BBO Discussion Forums: Declarer changes card played from dummy - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declarer changes card played from dummy

#81 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-28, 02:23

There are some people, when they disagree, I am not "worried": instead I find it a positive endorsement. :)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#82 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-March-06, 13:53

On 18 February 2011, blackshoe said "*I note that this is a bit different from the normal situation: when declarer designates a card from dummy, the card is played when he designates it (Law 45B, first clause of the first sentence), and dummy's placing it in the played position is merely administrative."

The ACBL disagrees with you (and me) regarding the phrase "after which" in Law 45B.

On 20 February 2015, in response to a question, ACBL informed me:

"Your description 'Law 45B says dummy’s card is a played card as soon as it is verbally called, not when dummy places the card in front of him' is incorrect. Law 45B clearly states 'dummy picks up the card and faces it on the table.'. Both actions by dummy are required to identify the card called by declarer as played.'

and in confirming that ACBL answer, ACBL's Dan Plato wrote:

"The person to the left of dummy simply should not play until that card in dummy is detached and put in a played position. It can be a painful and costly lesson to learn, but that is our interpretation of the law the way it is written.... If it was as you want to argue [the words 'after which' making one think dummy's card is officially played when verbally named by declarer], I believe the Law would stop after the phrase “after naming the card.” There would be no need to describe the physical action of the Dummy placing the card in a played position as it would be irrelevant. It is not irrelevant—the descriptor of placing it in a played position is a part of the whole step required."

So ACBL says Law 45C4(a) COMMITS you to playing the named card - but it not YET a played card until removed from dummy and placed face up in a played position.

Law references below.

LAW 45B - Declarer plays a card from dummy by naming the card, after which dummy picks up the card and faces it on the table. In playing from dummy's hand, declarer may, if necessary, pick up the desired card himself.

LAW 45C4(a) - A card must be played if a player names or otherwise designates it as the card he proposes to play.

#83 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-March-06, 13:58

I guess you're the same one who started a thread about this in rec.games.bridge.

As I said there, I don't see any significant impact to this difference. Dummy's LHO playing before dummy moves the card into the played position is not an infraction (or if it is, there's no punishment for it).

#84 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-06, 16:55

The ACBL is wrong. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#85 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-March-06, 17:39

If the ACBL interpretation is correct, it would make many rulings regarding declarer's RHO easier - that player should be waiting for dummy's card to be removed from dummy before playing his card.

I don't care which interpretation is correct - just PLEASE get this information to members of the WBF and ACBL Laws Commission and have them re-write Law 45B so there is no possibility of ambiguity.

#86 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 17:53

I admit there is some logic in the ACBL interpretation because then the last act of dummy's card becoming officially played is identical whether (1) declarer verbally names the card or (2) declarer picks up the card himself to play it:

(1) declarer verbally names card, dummy removes card from dummy, card is placed face up outside of dummy

or

(2). declarer removes card from dummy, card is placed face up outside of dummy

and in each case, the first act listed (naming the card or declarer picking up dummy's card) commits declarer to play that card but is not yet officially played.

#87 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-06, 18:13

This topic would make an excellent new entry in ACBL's FAQ on law interpretations - but PLEASE ensure there are multiple confirmations (including with WBF and other significant bridge organizations) to make sure the correct meaning and interpretation are published.

If you do an internet search for "Law 45B" and "dummy", you will find dozens of references to those like blackshoe an myself who think the words "after which" indicates dummy's card is played when named, contrary to the information received by me from ACBL.

I admit there is some logic in the ACBL interpretation because then the last act of dummy's card becoming officially played is identical whether (1) declarer verbally names the card or (2) declarer picks up the card himself to play it:

(1) declarer verbally names card, dummy removes card from dummy, card is placed face up outside of dummy

or

(2). declarer removes card from dummy, card is placed face up outside of dummy

and in each case, the first act listed (naming the card or declarer picking up dummy's card) commits declarer to play that card but is not yet officially played.

#88 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-07, 11:55

Would it be possible for bluejak or blackshoe to make contact with some associated law commissions to see if the interpretation of Law 45B is different than ACBL's? Perhaps the EBU, Dutch, or the WBF itself?

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users