• This topic is locked

worth a second reading

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-January-22, 13:51

Suppose you are an advancing player and can handle yourself well wihtin the circles you play, you also have read a few books.

Which books would you benefit from reading again, by picking up insights you could not have picked up when reading or learning it for the first time.

I recently started rereading louis watson`s play of the hand, and half of the book was not there the fst time i read it.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-January-22, 15:30

I don't think anyone could read Adventures in Card Play too many times. I also don't think anyone could read that book for the 100th time and not catch something missed earlier.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-22, 16:36

If you have the time and the sufficient motivation, I think that its worth the effort to read a group of books until you have literally memorized every single hand.

I try to do this with all of the Kelsey books. When I don't recognize hands in Killing Defense, and I either have to work hard to get the problems correct or do not get them at all, I know that my skills have slipped.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-24, 10:56

The Expert Game, by Terence Reese

Definitely worth it.

#5 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-January-24, 11:26

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-22, 16:36, said:

If you have the time and the sufficient motivation, I think that its worth the effort to read a group of books until you have literally memorized every single hand.

I try to do this with all of the Kelsey books. When I don't recognize hands in Killing Defense, and I either have to work hard to get the problems correct or do not get them at all, I know that my skills have slipped.

Thanks Phil this sounds good.

When i read watson the fst time, i could understand very little and even the diagramas were hard to read, this on top of being a non-native speaker of english.

i think for the purpose of card play i should pick some of the sequences of bridge master-- the environment matches the one where i play-- i dont play live.

maybe a method of accomplishing this would be to actually copy the hands and comments onto those lin files for further study.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#6 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2011-February-17, 08:13

I own and have read a great many bridge books. And I have reread many of them.
I think any decent (Intermediate level and above) set of problems is well worth reading again.
Give yourself at least a year before rereading the same book.
If you find yourself thinking "Hmm, I wonder what to do if the trumps break 5-0? Maybe I better shorten my trumps just in case ..." then you are making progress.

All Kelsey books
Many Reese Books

PS Also do Bridge Master Problems, and reread books on deduction like How to Read Your Opponents Cards, and the ones by Kelsey, Dormer Kambites, etc. on this topic. Plus Counting at Bridge (CD) Vols 1&2

>>I don't think anyone could read Adventures in Card Play too many times. I also don't think anyone could read that book for the 100th time and not catch something missed earlier.

Waste of time. While the book is facinating, you are far better off spending your time thinking about what to do if trumps are 4-1 instead of how to play some once in a life time squeeze.
Or just read David Birds excellent book on Squeezes (Bridge Squuezes fro Everyone) and refine your ability to pull off a double squeeze.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-February-17, 19:53

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-January-22, 15:30, said:

I don't think anyone could read Adventures in Card Play too many times. I also don't think anyone could read that book for the 100th time and not catch something missed earlier.

I agree. I have read the first chapter about 20 times and have missed everything...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 08:35

My favorite local bridge pro says he still re-reads How To Read Your Opponents Cards, kind of like Jack Nicklaus still spends time each spring tuning up the fundamentals.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users