BBO Discussion Forums: Double-then-bid at high level auctions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double-then-bid at high level auctions

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-December-06, 17:47

General question: on occasion you're stuck for a bid to show a two-suiter hand. One obvious eg is when your opps preempt to the three level before you get a bid. If you X and then partner unsurprisingly bids your short suit, if you then bid another, most of the partners I've tried this with have taken this as something like the hand I had - a two-suiter.

So should it be? And if so, is there a principle with which you can express when a new suit bid after a double is just running away from p's shortage rather than showing extra strength?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-06, 21:18

Are you asking immediate 2-suiter bids vs. delayed 2-suiter bids?
I much prefer immediate 2-suiter bids.
This frees my new suit bids for control bids
-- alerting partner to my problem.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-06, 21:20

View PostJinksy, on 2010-December-06, 17:47, said:

General question: on occasion you're stuck for a bid to show a two-suiter hand. One obvious eg is when your opps preempt to the three level before you get a bid. If you X and then partner unsurprisingly bids your short suit, if you then bid another, most of the partners I've tried this with have taken this as something like the hand I had - a two-suiter.

So should it be? And if so, is there a principle with which you can express when a new suit bid after a double is just running away from p's shortage rather than showing extra strength?

No, correcting pd's suit is NOT necesarilly a 2 suiter.

You would dbl 3 with AQxxxx x AKx Axx for example and correct 4 to 4, pd can still bid his suit, knowing our suit is not self sufficient , and you jump to 4 with a hand like AKJT9x xx AQx Kx for example. Unfortunately, eventhough a lot of partnerships who agreed that a 4 bid over 3, 4/ bid over 3 preempt are strong, it surprises me to see them not have discussed the difference between dbl followed by 4. It is not really the limit range difference as oppose to what they believe, it is the shape of hand.

What i wrote applies over a 3 level preempt opening. If what u meant was 1-pass-3-you, disregard what i wrote. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-07, 10:55

in england dble then bid your suit has generally shown a hand too strong to overcall. However many top players have begun to play dble and bid a suit as a strong flexible hand with a 5 card suit. This is particularly true after say (3h) ? and you have AKJxx x AKJxx Ax or something, many players would dble and bid 4s over 4c. However, you have to decide what do do with the semi preemptive hands that definately want to play game: AKJxxxxx - Axxx xx, and also the strong single suiter like AKJTxxx - AKx AJx. Some people prefer to put these hands through the cuebid and dble when 5-5. Others play non-leaping micheals here with a jump to game always strong, and the semi-pre hand just have to overcall. Its quite stylistic and I am not at all sure what is best.

Currently my style is to put the really strong single suiters through the cue bid when its available, and dble with strong flexible hands with 5 spades, even if 5-5. I also play leaping micheals where space exists. E.g. after a 3 heart preempt 4h = strong single suiter with p/c responses (essentially a slam try in your own hand) and dble can be 5-5 or strong and flexible (18-19 bal with a 5 card suit). After an auction like: (1h) p (2h) I play leaping micheals with 4H = both minors and 3H = stop ask for 3N or Very strong single suiter. Jumping to 3S shows a strong ish hand with a 6 card suit whereas jumping to 4s is weaker with a long suit.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users