BBO Discussion Forums: What Are We Playing Partner? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are We Playing Partner?

#1 User is offline   Cromlyn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Playing Bridge, Reading about Bridge, Reading about History, Walking and Dancing

Posted 2011-March-03, 04:39

You pickup a partner and he or she has no information on their profile. You ask what they are playing but there is no response. Probably they don't speak English. What do you play?

Do you assume they will play your profile?

Do you assume they are playing SAYC?

If you are in the Acol room do you assume they are playing Acol? After all they might have wandered into it by accident and not know they are in that area?

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-March-03, 09:33

I'd assume 5 card Majors, minors depend on the country, strong NT, 4NT always blacky.

If you're in the ACOL room, I guess you have to assume ACOL obviously... :rolleyes:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2011-March-03, 13:25

>>You pickup a partner and he or she has no information on their profile. You ask what they are playing but there is no response. Probably they don't speak English. What do you play?

Why even play with that person? How many decent players have no information. A true expert would have something like "I'll play your system". But to have nothing is probably indicative of a bad player.

I would assume 5 card majors, a strong NT, and that forcing bids (esp. Revereses) will be passed, and that this type of bididng will occur:

You Opp Pard Opp
2S (weak) p p X
p 3C 3S p
p X

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-March-03, 16:28

View PostArcLight, on 2011-March-03, 13:25, said:

>>You pickup a partner and he or she has no information on their profile. You ask what they are playing but there is no response. Probably they don't speak English. What do you play?

Why even play with that person? How many decent players have no information. A true expert would have something like "I'll play your system". But to have nothing is probably indicative of a bad player.

I would assume 5 card majors, a strong NT, and that forcing bids (esp. Revereses) will be passed, and that this type of bididng will occur:

You Opp Pard Opp
2S (weak) p p X
p 3C 3S p
p X

I wouldn't rush to label a player without a profile as bad. More often than you one might think newcomers to BBO do not know how to fill in their profile, or prefer to take a look before they decide what to write there. Checking the number of logins in their profile is usually a good idea - it gives indication as to why that person is not answering, or why they have no profile.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users