:

As someone who got HBO a month ago and caught up on all of season 2 and 3 I found last nights episode very shocking, however I don't think the show sucks.

Spoilers only if you haven't seen the last episode
Spoiler

Is there anyway to watch Season 1 without buying/stealing it?

#171 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-03, 16:27

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 15:18, said:

I see this as a sign that the writers, actors, and producers did a great job getting folks to care about the characters...
Alderaan delenda est

#172 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 17:24

lol its so funny, I have never seen even a minute of the tv series after I hated the first books so much, but looking at people's Red Wedding's reactions I might make an exception and just watch that single chapter.

I can understand that some kind of special people like the change of the good guys all dying around, I mean its like watching real life politics, the few honest politicians are get rid of quickly while the worse snakes climb up. But if you want to make it real... why do you put dragons on it?

#173 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-03, 19:18

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 17:24, said:

lol its so funny, I have never seen even a minute of the tv series after I hated the first books so much, but looking at people's Red Wedding's reactions I might make an exception and just watch that single chapter.

I can understand that some kind of special people like the change of the good guys all dying around, I mean its like watching real life politics, the few honest politicians are get rid of quickly while the worse snakes climb up. But if you want to make it real... why do you put dragons on it?

There is a draw to watching real people in unreal situations, less so for watching unreal people in unreal situations. Sad that you can't enjoy the distinction, you are missing out!

#174 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 20:12

off topic: I don't fully understand the meaning of draw on the above post.

#175 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 20:23

And to answer Richard and dwar... I don't think it is that hard to like GoT, but the problem is, it deceives you!, it starts as a great Epic book, but it has nothing to do with Epic, its the opposite, and by the time you realize it is not about that it is too late and you are pissed off completely.

This is a bit personal, but I also though it was so totally artificial the way the author killed Eddard, he wasted a lot of time to make you think Eddard was smart, and then he makes child mistake which not only costs his life but is partially responsible of every kill thereafter.

#176 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-June-04, 01:07

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 20:12, said:

off topic: I don't fully understand the meaning of draw on the above post.

draw = attraction
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#177 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-04, 07:20

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-03, 20:23, said:

And to answer Richard and dwar... I don't think it is that hard to like GoT, but the problem is, it deceives you!, it starts as a great Epic book, but it has nothing to do with Epic, its the opposite, and by the time you realize it is not about that it is too late and you are pissed off completely.

This is a bit personal, but I also though it was so totally artificial the way the author killed Eddard, he wasted a lot of time to make you think Eddard was smart, and then he makes child mistake which not only costs his life but is partially responsible of every kill thereafter.

I get where you are coming from. I read the first book and didn't like it at all. It was IMO poor fiction .. plenty of plot but no story, no long term narrative that I could identify. Characters presented as significant, with strongly indicated future plot lines, are trivially killed. To me it had very much a "making it up as he went" feeling.

Although I see how this could make better material for a television series, where a consistent long-term story is not really expected.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#178 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-04, 07:51

View Postbillw55, on 2013-June-04, 07:20, said:

Characters presented as significant, with strongly indicated future plot lines, are trivially killed. To me it had very much a "making it up as he went" feeling.

Game of Thrones is clearly inspired (in part) by the War of the Roses.

If there is one thing that conflict showed its the ephemeral characteristic of major "characters"

Leading contenders for the throne and kingmakers like Richard of York and the Earl of Warwick were constantly being killed in battle or executed.
By the end of the wars, so many major players had been disposed of that the throne eventually fell to Henry Tudor.

I don't think that Martin is making this up as he goes along. Rather, he's doing a great job introducing more complexity into the fantasy genre...
Alderaan delenda est

#179 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-04, 13:51

While certainly @kendrasaurusrex and @acute_delirium are two of the most influential TV critics of our time, and we must concede that game of thrones does, indeed, suck, as fluffy so accurately foretold, the frauds at Grantland wrote a pretty good review of the most recent episode.
OK
bed

#180 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 14:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-June-04, 07:51, said:

Game of Thrones is clearly inspired (in part) by the War of the Roses.

If there is one thing that conflict showed its the ephemeral characteristic of major "characters"

Leading contenders for the throne and kingmakers like Richard of York and the Earl of Warwick were constantly being killed in battle or executed.
By the end of the wars, so many major players had been disposed of that the throne eventually fell to Henry Tudor.

I don't think that Martin is making this up as he goes along. Rather, he's doing a great job introducing more complexity into the fantasy genre...

I suppose he has his sources. Perhaps it is a personal preference for me, I like character driven fiction.

I would not say that he "introduced" complexity to the genre: see the Wheel of Time for example, which is plenty complex. Still, it seems fair to say GoT is more complex than most.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users