• You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding is 80% of bridge ACBL

#21 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-February-22, 15:50

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-February-22, 14:37, said:

2) Cardplay is harder to improve in, and it is more boring and concrete. Bidding on the other hand you can change your system all the time, make a few things more optimal, and really feel like you are making big improvements to your game. It is also more fun. It is just people lying to themselves. It is the same reason that almost all threads are about bidding and not play, no one can be proven wrong in a bidding thread, and people can debate it endlessly. On a cardplay thread we just get rainer posting the solution and everyone nodding...not that conducive to discussion, or being able to hold a view and keep thinking that you're right! It is the same reason that bridge teachers even at the lowest level teach bidding classes rather than play classes, and *cringe* teach conventions. People want to come away from a lesson feeling like they learned something, like they made some tangible gain. Going home and saying "look, I know kickback, it's going to save me so much room!" is a lot more rewarding than saying "well we went over some hands and I counted winners and losers and figured out what to do with my losers, blah, basically the same stuff I already knew..."

Dynamite (word that rhymes with 'hit') here.

LOL - hit a filter.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#22 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-22, 16:58

While I agree with Justin that bridge teachers often spend too much time teaching conventions, there are a few things that should be mentioned...

One is that this is sometimes by students' requests. Elianna teaches bridge to a bunch of beginner/intermediate types and often tries to focus on play or defense. But the students often request lessons about jacoby 2NT or whatever convention. So sometimes this is a "pleasing the students" issue.

Second is that generating practice hands for a bidding convention is usually a lot easier than generating hands for a particular theme in play or defense. So sometimes it's a "minimizing workload" issue too.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#23 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-22, 17:07

View Postawm, on 2011-February-22, 16:58, said:

While I agree with Justin that bridge teachers often spend too much time teaching conventions, there are a few things that should be mentioned...

One is that this is sometimes by students' requests. Elianna teaches bridge to a bunch of beginner/intermediate types and often tries to focus on play or defense. But the students often request lessons about jacoby 2NT or whatever convention. So sometimes this is a "pleasing the students" issue.

Second is that generating practice hands for a bidding convention is usually a lot easier than generating hands for a particular theme in play or defense. So sometimes it's a "minimizing workload" issue too.

I agree with this, I think both teachers and players tend to want to teach/learn conventions etc. As I said, it gives them a sense of accomplishment and that they have learned something new and useful. It is human nature.

#24 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-22, 20:44

In my defense, I actually DO lessons about playing the hand every week (we meet once a week), I teach it constructively (meaning that they play a few hands, and then build the "how to play" meaning from that, rather than me telling them how to play certain hands, though, and only occasionally highlight certain plays to watch for. But most of our discussion after the hands is how to play better, or how to defend better.

I think that beginners execute play ideas better when they can come up with the ideas (guided by a teacher) themselves, rather having someone tell them how they should play types of hands. This way they can come up with ways to recognize themes in play of the hand, and can have better recall.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#25 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-22, 21:13

The EasyBridge! lesson series is excellent for beginners in my opinion in that it says very early that if you get to the right contract, you don't have to play the cards so well.

Bidding is the biggest learning curve for beginners that may (or not) have a background in play of the cards. The higher levels of play are apples to oranges.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-February-22, 21:13

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-February-22, 21:13, said:

The EasyBridge! lesson series is excellent for beginners in my opinion in that it says very early that if you get to the right contract, you don't have to play the cards so well.

Yeah that's a nice lie

#27 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-February-22, 22:01

View Postbarmar, on 2011-February-22, 15:02, said:

Also, bidding problems are more amenable to those types of contests; it's hard to pose play problems in a similar format (MSC will sometimes have an opening lead problem, but it's hard to go much beyond that in the play).

Richard Pavlicek managed to do it for 7 years...

#28 User is offline   MarkDean 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-22, 22:03

I agree card play is way more important than bidding.
I am relatively better card player than bidder, but even so, going over my own results, many more MPs/IMPs are lost in play than in bidding.
I am interested if those saying bidding is more important go over their results over a large number of hands.

#29 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 00:29

Why is there, a mention of ACBL in the title of this thread?

