• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Director's Duties

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-23, 15:30

During a game, a director is puring his 6th cup of coffee.

Near the kitchenette, an EW pair that finished the round early left the table and are talking about a pair they just played. One player, perhaps within earshot of a nearby table, says, "I think _____cheated on the last board".

What would you do?

(As usual, this is a roundabout way of asking another question I am curious about).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-January-23, 15:45

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-23, 15:30, said:

Near the kitchenette, an EW pair that finished the round early left the table and are talking about a pair they just played. One player, perhaps within earshot of a nearby table, says, "I think _____cheated on the last board".

I ask the table "perhaps within earshot" what they heard. If they heard identifiable accusations of cheating then my hands are tied and disciplinary procedures must be followed.

If the table did not hear enough for what was said to constitute a public accusation of cheating, then:
  • I warn the pair that they could have been overheard, and that would be a serious offence;
  • I ask if there is anything from the play at the table they wish to bring to my attention.

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-January-23, 15:48

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-23, 15:30, said:

During a game, a director is puring his 6th cup of coffee.

What would you do?

(As usual, this is a roundabout way of asking another question I am curious about).

I enquire of the pair exactly what they were talking about.

Sometimes players say "cheat" when talking to someone they are familiar with as a substitute for something that they don't really consider cheating or they are mislead and attribute motives to something that was purely accidental.

If it turns out that you believe there was no cheating or that the allegation included insufficient evidence that cheating had occurred I would warn them not to spread that rumour and if necessary and I heard or a continuation of the allegations I would apply some disciplinary penalty or worse. I had a case once where I told a pair that if they repeated their allegations to other players in the room during the session I would remove them from the tournament and their would be subsequent disciplinary action.

If their accusation did have substance again I would tell them not to publically make the allegation and investigate the cheating appropriately.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-23, 16:58

This is in line with my understanding of what a Director is supposed to do. This example occurs during the game, and within the playing area. Robin, assume that the other table did hear the conversation.

What prompted my question is what if the same conversation takes place before or after the session, or outside the playing area?
Hi y'all!

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-January-23, 17:28

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-23, 16:58, said:

This example occurs during the game, and within the playing area. Robin, assume that the other table did hear the conversation.

In the EBU, this would be a breach of the "Best Behaviour at Bridge" code. This would result in a standard disciplinary fine: twice the standard amount = 20% of a top. Any disciplinary fine also results in a record of the fine being sent to the regulating authority or tournament organiser.

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-23, 16:58, said:

What prompted my question is what if the same conversation takes place before or after the session, or outside the playing area?

Again, I can only answer for EBU procedures. A TD is supposed to act on disciplinary offences that take place outside the playing time or outside the playing area, for instance in the bar after the end of the session. The full scope of this has not been tested but I think if the TD is "on duty" (including between sessions) and is "on site" (on the premises for the event) then he is expected to act. How fines are applied between events is not clear, but a record would be sent to the regulatory authority or tournament organiser.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-23, 17:38

If I'm not mistaken, the ACBL Code of Disciplinary Regulation (CDR) covers this kind of thing. There may also be something in the general conditions of contest. Both are available on the ACBL website. The procedures and jurisdiction are, as I recall, pretty similar to those Robin describes for the EBU.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-January-24, 21:06

I have personal experience which confuses matters for the EBU in my view.

On an occasion another player was extremely rude to me in the bar between sessions because I am a member of the EBU L&EC. He was also rude about all members of the EBU L&EC. As you can imagine he did not agree with one of our decisions. I removed myself from his area as quickly as possible.

The next day, at roughly the same time and place he was rude to me again: when I suggested he should not be he said "I shall be rude to every member of the L&EC I meet on every occasion I meet them". Now I said something or other back, it got somewhat heated, and while the vast majority of people present thought it hilarious, the DIC did not. He took 1 VP off us each - it was a Swiss Teams - and told us to behave and be quiet. Naturally I followed his instructions but the other player did not, continuing to shout at the top of his voice at the DIC. The DIC expelled him from the tournament.

On a different occasion a player was very rude to me in the bar at an event because I am the editor of th EBU Orange book. He was abusive and incredibly rude. The DIC [a different one from last time] was present and did nothing. I am fairly sure he did nothing because he felt his jurisdiction did not extend to the bar. This was after the last session of the day.

A year later at the same tournament I asked an official in the bar for advice on what to do on my day off. He was abusive, shockingly so, basically saying I should have researched the place in advance of the tournament and it was unreasonable to ask for advice. The same DIC as a year earlier again did nothing. While I have mentioned this to a senior member of the EBU she did not think anything should be done, and I have merely given up going to that tournament. Again, I feel the DIC felt it was not within his remit.

I think TDs in th EBU may have been given insufficient advice as to what action they should or should not take for disciplinary matters outside the playing area.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#8 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-24, 22:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-January-23, 17:38, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the ACBL Code of Disciplinary Regulation (CDR) covers this kind of thing. There may also be something in the general conditions of contest. Both are available on the ACBL website. The procedures and jurisdiction are, as I recall, pretty similar to those Robin describes for the EBU.

CDR
Hi y'all!

#9 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-25, 14:58

Just last night an opponent accused my partner and I of cheating in front of all present at the club!

I must confess that it was obvious to all concerned that it was obvious that his remarks were in jest, as my partner and I had just turned in a 72% game. (He and his parnter were a distant second.) Had I thought otherwise I would have called this to the attention of the director and expected some action on his part.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users