• You cannot reply to this topic

WBF Women's Festival

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-April-14, 08:04

Can someone tell me, are the "WBF Women's Festival" tournaments in any way associated with the "World Bridge Federation" or is the WBF "Women's Bridge
Festival"?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-14, 08:09

They are a WBF event:

http://www.worldbrid...ne/Online11.asp

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-April-14, 08:36

Thanks. I'm surprised and disappointed to see the WBF running a game that bans psyches, undo's and forces a person who makes a misbid to advise their opponents, in private, of the mistake.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 08:58

if i were a woman i would feel a trifle patronised for them to have a set of rules treating women akin to beginners.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 09:16

From the organizers:

The Rules have been set by the WBF Womens Committee together with BBO Italia (who are responsible for organizing the event on BBO). When they made these rules they felt such a decision is more appropriate for the online environment and it would help create a friendly atmosphere.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 09:25

I made a similar comment to jb's to the organisers last year. They said then that they would examine the rules for the future, so now it seems that this is really what they want.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-April-14, 09:31

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-April-14, 09:16, said:

From the organizers:

The Rules have been set by the WBF Womens Committee together with BBO Italia (who are responsible for organizing the event on BBO). When they made these rules they felt such a decision is more appropriate for the online environment and it would help create a friendly atmosphere.

As I recall, the Italian Bridge Federation bans pysches in face-2-face play...
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   vincenzo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-April-14, 10:33

Yes,

I confirm that Italian Bridge Federation bans psyches at bridge club tourneys. Main reason is to "protect" average players from experts. During national championships psyches are admitted.

For condition of context of Women Club tourneys:

http://www.wbfwomens...ticipation.html

Rules & Regulations

that I agree with WBF Womens Committee 3 years ago.

Offcorse every thing can change, we can think to make next year the festival more "competitive" and less "friendly", but is this the right formula ?

For sure it has not been this our intention 3 years ago

Vincenzo
Vincenzo Delle Cave
info@bridgebase.it
www.bridgebase.it

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-April-14, 15:36

View Postvincenzo, on 2011-April-14, 10:33, said:

Yes,

I confirm that Italian Bridge Federation bans psyches at bridge club tourneys. Main reason is to "protect" average players from experts. During national championships psyches are admitted.

This regulation directly conflicts with Law 40C1 and hence violates Law 80B2f, so it's illegal. That said, I'm sure the IBF doesn't give a damn about my opinion. <_<
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 19:15

Why should ACBL be the only RA that flagrantly ignores the Laws?

#11 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-16, 12:42

Still feels wrong to have to inform opponents when you misbid. Just the TD would be fairer.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 17:40

View Postwank, on 2011-April-14, 08:58, said:

if i were a woman i would feel a trifle patronised for them to have a set of rules treating women akin to beginners.

If you were a woman, wouldn't you feel a trifle patronised by the existence of this event?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-17, 09:02

View Postgnasher, on 2014-November-16, 17:40, said:

If you were a woman, wouldn't you feel a trifle patronised by the existence of this event?

nope :)
What I do wonder though, is why all the tourneys are short. The ACBL special events were 10 boards, these ones only 10 boards...all paid for events. Trying to get more events into the time available? Do more people play if the tourney is short? Trying to appeal to a different group of players? It would be interesting to know the rationale, since there are still free tourneys available, it would seem that at least some paid events should be matching them in terms of numbers of boards.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-17, 09:39

View Postonoway, on 2014-November-17, 09:02, said:

nope :)
What I do wonder though, is why all the tourneys are short. The ACBL special events were 10 boards, these ones only 10 boards...all paid for events. Trying to get more events into the time available? Do more people play if the tourney is short? Trying to appeal to a different group of players? It would be interesting to know the rationale, since there are still free tourneys available, it would seem that at least some paid events should be matching them in terms of numbers of boards.

Probably that more people play if it is short. Playing online is not like going out for an evening's duplicate; people's time commitment is much more variable. The relatively few boards would for the same reason result in fewer people dropping out.

Anyway it seems to be a winning formula, otherwise why would people pay for tournaments when there are free ones available.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-17, 09:52

Long tournaments on BBO have never done well.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-17, 09:56

I suspect the logic is this: there are lots of women who play social bridge, but not duplicate, and they're trying to attract them. So they made the rules conservative to avoid putting them off.

It's not that women, as a gender, need to be coddled, but that people not accustomed to tournament bridge would be more comfortable.

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-November-18, 04:30

I don't. Presumably the existence of this event hints that the organizers think that some women for whatever reason would like occasinaly to try a woman-only event.

There could be all kind of reasons for that. For example, sometimes I got so fed up with partners that asked me about my breast size after the event that I would be inclined to play a straight-women-and-gay-men-only tourney next time.

But even if I drew the conclusion that the reason must be that the organizers think that gender profiling is an efficient way of identifying players who would like a low-level, nonserious, chatty and psyche-free environment, I still wouldn't patronized because:
- There are billions of sexists out there. What else is new. Why would I be surprised, or care, if a few of them happen to organize online bridge?
- If someone states that the average woman/Dane/Statistician/whatnot is a lousy bridge players with smelly socks, why should I take it personally? They didn't say that I am a bad bridge player with smelly socks.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-18, 12:03

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-18, 04:30, said:

There could be all kind of reasons for that. For example, sometimes I got so fed up with partners that asked me about my breast size after the event that I would be inclined to play a straight-women-and-gay-men-only tourney next time.

Would there be any point to reporting this kind of harassment?
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-19, 10:47

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-18, 04:30, said:

What kinds of neanderthals attend your bridge tournaments? I can't imagine anyone making such comments in any venue these days, short of a pickup bar.

#20 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 11:09

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-19, 10:47, said:

What kinds of neanderthals attend your bridge tournaments? I can't imagine anyone making such comments in any venue these days, short of a pickup bar.

Or an online website.

Can't believe people don't realize how much sexist stuff and comments anyone with a vaguely female username is subjected to on the internet, without provoking it in ANY way, simply for being online.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users