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 00:58

Because that's where the original poster is.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 06:08

View PostTrumpace, on 2011-February-23, 00:29, said:

Why is there, a mention of ACBL in the title of this thread?

In Australia, with its lack of system restrictions, bidding is actually 90% of bridge instead of 80%.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#32 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 08:26

There are 2 reasons people like to think bidding is 80 % of the game.

1) As has been said here, maybe when the blue team played the aces, or the diamond team plays the fleisher team, 80 % of the swings were bidding because their card play was near perfect. I can accept that, but that is only because they are at the very highest level and they all play the hands very well. This does not apply to you if you are not on one of the top 10 teams in the country.

2) Cardplay is harder to improve in, and it is more boring and concrete. Bidding on the other hand you can change your system all the time, make a few things more optimal, and really feel like you are making big improvements to your game. It is also more fun. It is just people lying to themselves. It is the same reason that almost all threads are about bidding and not play, no one can be proven wrong in a bidding thread, and people can debate it endlessly. On a cardplay thread we just get rainer posting the solution and everyone nodding...not that conducive to discussion, or being able to hold a view and keep thinking that you're right! It is the same reason that bridge teachers even at the lowest level teach bidding classes rather than play classes, and *cringe* teach conventions. People want to come away from a lesson feeling like they learned something, like they made some tangible gain. Going home and saying "look, I know kickback, it's going to save me so much room!" is a lot more rewarding than saying "well we went over some hands and I counted winners and losers and figured out what to do with my losers, blah, basically the same stuff I already knew..."

As roger said, there is no shortage of people who WANT to believe that bidding is 80 % of the game, unfortunately it is more like 10 %.

I'd add a 3rd. If I'm playing a team (or a field) that is significantly better than I am, I can't hope to win by suddenly playing the cards better (I'm incapable). I can hope to win by bidding better/differently than my opponents.

Many years ago, after playing in the Open BAM at the Fall NABC, my partner and I went through the hands and determined that for our team the result was determined by the bidding well over 50% of the time (I don't remember the exact number and it would be a case of small sample size anyway). Whether this was a good thing or a bad thing, I do not know. I will say that he has gone on to form a "standard" partnership and won the Platinum Pairs, so it may be reasonable to guess that he preferred to remove the difference-in-bidding from his game.

#33 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-February-23, 08:49

I think bidding is more than 10% important. I'd say about a 15% or 20%. The thing with bidding is that there are many more possibilities and it seems very important (being the first part of the game and having so many rules). Also, if you learn bridge and start playing and have bad results and go to a teacher s/he'll add some conventions to your repertoire and you'll feel happier using them, naming them than going to a class and learning about planning the hand, etc. Also, people can get away with playing bad sometimes, I've seen so many people making 'mistakes' in the play and being rewarded by a friendly lie of the cards; and of course they think they're doing great. But a mistake in the bidding is easier to spot ('partner I just played in a 3-1 fit, you'd better learn splinters').

I do agree with all the previous comments on the importance of studying play and defense. These are the base of the game. And the numbers provided by the OP just show this: dummy play and defense just accounts for the 20% of difference in scores, that only means that their ability is so similar that it doesn't affect the score that much. And if you think that's not what it means, just check the way hands are played at that level, a beginner or intermidiate would hardly predict what happens, and an advanced player would usually just understand it.

And if anyone still doesn't believe it, I guess a team match could be set up between the two factions (those who believe bidding is 80% important, those who believe is less than 20% important) to play ... minibridge. Only play and defense abilities will matter there.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#34 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-February-23, 09:42

I think that Justin and Fred both raise some very good points...

With this said and done, I'd like to raise a couple points:

First
There seems to be a general assumption that "natural" bidding equates to "simple" bidding; That's its easier to play a natural system and reserve mental energy for card play, defense, etc. I'm not sure that this is necessarily true...

