• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silly first trick play by GIB

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-04, 07:16

GIB (South) opens 1 second hand and we have an uncontested auction to 4 (I have no idea why GIB insisted on playing hearts when I bid NT twice). Opening lead is the 8. Why on earth did GIB hop up with the Q?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-January-04, 11:05

You need to know that a computer approaches bridge completely differently than a human.
First to the auction. Apparently you bid

1 - 2
2 - 2NT
3 - 3NT

The computer simulates hands and it seems it underestimated your holding, thus judging that 4 is the top contract.

In the play, it assumed (probably correctly) that King and Ten are in the same hand. In its simulation it found that only in very few or even no cases 4 depends on what card is played from dummy. The Queen has the advantage of an extra entry in dummy in case the lead was from KT8. Perhaps it overestimated the likelyhood of that. Anyway, GIB "errors" are quite different from human "errors".

Humans think in patterns, computers use double dummy solutions.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-04, 13:51

I think this auction also qualifies for my earlier "if you've described your hand and I've placed the contract, stop bidding" thread...

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-05, 00:12

GIB really dislikes letting you play in NT when it has a singleton, so it's not hard to understand why it runs with a void.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-05, 05:14

Well, I really dislike letting GIB play in 4 with a trump suit of K8754 vs. 32. But apparently, there is not much I can do about it?

(No Gerben, I didn't bid 2, the auction was as shown by Bb.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 17:09

View PostGerben42, on 2011-January-04, 11:05, said:

You need to know that a computer approaches bridge completely differently than a human.
First to the auction. Apparently you bid

1 - 2
2 - 2NT
3 - 3NT

The computer simulates hands and it seems it underestimated your holding, thus judging that 4 is the top contract.

In the play, it assumed (probably correctly) that King and Ten are in the same hand. In its simulation it found that only in very few or even no cases 4 depends on what card is played from dummy. The Queen has the advantage of an extra entry in dummy in case the lead was from KT8. Perhaps it overestimated the likelyhood of that. Anyway, GIB "errors" are quite different from human "errors".

Humans think in patterns, computers use double dummy solutions.

You mean GIB uses double-dummy solutions almost exlusively. No reason a computer program has to use double dummy solutions, of course the programmer would have to be less lazy and put a pile of heuristic (rules) in the program.

#7 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 17:10

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-January-05, 05:14, said:

Well, I really dislike letting GIB play in 4 with a trump suit of K8754 vs. 32. But apparently, there is not much I can do about it?

(No Gerben, I didn't bid 2, the auction was as shown by Bb.)

You can not play with GIBs or try 3NT straight off instead of 2NT- of course it will misinterpret.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users