BBO Discussion Forums: Adjustment mayhem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjustment mayhem If trick 8 is in progress, something odd can happen.

#1 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-27, 20:35

When I discussed this with Rain, I seemed to have seen something that doesn't fit what he thinks is supposed to happen.

In the Geo USA my partner played this to trick 8 (in progress) when time ran out. After a short delay, the software announced an adjustment to -300 for declarer. At that point my score for the set was 65%. Moments later the score reverted to Ave and my score for the set dropped to 63.9%. While there's a lot of opportunity for abusing the system in these games by preventing getting the play through trick 8, my issue is that it is clearly a bug to tantalize me with an adjustment in my favor and then revoke it.

{comments}

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-28, 04:37

View PostTrialBid, on 2011-January-27, 20:35, said:

When I discussed this with Rain, I seemed to have seen something that doesn't fit what he thinks is supposed to happen.

In the Geo USA my partner played this to trick 8 (in progress) when time ran out. After a short delay, the software announced an adjustment to -300 for declarer. At that point my score for the set was 65%. Moments later the score reverted to Ave and my score for the set dropped to 63.9%. While there's a lot of opportunity for abusing the system in these games by preventing getting the play through trick 8, my issue is that it is clearly a bug to tantalize me with an adjustment in my favor and then revoke it.

{comments}

How is that a GIB bug- I think you have the wrong forum- maybe General Forum.

#3 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 13:32

GIB is the agent that does the adjustment--or at least is used to do the adjustment in automated tournaments and, as I understand it, MB$ hands. Why is that NOT a GIB bug and/or issue?

#4 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 17:54

GIB are the robots that will play out your hand and determine a result for adjustment. But if what you claim is true, that you encountered 2 adjustments instead of 1 because of timeout, that's not a GIB problem, but a software bug.

I still don't think it's a bug, as explained to you, but when Uday has time he may be able to examine records and see what happened.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2011-January-28, 22:11

There were 2 incomplete boards in the last round and both were adjusted

http://www.bridgebas...176701-52619841

One was at trialbid's table, and happened first.
The other was at lark55's table and happened immediately after.

So trialbid would have seen his score go from A== to 5♦W-3 , with a corresponding change in score.
Then, Lark55's result would have been adjusted, and again, trialbid would have seen a score change for himself.

That's the likely explanation, tho i can't explain why Trialbid would have seen the score go from A -> 5D -> A.

#6 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-29, 16:15

I believe I can offer some additional information.

What I looked at and reported was the tournament result as shown in the Web client as reflected after the tournament completed. Perhaps I should have taken a screen shot, but what apparently happened was that the second adjustment caused what was displayed for me to show as Ave and my score for the tourney to show as 63.89. In other words, the result stored in MyHands (which is correct) was out of sync with the tournament results displayed in real-time (what I saw).

By the way, what Rain was saying--that trick 8 has to be complete--is obviously untrue. What is the actual requirement?

#7 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2011-January-29, 20:53

Rain was right in that 'Trick 8' needs to be completed before the auto-readjuster kicks in and does something about that A==

In your case, Hand , you were in the middle of trick 9 ( 1 for NS, 8 for EW and one on the table).

This number isn't cast in stone - we've tried 9, and maybe "they" will want to try 7 but i think 8 is fine.

U

#8 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 06:05

View Postuday, on 2011-January-29, 20:53, said:

In your case, Hand , you were in the middle of trick 9 ( 1 for NS, 8 for EW and one on the table).

Hi Uday,

it was in fact in the middle of trick 9, but EW had won only 7 tricks so far. Myhands shows that it had been adjusted to 5-3. However, when I click on th GIB-button of the Handviewer-Movie, I am told that it will be -1 if North plays 4 and -2 otherwise. But the piece of software that provides the automatic adjustments thinks that -3 is the solution. This sounds like an error to me, though I have never experienced wrong automatic adjustments when playing myself.

BTW, in a case like that it is hard for a robot TD to decide what the fair adjustment should be. Maybe the robot just plays whatever is the best double-dummy action for this player. But I think when facing the decision most North players will ruff, because they cannot know that the holding of South, who opened , is so weak.

If the robot TD just had given the hand to 4 GIB robots and let them finish it, I cannot believe that the result would have been -3. This would mean that the declarer GIB, who knows that all missing cards are in the South hand, makes severs mistakes. Can GIBs play so badly with so few cards left?

Karl

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users