Second
I believe that choice of bidding system can (significantly) negate differences in skill level in declarer play, defense, etc. If I am going to be playing against a world class team in a monthes time, I'm not going to beat them by studying up on squeezes or signalling. What I can do is make sure that there is a significant amount of variance in the contracts that get played and hope that Lady Luck will negate their advantage in card play and defense...
Alderaan delenda est

#35 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-February-23, 09:47

If you are ever lucky enough to play a top 8 seed in the spingold, I think it will be painfully obvious to you that the reason you lose is because your opponents are not making mistakes in the cardplay, and it's winning them a lot of game (and maybe partscore) swings. That is the bread and butter of knockout matches. I find it laughable that anyone thinks they will come away from that experience thinking "Wow, I just got outbid!" or "80 % of the imps I lost were in the bidding :("
Heh. Last year, I played the 7th seed in the Spingold. The reason we lost was they made many more of the right decisions than wrong ones, and we made many more wrong ones than they did.

In other words, they bid to the right spot - and made it. We frequently did, at best, one of those two things. Minus IMPS, every time, whether it was our bidding that was substandard or our play that didn't rise to the level of our correct bidding. Lots of them, in total. In other words, you can be the best in the world at bidding, but if you can't make all your tricks, you're still -100 into the "bad" bidder's +170.

The one plus I had in that match (besides "I played in it" and "I wasn't a gibbering wreck or an asshole after losing by that much") was that we "made" all our doubled contracts (if it was a sacrifice, it was a paying sacrifice; if not, it made). On the other hand, they probably didn't need to double all that many contracts to beat us.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#36 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-February-23, 09:57

If you are ever lucky enough to play a top 8 seed in the spingold, I think it will be painfully obvious to you that the reason you lose is because your opponents are not making mistakes in the cardplay, and it's winning them a lot of game (and maybe partscore) swings. That is the bread and butter of knockout matches. I find it laughable that anyone thinks they will come away from that experience thinking "Wow, I just got outbid!" or "80 % of the imps I lost were in the bidding :("

One might argue that the rules of the Spingold - and most any other ACBL event - are rigged to eliminate high variance systems...
Alderaan delenda est

#37 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-February-23, 10:10

I agree that for most players their relative interest in bidding over cardplay is the wrong way around.

Another curiosity is that people seem more interested in uncontested auctions than in competitive ones. Again, that's the opposite of how it should be - there is far more to be gained or lost on deals where both sides are in the bidding.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#38 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 16:11

Not 80% or 10%, somewhere in the middle (at mps cardplay tends to be a little more important than at imps). Difficult to judge.
The level of the players probably means something. Not clear what.
Michael Askgaard

#39 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-24, 02:59

I think when you compare worldclass top pairs / teams with each other, as Justin said what matters will be bidding overall. But that doesnt mean bidding is prior to play, since one of the parameters are equaled (card play)

However, when u compare EXPERT players vs NON EXPERT players, the outcome will be deceptive also. Yes, non expert players will be outgunned when it comes to defense and cardplay BUT ! Is this a proof of card play skills being prior to bidding in bridge ?

I strongly doubt it. Because after all, u are comparing EXPERTS who by the way, bids AT LEAST as well as non experts (in reality much better imo), and definetely plays or defend better than non experts. Thats not a proof of PLAY being more important than BIDDING in BRIDGE.. This only proves that experts play/defend better than non experts.

If the topic was "Do experts win vs non experts mostly due to bidding or cardplay ?" Then i would accept this argument.

But the topic is about the importance of CARD PLAY/DEFENSE vs BIDDING in BRIDGE.

And in order to find that out we need to load one team with EXCELLENT bidding judgement and average play skills, and other team shd be loaded by EXCELLENT card play skills and average bidding judgement. Basically u will make one team bid hands by EXPERTS but the hands will be played by ADV players (or defend). While other team hands will be bid by ADV players and will be played by EXP players.

This would be more fair combat between BIDDING and PLAY SKILLS in bridge imo :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#40 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-February-24, 03:03

I think to bad players like me it's easier to ignore cardplay errors than bidding errors. What's even worse we sometimes just shrug and say "yes and what were we supposed to do? he had 10 tricks!" (defence) or "it was just a guess!" (declarer). In bidding I think even bad players tend to see the errors of their ways (even though it really makes no difference in the long run that they missed that thin game). Either way it never ceases to astonish me to hear people on my level (give or take a few imps) end at 50% or 0 imps after a pairs session and say "I made only one mistake in this session"! Sure enough maybe he didn't concede -1100 and all the games he bid were between 40% and 80%, but seriously, he defended 15 hands and declared 5!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users